Ladies and Gentlemen,

Some of you might recall from my posts a few weeks ago that I have recently come into my first Nokia N900.

I have very much enjoyed abandoning my iPhones for it. I rather wish the hardware was a little more up to date but the many other features specific to the N900 greatly outweigh any deficiencies in that department.

Things were going great. I had configured it to a state which actually reduced the trips I had to make to a full *Nix system (meaning, desktop/notebook,etc) when I received messages requiring my attention whilst out and about. Not only had it helped in work but it was also a nice hobby to play with when I found some free time. I had even begun working on two applications.

And then I dropped the bastard.

Naturally, the LCD let go its' lifeblood. Thankfully, nothing else appears to be damaged. I can't help it - I hate cases and can't bring myself to use one.

I found a shop in the city to order an LCD through after failing to find, after an admittedly brief search, a source that would ship to Canada. I can't tell you how often that has come to haunt me since being in this country. I discontinued the use of eBay some time ago after being disappointed too many times with it as well as PayPal.

Anyway, the real point of the post is to mention the following:

While ordering the part from the shop I casually asked the man if he could possibly obtain a new N900. He answered, "possibly", and called me back later claiming he could "after speaking with his supplier". If any of you have read my first posts here I expressed how impossible it was, at least in my search, to find any new N900s. I respectfully proceeded to tell the man how unlikely it was that his supplier actually could obtain a new, non-refurb, non-HongKong, non-used one. He assured me that there was zero doubt whatsoever that the item would be new. My excitement at finding a new one - after failing to find one in a month long search - overcame my reluctance and I paid him $500 (as well as a very costly "expedited" shipping fee) to place the order.

I would like to know what you guys think? Is there at all a decent chance that I will actually receive a new, unopened N900?

Aside from obvious details like chinese documentation and funny parts coming with the N900, are there any revealing details that would verify the authenticity? I mean other than common sense. Something like serial code checks et cetera.

As always, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and help.

Abe

Last edited by Old Abe; 2012-01-26 at 04:41.

It' quite possible. Even now, some people buy new N900's, or know shops, where it's possible, for ridiculous price (and yes, 500$ is ridiculous ). Considering, that You've used real N900, there is no chance that You might not recognize false one at first glance. I haven't heard about "high quality copies" - they haven't got further, than "resembling" keyboard and overall shape (without care for details).

Anyway, You're also planning to repair screen of old one and have two?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Estel,

I am indeed repairing my broken N900. The new one will be a backup.

Thanks,

Abe

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
two tips I tell people:
1. the chines boxs only have nokia, the genuine box has Nokia N900 with a picture embossed on it.
2. the chines dont include the tv cable!

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
bingomion,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm more concerned about getting a refurbished model. Aside from obvious wear that occurs in used devices is there some kind of log particular to the N900 that might show initial power on date or something to that effect. I have a few ideas particular to Linux logs that I will be checking but I was just wondering if anything particular to the Maemo platform might be unknown to me.

Thanks again,

Abe

There seems to be one going in this thread/post.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
i think it's possible abe. Ü i found 2 in 2 cities though i didn't buy them. they're both selling higher than the price i got my n900. hehe

An update on a saga you didn't care to hear in the first place (Please read the initial post to get the backstory):

So...

The guy at the shop that assured me over and over again that he could easily obtain an N900 from his "supplier" has turned out to be the typical deceptive sales person.

I went to a shop to order an LCD replacement. Whilst there, the clerk said he could get a new N900 no problem from his "supplier". I replied, "Find out how quickly and how easily because I have had back luck in that department. There are many refurbs being sold on the market as new." He called me back the following day and said that it wouldn't be a problem. I asked if he had actually spoken to the supplier and he said he wrote them a message. I said, "call me back when you have zero doubt about the transaction and you have heard back from said supplier". He called back the following day (three times) and said it would be no problem. I asked again if he had actually spoken with someone who confirmed it. He admitted that no, he had not. Again, I told him to call back. He called back three times a day for three days in a row. On the last day I returned his call and he said he had spoken to him and the item would ship as soon as I paid for it. I went by the shop and paid for it. Whilst there, I reiterated that I wanted it quickly and gladly paid overnight charges of $75 to acquire the phone. I actually said "I am paying a hefty overnight fee. I do not want that fee wasted by the phone not making it in the mail for days or you just pocketing the fee as profit but shipping it standard". (Note: I know how anal I must sound but I have lived in many countries and have encountered many, many dishonorable people and eventually I grew into a cynic. I'm actually really decent to people so I am constantly appalled when people act like animals).

The LCD he promised in 3-5 days. The phone, a week at most.

When a week had passed I called wondering what the delay was. He said he would call me back. The following day he hadn't called back by 5pm so I called him and he answered, without my saying a word, "Yes. Mr. ____, I will call you back" and then hung up. The following evening I called and he did literally the same thing, word for word. I called back an hour later and he tried to get off the phone but I made him answer my question and he said "The LCD is in customs and I'm sure the N900 has shipped". I told him I wanted to know when he found something out. Two days passed, no call. I phoned him and inquired and he said he had no clue again. Two days without a word and I call back. Same run around. I tell him I want to cancel my order. He says I can't. I disagree. He says his boss would call me back (I forgot to mention that he had used the most annoyed tone with me from the very first time I spoken with him after I had payed him. Prior to that he rang my phone like mad to make the deal). Today, no answer. I called back wanting to cancel. He again repeated "No." and that his boss would call me back any minute (that was three hours ago).

I know in the United States that this is illegal. Indeed, I verified that by reading over the law today. I can't find a clear answer on the Canadian law sites though it seems like the consumer has far less rights in this country (No surprise there. I've lived in Canada off and on for a number of years).

I was hoping a Canadian reader could shed some insight on my rights in this case. I have been out of an N900 for two of the 4.5 weeks I have owned one. I have a source to purchase a new one in Toronto who could have it in Montreal in two days.

I really do know this is an annoying post - as well as poorly written (I was in a hurry) - but I am annoyed and was on the maemo forum today anyway.

Thank you,

Abe

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post: