Active Topics

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Get the extra protocols from extras, not devel and not testing. It should work fine. Like I said once you've got your essential core stuff from extras, then look into devel and testing, and DONT update those parts that are working great for you, until they're in extras that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Get the Nexus S.

The Following User Says Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:
Actually, funny thing is. I took my own advice on this one. Got an HTC G2 for about 70 USD. Once it arrives in the mail, I'll likely shelf the N900 until a functioning MeeGo port comes along. Android isnt my thing, but I don't mind it too much and it's got better support.

OH, and please don't say to not install from testing and devel, I know you're not really supposed to if you're looking at stability, but testing and devel make the phone what it is.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-20 at 22:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
So I'm going to post this, more for my own edification, but also so I'm typing and not punching (if it goes south).

Reflashed my N900.
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin
RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin
Done, check, rebooted, cool.

Hit app manager, one update found - Documents to go installer, ok fine. done.

Back to app manager, (no other repos enabled or even created yet) download, all, Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversations and Contacts 0.7, installed.

exited app manager, go to settings, VoIP and IM accounts, hey look there's AIM....user/pass, looking at the advanced settings, yep all set, default server (no slogin) and port 5190...click sign in... wait...back to the accounts screen, account is there but not signing in.

So. Now the fun starts. Sit here and read this forum, and any other websites I can find that has an actual way to resolve this.

Again... why should I bother. Bear in mind I am chomping at the bit to pull the trigger on this thing. Like literally... 230gr FMJ... grrr

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Why 10.2010.13-2 Vanilla? Is there no 20.2010.36-2 Vanilla?
Never mind.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
So I'm going to post this, more for my own edification, but also so I'm typing and not punching (if it goes south).

Reflashed my N900.
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin
RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin
Done, check, rebooted, cool.

Hit app manager, one update found - Documents to go installer, ok fine. done.

Back to app manager, (no other repos enabled or even created yet) download, all, Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversations and Contacts 0.7, installed.

exited app manager, go to settings, VoIP and IM accounts, hey look there's AIM....user/pass, looking at the advanced settings, yep all set, default server (no slogin) and port 5190...click sign in... wait...back to the accounts screen, account is there but not signing in.

So. Now the fun starts. Sit here and read this forum, and any other websites I can find that has an actual way to resolve this.

Again... why should I bother. Bear in mind I am chomping at the bit to pull the trigger on this thing. Like literally... 230gr FMJ... grrr
if u want to debug: go into rootshell; type apt-get install syslogd. install aim and then type in rootshell cat /var/log/syslog and lookt what error it can be. but beware syslog can fill up all disk space. then u can't boot anymore. best is to delete it after u found the bug i,e. uninstall syslog apt-get remove syslogd. Or u can install debianutils and rotate the logs with syslog and savelog.

Thanks for reading!

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Chripes... This is why I post things when i get this mad. I completely forgot about syslogd...

Going to make another thread, getting more detailed info and switching topics in my own thread = bad form.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Ireland
I am selling my Samsung Galaxy S and going back to the N900. Just though i would explain why in here.

I know each case is different but personally I found that android offered me nothing significantly extra over what I had in the n900.

I looked at my day to day usage and compared each.

Car kit works the same in Galaxy and N900 (slight tweak needed but working perfectly). Draw

N900 has bigger internal storage for music and pictures. N900 Win

Similar to the last one, N900 camera is far better. For photos I find it has better performance in odd light levels,(from within a car). N900 Win

Google maps and navigation is not crutial but I use it. Galaxy win

Ability to interact easily with friends over skype, msn, facebook etc... N900 win by a country mile.

Form factor, how comfortable is it in the pocket, Galaxy win

Screen clarity, reading in bright light, Galaxy Win

day to day functionality. N900 win
The fact that I have returned to bringing my n900 with me to work and using the galaxy as a hotspot for it says a lot. It's easier to use due to the keyboard.

Mobile hotspot. Draw

I could keep going like this all day but in my head the scales eventually tipped so far in favour of the n900 I had to go back to it. I think people should evaluate what they need/want before changing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feighery For This Useful Post:
There are basically two things that make me keep my N900.
The amazing integration of IM/SMS services, one interface that merges all messages from all contacts into one...i haven't seen that on any other platform, and i just lub it soooo much.
Secondly then i want a physical keyboard, which limits my options significantly - and the android options have all gotten negative reviews about keyboard build quality and/or typing experience. N900 has a very good keyboard, which also received very good reviews when it was launched.

But certainly there are things that annoy me about the N900, i just don't think i would find that i really would be much more satisfied if i switched, i'd be annoyed with losing the functionality i have, but be pleased with the more smooth UI experience of an android phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scion For This Useful Post:
N900 is step 4 of 5. So keep it.

....Was I convincing enough?

Last edited by patlak; 2011-01-21 at 14:16. Reason: forgot damn question mark

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:

Tags
compare-choose, keep it, sell it, taggggg