Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Are there any browser updates? Last time I used Leste Firefox was working but bot slow and had problems with the top bar. Also had problems with synaptic that menus didn't show up.

For me Leste to be perfect daily driver :

Calls
Sms
Telegram
Signal
Videoplayer
Browser capable to open kid's school pages

Rss reader
Way to watch youtube (cutetube) without downloading

mSoma internet radio
Maps for driving

So I think not that far anymore.

Extras would be C64 emulator for demo watching and Picodrive for Psycho Pinball

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2021-11-03 at 09:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Calls and SMS. Yes. Wouldn't it be great.

Is mpv available on Leste? If yes, watching YT (with youtube-dl or yt-dlp) shouldn't be a problem.

You know you can listen to SomaFM with about any audio player, right?

About the browser, FF still has more overhead on javascript-heavy sites, Ungoogled Chromium might be the better choice here.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
No, didn't know that about mSoma. Chromium might be too much for N900 atleast for fast browsing. I recall Firefox was actually working with Leste ok meaning I can bare the pace. For me it is more important to get access reliably than how fast I get the access. Not of course wanting to wait minutes but I occasionally take my mind back in time loading a game from a cassette to play with C64. It gives a good perspective.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
No, didn't know that about mSoma.
https://dt.iki.fi/download-filetype-wget

The resulting .pls files can be opened in about any media player.
Of course you can also download them from each radio station's page: right-click the link => Save as...

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Chromium might be too much for N900 atleast for fast browsing. I recall Firefox was actually working with Leste
Current versions both?

Last edited by nonsuch; 2021-11-20 at 08:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Observations and feelings with the latest Leste image. None is to blame the once working hard on Leste. All praise to thee.

1. Didn't manage to dd the image on an sdcard. Over ten years linux user and total noob. Just see my signature. But linux mint has the usb image creator which did the job.

2. Booted to leste and went to check apps. I thought there were more. Have to look more thoroughly.

3. Installed QTBrowser. Quite unusable. The search did not function and on google search page no way to click accept for disclaimer.

4. The expandcard.sh script. You're gonna laugh. First of all I think it would be nice to have the script on the desktop. But yes, found it from /etc. Typed expandscript.sh. Nothing happens. Trying with sudo. Nothing happens. Run plus the name. Are you serious man? Yes. Also tried to cd to the .sh file. Had to search how to run .sh file. So ashamed. With ./ and in the /etc location and it worked, of course.

5. And then the thing which I always like to do. Sudo apt upgrade. Starts fine but ends to shutdown of the device and could not boot anymore. So started fresh image again, expand filesystem and upgrade, now plugged with the charger. Somewhat better, but still shutdown. Finally managed to boot Leste but because there was no longer wifi working started fresh again.

6. Chromium browser. Installs fine, now the window is rendered so that you get to all the controls even though a bit under the top bar of Leste. Can't remember how it was that you launch it in separate window. Have to check that. Have to also try to recall all the tweaks to make it work lighter and faster. With about:config. And to install xtab and leave only onr tab in use and some app which gives you opportunity to read only as text.

7. Synaptic. My saviour. I like it a lot. Last time it didn't show menus, only black. After some trials I finally first installed consolekit, then policykit-1 and then synaptic installed just fine. All the menus work and can be used een though a bit slow.

8. Firefox-esr. With sudo apt install did not install but with synaptic did. Hmm. But even though installed succesfully haven't got it to boot. I have tried all kinds of things, ./ firefox-esr in different locations, and with sudo, and with --no-sandbox which sometimes helps. Nada. Nothing works. I recall that maybe it needs to be a particular version cuse last time I used firefox-esr 68 which booted.

9. So odd to use sudo without needing to gainroot or needing any password. I haven't yet understood why it is like this and what I should do or I am supposed that I understand to do. Just sudoing everything without any barriers.

Next:

Gonna try untill it breaks, with browsers, youtube, telegram, signal, vlc, and some other stuff I would like to use like streamtuner which I couldn't get to work last time if I remember right. It is in this thread so gonna read firat the old tests and try them again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
How to lauch application in full mode to get rid of the Hildon top bar? Needed ASAP.

One thing would be really good to have. The killswitch for apps under the power button menu. I recall that in Fremantle you can have it. Now while trying these debian apps it really is needed cause the device freezes very easily. I should somehow get more ram but didn't understand the zram stuff.

Synaptic does have black menus still. My mistake saying they were working.

How to hide top bar? Would be very usefull to have a switch for it in settings or in thr settings when you press long on desktop and get the desktop menu. It could be easier or a workaround before getting all the debian app windoes to fit the screen / scale correctly.

Surf browser in apps has also top of page under top bar when launched.

I think the firefox-esr 78 to launch needs to have some rights added to it. Chmod or chown commands but how to do it? Has anyone got firefox to run on Leste? I had the 68 and I recall there was a reason why it had to be that version but can't remember what it was.

Nautilus filemanager works. Just should get rid of the top bar.

Tags
leste, maemo 7