Originally Posted by Kalatti View Post
Second update:

I have tried many applications, it shows that this system had a great variety of applications of all kinds and users who requested them. The visual style of the applications is very different from other systems, it makes you go back to the past. There are quite a few applications that cause the phone to freeze, especially the sound applications. This may be due to a hardware failure, I don't know.

I like that there are even applications to 'hack': HaCkMe, Codez4Palm, HackMaster ...

I have also liked some games like Bang!, Bzzz, Dropairs or Zap!2016 (the latter reminds me of a similar Nokia/Symbian game).

I managed to connect the phone to the Internet using a cable connected to my PC and the Softick PPP program. However, I could not navigate with the PalmOS browser or Opera Mini (Java version). I could only use one application well: GoogleMaps (amazing!).

Third update:

Nostalgia sometimes makes us believe that things from before were better, but this is not always the case. I have been using this phone and this operating system for a few days, and the truth is that I thought it would be a magical experience, but it has not been. However, comparing PalmOS and current systems would not be fair. In 2006/2007 I remember entertaining myself with Nokia phones, like the Nokia N70 and the N95. I was a kid and everything, simple as it was, seemed wonderful on the phones. I think that PalmOS was a very advanced system in its time, I honestly believe that PalmOS was more complete than S60, the Symbian of that time. I didn't know that much about systems that year, but I think that Nokia's system was simpler and that it failed less (perhaps because it was less complete).

It is difficult for me to compare the systems of that time, what do you think? Which was the best system (in 2006/2007): PalmOS, Symbian or BlackBerryOS?
I would go with Symbian from that list. I always knew that PalmOS needed a ways to go to really be a contender, so I didn't waste any time going to WebOS as soon as it came out, but that was 2009, so wouldn't make your list. Never much of a Blackberry fan... If Windows Mobile was on your list, I would say that. I think at least WM6 was out by then. I still remember my HTC Apache and Touch Pro...

Last edited by levone1; 2021-04-14 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
I would go with Symbian from that list. I always knew that PalmOS needed a ways to go to really be a contender, so I didn't waste any time going to WebOS as soon as it came out, but that was 2009, so wouldn't make your list. Never much of a Blackberry fan... If Windows Mobile was on your list, I would say that. I think at least WM6 was out by then. I still remember my HTC Apache and Touch Pro...
I have added WM6, I had forgotten the main PalmOS competitor!

I have an HTC HD2 with WM6.5 and it worked quite well (I don't remember the phone freezing often). However, I think PalmOS had a bigger community and more apps, right? In fact, PalmOS still has a community (PalmDB) and WM does not.

PalmOS seems to be remembered more fondly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I don't believe I ever had a Symbian device . . . I used a couple Sony Ericsson phones with what I believe to be a proprietary OS. In 2006, I think it was a K510. You could run Java apps on them, but I only installed one ever (a streaming music player).

I stuck with Palm until my Handspring Visor Prism died of a broken port. I had to back up my data as quickly as possible before the battery died and took the volatile bits along with it. Fortunately, my second S-E, a K550 had an IRDA port and a removable memory stick, and my computer had a memory stick reader.

For a guy who needed a calendar, a contact list, check register and grocery list, the PalmOS was perfect. I doubt I'd installed more than 3 or 4 apps beside the built-in ones.

Handspring's custom version of the calendar app had the neat feature of being able to look up sunrise and sunset times on an arbitrary date. More useful than it sounds when planning events held outside or with older folks attending that don't drive after dark.

I never knew any Blackberrry users who didn't get the phone issued by an employer. It seems like an business executive thing. The keyboard was handy for texting in meetings when they got bored. And the security (or at least perceived security) was its big selling point.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
For a guy who needed a calendar, a contact list, check register and grocery list,
that plus a music player and a phone is all I'd want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
Nice to read here. I still have a TX fully functional. I have to charge it every 4-6 weeks. Since it is not the main device it does not need to be backed up for years. But it is always alive - wonderful hardware and software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post: