Just noticed the same problem, and updated the fixed version of metalayer-crawler from the bug report above, metalayer-crawler is once again updating my library and hogging my resources as it is supposed to

I downloaded metalayer-crawler bug fix from:
https://bugzilla.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3970
and, as usual, let the Application manager install it. I immediately got the error message "Unable to update metalayer-crawler0. Incompatible application package". Scrolling down the web page I found this release note from the author:

To install it you need to remove the osso-software-version-* SSU update lock meta package because it depends on the w43 version of crawler i.e. you need to do the install as root from command line and force the installation of the newer version (I don't think you can do that from the Application manager). To enable SSU again, you need to re-install the lock meta package that gets removed (along with the version of crawler it pulls in).

Can anybody translate this to steps that an appliance user would understand? My basic questions are:

1. How do I remove osso-software-version-*?
I don't see that in Application Manager's list of installed programs.

2. I know how to get a command line, but how do I "install as root"?
That is, how do I become "root"? What command do I enter to install the .deb file I downloaded?

3. What is "SSU"?

4. How would I locate and re-install the "lock meta package"?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Estes