Active Topics

I have discovered that reflashing does NOT erase all information or programs in the 800. Is there a step I am missing to completly clear the unit so I can install programs without the unable to install errors? I have a second 800 and they do NOT act the same. Cant even get Skype to install...
Thanks

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Reflashing does clear everything, unless you somehow managed to contruct a JTAG plug and mess up something there.

Are you perhaps restoring a backup?

I have two units I have been evaluating. I finally have been able to get all the apps I need working on one of the two (call it A).

The important ones (in the install order) are Notes, Xournal, OMWeather, (install and delete Rhapsody), Gnumeric, VNCViewer, Gftp, becomeroot, and Skype. Then, I also install the osso-status-cpu and simple launcher. (I have never gotten Autoscan to work on either unit).

I documented my steps on the A unit. So I flashed B, and tried a restore from a backup external from A, which failed at some point. So I flashed B again, and started my procedure again from a non-restore, total "re-install". Not only would the first app not load (Xournal), but next Skype will not install. Remember, I have a working unit with a documented install procedure. From a fresh flash, I cannot install Skype....
so I figure, something is stored in memory. Any help is appreciated. I may try to call Nokia (shrug).

Something in memory wouldn't make things not install. You've misdiagnosed your problem.

Provide a log file from Application Manager, and we can work to a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Just reflashed B again. Did the normal mandatory start up stuff, and immediately went to install Skype and it is "unable to install".

Log:

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2
----------
Installing Skype 1.7.62.51.1
Failed using a MMC to download packages. Using default.
E: Can't create directory at /media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/:Read only file system
E: Unable to lock the download directory

Thanks for your time.

Your internal flash card is corrupted. Stick in in a card reader or something and format it.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by HWL View Post
Just reflashed B again. Did the normal mandatory start up stuff, and immediately went to install Skype and it is "unable to install".

Log:

----------
Installing Skype 1.7.62.51.1
E: Can't create directory at /media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/:Read only file system
There's your problem. For some reason it can't create a file on the internal SD card. Not sure why a) your internal card is marked as a readonly system b) why the application manager is trying to write to the internal SD card.

Do you have a card in the internal SD slot? Is it formatted VFAT?

There is probably a config file that tells the application manager to use the internal SD slot, which can be changed. But for now, I would suggest putting a SD card into the internal SD slot.

Craig...

Thanks all..I will get on it.

FWIW, Tried to dl the Skype file from the Nokia site and got this log:
/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/var/tmp/skype-debian_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb'
Package must have "Section: user/FOO" to be considered compatible.
FAILED: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12)
FAILED: libqt4-core (>= 4.2.1)
FAILED: libqt4-gui (>= 4.2.1)
FAILED: libsigc++-2.0-0c2a (>= 2.0.2)
FAILED: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12)
-----
Installing skype 1.7.62.51.1
E: Can't create directory at /media/mmc2/.apt-archive-cache/: Read-only file system

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Not sure why a) your internal card is marked as a readonly system
Because that's what happens when it gets corrupted

b) why the application manager is trying to write to the internal SD card.
Because that's where it caches stuff during installation.

The answer to the first question is, of course, yes (otherwise it wouldn't throw an error ). The second question is irrelevant.

There is probably a config file that tells the application manager to use the internal SD slot, which can be changed. But for now, I would suggest putting a SD card into the internal SD slot.
The card's filesystem is corrupted (there are a number of ways this could have happened). It's time to backup anything on it that you need and reformat. You can reformat it either with the built-in filemanager (you'll have to disable virtual memory first, if you have it enabled, though), or by plugging the card into a card reader of some kind and reformatting it with a computer.

There's your problem. For some reason it can't create a file on the internal SD card. Not sure why a) your internal card is marked as a readonly system b) why the application manager is trying to write to the internal SD card.

Craig...

Where and how do you find/change the config file?