Have you ordered from Hong Kong before?

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
yes i do think that there are brand new n900 sitting out there ...it's not a high demand item except for the few of us that are in the know.

I wonder if you could ship possibly to a fed ex and put a hold at location in the states then schedule ups to do a pick up at that location to ship to you lol that would be pretty funny ...I know that fedex nor ups will do redirects.

There are also 3rd party shippers though, that you could possibly get to do it. mailboxes etc is a pretty big one but I think they are affiliated with ups but it might be worth a try.

edit I have used sears as a mim but only for pillow cases covers lol and hong kong I ordered a replacement stylus and got ... I know a lot of ppl here bought scud batteries which I believe came from hong kong.

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2011-12-28 at 22:08.

Am I nuts for wanting a Nokia N900 instead of a N9?

Is it nuts that I MAY have tracked down an authentic one for $999 and I may buy it?

What phone are you using?

I just really want a proper Linux command line without a bunch of constricting company code (such as that Aegis? crap they are pulling with the N9)

Am I nuts?

I'm new to this Maemo/Meego addiction. Please guide me.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
Possibly. But you're in good company. Nokia's "Internet Tablet" line was one of the last series of mobile devices bucking Apple's lead of turning all smartphones into tiny television sets. Nowadays, all you're supposed to do with a smartphone is point your finger at it and say "oooh! ahhh!". They're built to play videos, play games, show pretty pictures. They aren't built to do actual work.

The N9 represents Nokia's attempt to turn their Internet Tablet line into just another "ooh, ahh!" device. Sadly, this means that there is now no major producer creating devices that are actually designed to get work done.

You know, I blame this all on Steve Jobs. He was the only leader with any vision left at any of the major mobile technology companies. He created a great product, and since nobody else seems willing or able to create their own great products, they've all just decided to follow his lead...

Anyway, that's my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Just so you know, A new in box, factory sealed phone these days go for 500+USD And also depends on how many others want it,

so... if you not looking at spending this kind of money, settle for a nice cheap refurbished one from china, there's nothing wrong with them (mine at least!) I have two of them, one which I use everyday.

I know someone that works for a mobile phone company that has them but wont sell me one!!

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Just so you know, A new in box, factory sealed phone these days go for 500+USD And also depends on how many others want it,

so... if you not looking at spending this kind of money, settle for a nice cheap refurbished one from china, there's nothing wrong with them (mine at least!) I have two of them, one which I use everyday.
Um, I think you are misunderstanding me. What I have tried to explain is that I am willing to pay most anything under $1500 for a new-in-box Nokia N900. I actually want one that badly to do some development on. The money isn't the issue - its that they are near impossible to track down.

This forum is essentially helping me find a place where I can buy a brand new N900 that will ship to Canada.

Cheers,

Abe

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
0o wow $1500
and for development?? you could by 6 refurbished ones for that!

Seriously, the china phones are legit Nokia's and just as good as my old 'New in box' one was and most likely better then a second hand phone.

Besides, once they are fully reflashed, they are all the same

Good luck tho.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post

I just really want a proper Linux command line without a bunch of constricting company code (such as that Aegis? crap they are pulling with the N9)
there's a couple of things

How important is a hardware keyboard to you?

Then it seems that you have something specific that you want to work on right away. The community is hellbent on burying aegis which they will. IDK what your forte/level is but that is a project, if I had the skill set, I would definitely be involved in.

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575

At about the 20th page you can see they are making progress. There will be a proper linux command line.

I am using a n900 but in time, I probably will migrate to the N9.

Well someone just posted a used N900 in the city. It is probably 4 out of 5 condition. Only has the charger - no other cables. Asking $250.

I am really wanting a new one.

Mike,

I am really appreciating your help. Depending how much time I have and how comfortable I find the architecture I will try to start working on some security related applications. We'll have to see.

As for your question about the keyboard: the truth is I would like the N950 but with N9 specs as well as the spirit of the N900 in regards to its' being like a swiss army knife. The N9 is a lovely phone but I suppose I want something more... industrial?.

Regardless, I will buy an N9 as soon as more leeway is made in the development. Heck, I may just go ahead and buy one along with the N900 - I'm prone to frivolity.

ANYWAY -TO THOSE READING THIS THREAD - I NEED A BRAND NEW, UNOPENED N900 TO QUENCH MY THIRST. FIND ONE AND I WILL HEAVY YOUR POCKETS WITH GOLD (or about $50 in Canadian "Toonies")

Also, it must be possible for me to ship it to the bland country called "Canada".

Thanks,

Abe

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
in indonesia, still had 3 branded news in nokia centre,

it cost around 520$

and u can contact me thru email or facebook

ibra.kalifa@gmail.com

Last edited by ibrakalifa; 2011-12-29 at 03:36.