Hi,

here's an interesting one.

A friend of mine also has an n800. About a month ago he noticed that the internal sd card doesn't get mounted. After a bit of troubleshooting we saw that the magnet is missing. We searched a bit, looked inside as much as possible and decided that it must have fallen when he changed cards. So we replaced it with a small bit of flexible fridge magnet. A few days ago his tablet started showing small lines on the screen. Today the lines were pretty intense and also some doubled image apeared. (ghosting) tried to take a picture but couldn't.

After close inspection we saw that the original magnet was attached (magnetic) to the yellow capacitor in the picture (picture is from toughtfix hope it's ok)

We managed to remove it but the image is still wrong. Is it possible that the cap. got magnetized and so the image is wrong? Will it go away? Is this capacitor even linked to the lcd or is this just a coincidence? If yes is there a way to demagnetize it or we have to solder a new one in place? I remember that I could degauss old crt monitors by placing them very close to newer crt's that had the degauss function built in... Could it help?

Thank you
Attached Images

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I may be wrong but I think the two problems are unrelated. The screen on the n800 has a tendency to fail in the way you describe.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Hm, I was under the impression that the 770 used to fail a lot, I thought the n800 was pretty reliable. So if unrelated what would be the problem to address: the board or the lcd assembly?

OTOH can someone confirm or infirm that the capacitor has to do with the screen or not?

If not I'll start disassembling both tablets and identify the trouble - the screen or the motherboard.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Hm, I was under the impression that the 770 used to fail a lot, I thought the n800 was pretty reliable.
Well, I don't have enough statistical data to say the contrary, however I've seen a few cases with similar symptoms in this forum. One of them mine, btw

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
So if unrelated what would be the problem to address: the board or the lcd assembly?
The lcd.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 215 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Earth, 38.830000, -77.00000
I would think it would be caused by the connection between the lcd and board. My N810's ribbon cable LCD->Board has failed 3 times already and is hasn't even been a year since I bought it. (Maybe Nokia or whoever manufactures it should rate the ribbon cables for "Max amounts of keyboard slides" )

the n800 has no sliding keyboard though

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
You might find the schematics useful if you try to open it.

Check here if don't have them already.

Thoughtfix has also a video where he disassembles one n800.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:

Tags
capacitor, ghosting, lcd, magnet