Active Topics

@Milhouse

For some reason i didn't even have the basic repo installed:
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/
Distribution: gregale
Components: free non-free

so once that was in e2fsprogs installed fine...thanks for the quick responses though..great thread topic

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Thanks for that - I've added the repository details to the first post in case it catches anyone else out.

Milhouse: I just want to join the chorus of appreciation for what you've done. I've been booting from my mmc for years now, both on the 770 and the N800. I shudder whenever a new firmware comes out, not only because of the hassle involved in flashing it to the main system, and reinstalling all my applications -- but then, even more so, of having to get it cloned onto the mmc. I've had to do it too many times already, and whereas Fanoush and his "comperes''" established instructions have proved sufficiently clear, it was not until I encountered yours that the whole matter became, if not an actual pleasure, at least an almost no-brainer. Congratulations for your initiative and your results (in efforts and accomplishments more than in just this one instance).

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[Edit: How do i know if i'm using the memory card or the flash memory?[/QUOTE]

How about a nobrainer checking:menu>control panel>memory>details>storage mem either in use or avail is >64 MB, you are booting from MMC, in general.

bun

Xterm was suddenly closed in the middle of phase nupgrade.sh 3 so can i just do the command again or do i have to do it in this specific order(o, 1, 2, 3, and 4)? There came message "internal error" and xterm was closed. Is this harmful for the system?

Okei, I solved that. I just proceed from phase 3 to 4 and all went well. I haven't noticed that system is faster but there's now more space to install applications. If I upgrade to Sardine will those installed applications be there also and will they work on Sardine? Does Sardine mean I have to install all once again? Now I'm thinking upgrading to Sardine, before this I didn't have enough courage to even think about upgrading.

Thank you Millhouse for these instructions! Great job.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Unfortunately the upgrade to Sardine has been failing for the last few weeks with dependency issues. You can try it, but I wouldn't expect it to work (although the issues will be fixed eventually) and your applications will remain intact (but they might not work due to API changes in the latest Sardine/Chinook OS). They're not kidding when they state that "Sardine is unstable and will often be badly broken and smelly".

Thanks Milhouse, I'll try it later when I'm more used to this cloning process. I've read about Sardine and I'm interested about it. Like you said, maybe it's better to leave it for those who knows what they are doing, I'm still quite newbie but learning all the time!

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
This doesn't work on my N770 The OS is 3.2006.49-2. I'm trying to clone onto a new 1GB Nokia card.

All the steps complete successfully. The problem is that the boot menu doesn't appear after reboot, and mount shows that the system is still booting from jffs2.

The MMC card then shows up as corrupted, but can be formatted after this and works fine.

When partitioning the card, I follow the instructions here:

http://examplified.net/guide/Nokia_7...ting_from_MMC/

Step 4. I split the card between VFAT and Linux.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Figured it out. I didn't realise that you had to manually install the dual-boot menu software. Done that and can now boot from mmc.

Last edited by rs-px; 2007-10-11 at 09:45.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
This doesn't work on my N770 The OS is 3.2006.49-2. I'm trying to clone onto a new 1GB Nokia card.

All the steps complete successfully. The problem is that the boot menu doesn't appear after reboot, and mount shows that the system is still booting from jffs2.

The MMC card then shows up as corrupted, but can be formatted after this and works fine.

When partitioning the card, I follow the instructions here:

http://examplified.net/guide/Nokia_7...ting_from_MMC/

Step 4. I split the card between VFAT and Linux.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Figured it out. I didn't realise that you had to manually install the dual-boot menu software. Done that and can now boot from mmc.
Glad to hear it works. What is your partition size on your 1G MMC?

bun