Active Topics

I bought my N810 under the impression that I could copy files wirelessly to it from my unsecured XP laptop network. We're going on one year from the last complaint about lack of a fix for shared folders not appearing in Nokia's file Manager.

Is this being addressed? Its crazy that this is an issue that has no solution after all this time.

Swapping SD cards and/or USB cables are a waste of time these days. And I'm also tired of playing the command-line games. This device should just work.

I used to get the shared folder about 10% of the time and about 50% of the time after rebooting. Now I get nothing.

Getting fed-up. Ready to toss this thing. I have a 10 year old Pocket PC with CF wireless card that still connects 100% of the time. Why can't Nokia figure this out?

I forget how to do it, but I found a better solution anyway..(Windows file sharing has always been fickle, seems nobody has any idea how to do cross platform/OS file sharing easily.

Install openssh on the tablet through the application manager, then install WinSCP on Windows.

Then depending on the router you can either use the n800's hostname or the IP address (another odd issue which annoys me about routers). Should be the default port 22 unless you changed in.

So..

Address/Server: Tablet's hostname or IP
user: user (or root but I recommend user)
password: whatever password you set if you set one
port: 22 (default unless you change it)

And presto it should work.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

LM, forgive my frustration. I have 2 engineering degrees, have and still use computers extensively, but I'm coming to hate linux. I'll try and be patient, but have some questions.

1. WinSCP is for setting up a FTP server? Do I setup/run a session and if so, where in WinSCP do I set the access folders on my XP laptop? What is the session host name? Can you help me with some of the settings on WinSCP?

2. How do I get the hostname or IP for the N810?

3. Do I still use File Manager or do I need to use command line in xterm? (Please say it aint so)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
step by step guide here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ht=winscp+step

written specially for users with two engineering degrees :-)

bun

Ok, thanks bun. Had a few issues with openssh's installed password. I had to reset it and reboot for WinSPC to accept it.

OK.... I figured out how to start a session on my XP and sent files to my media/mmc1 sitting in front of my laptop. Now for the bigger issue....
I normally like to copy files from a shared XP folder to my Nokia sitting in the other room ion front of the Nokia.

Can I:
Keep a session or ftp server "at the ready" on the XP, awaiting connection access from the Nokia?
How do I copy files from my XP to the Nokia via the Nokia? Can I use the browser, File Manager?

Thanks

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Have you tried Wizard Mounter?
It doesn't install easily. See here.

Tried it, but "install and you're done" instructions are useless to people who need stepbystep help.
I never could figure how to setup WM to work with my XP laptop.

Ok, here we go.
a) Make sure you have the latest SSU.
b) Open your browser and navigate to http://gronmayer.com/it/index.php
c) In the Search box, enter "diablo/tools". That should return one repository.
d) Click on the big green arrow and follow instructions.
e) In the same search box, enter "diablo maemo extras". That should return one repository.
d) Click on the big green arrow and follow instructions.
You now have the pre-requisites.
e) Open Application Manager and click on Browse All.
(Don't have my n810 with me, so trying to remember exact wording.)
f) Install "rootsh"
g) When that's done, open a terminal.
h) Type "root" and press enter. You are now running as root.
i) Type this: "apt-get install kernel-diablo-modules-extra portmap"
j) When that's done, install Wizard-Mounter v1.2 from https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...o4.1_armel.deb

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: If that sounds like too much of a challenge, take a look at HFS. It installs a minimal web server on your PC, from which you can share any folder. From your n8x0, all you have to do is browse to your PC's IP address. I believe it allows upload and download. Haven't run it myself as yet.

Last edited by jpramlak; 2009-03-11 at 14:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
Thanks, jpra. I have had issues with loading WM in the past, but your method works great. My version is showing as 1.1 not 1.2, is this right?

Now. Another stepbystep request?
Help me with getting specific entries in WM to connect to my laptop's shared files.

Assuming:
Laptop is connected via ethernet to wireless router with SSID "routersirfelix".
Router is setup to provide laptop with dynamic IP, lets assume I know the laptop's IP.
A shared folder on my laptop's desktop with path "C:\Documents and Settings\laptopuser\Desktop\sharedfolder"
My router and laptop are both open security (no passwords).

Assuming I connect to "routersirfelix" via the N810 wifi first, what would be the specific WM settings for:
Click Add
Profile Name?
Server Address?
Remote Directory?
Username?
Password?
Click NFS or Samba?
Click Save

The reason I ask for specifics is because I've tried this before and I could never get the entries correct. Do I use slashes? Dots? http? Etc?

Thanks

Hmm. It should be 1.2. Perhaps my link was wrong. See https://garage.maemo.org/projects/wizard-mounter/.
Please uninstall 1.1 and download latest version - 1.2.

I assume both your laptop and n810 can connect to the Internet.
Your routers SSID does not apply here. It's only necessary to connect your computers to your router. Thereafter, your computers connect to each other via the router. ie. ignore the router from here on out.
First, ensure that you have enabled "File and Print Sharing" on your laptop.
In Explorer, right-click on a folder you want to share. Click on Sharing and Security...
Under Sharing tab, click Share this folder. Give it a Share name, preferably one with no spaces. Click on Permissions and ensure Everyone has access.

On your n810, start Wizard Mounter.
Click Add
Profile Name? LaptopShare
Server Address? IP Address of laptop
Remote Directory? Share name above
Username? blank
Password? blank
Click NFS or Samba? Samba (NFS is for Linux servers)
Click Save

You should see something like this screenshot.
Click on LaptopShare then Quick Mount.
In File Manager, look at internal disk in directory Remote.
Success!