Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Another reason is simpler : many Android users buy new smartphones each year, because their smartphones use Android, i.e., become slow, full of WhatsApp files, not working at all, etc.

So no need to have new battery if the life cycle of the smartphone is just about 1 year.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The Jolla C and Aquafish, which are reasonably recent devices, still allow that though. But the real trouble is to find replacement batteries, and Jolla is arguably a bit underground anyway so the question is different with them. I believe Fairphone 2 allows that too, but it's the same, it's a niche product which made a point (a selling point) in being easily serviceable, which is possible only because the vast majority of other manufacturers do not make that choice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Another reason is simpler : many Android users buy new smartphones each year, because their smartphones use Android, i.e., become slow, full of WhatsApp files, not working at all, etc.

So no need to have new battery if the life cycle of the smartphone is just about 1 year.
And that's very good for the environment.... not....

Ohh I forgot climate threat is just hoax...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Is that what slows down an Android device? Whatsit? That would explain it. My daughter's 2.5 years old tablet works just as fine as it did on day 1. My other daughter's even older tablet, that I inherited when we upgraded hers so she could play Pokemon Go, is now about 6 years old and shows no signs of slowing down.

None of those devices have ever been reset to factory defaults. On the other hand, none of them have ever had Whatsit installed on them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
And that's very good for the environment.... not....

Ohh I forgot climate threat is just hoax...
I try to explain that it is better to buy good smartphones to last 3-4 years, with batteries that can be replaced. But the majority of people just follow the trend.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
None of those devices have ever been reset to factory defaults. On the other hand, none of them have ever had Whatsit installed on them.
I've seen many Android smartphones with 4-8GB of flash memory totally full due to WhatsApp taking half of flash memory. It seems WhatsApp on Android doesn't have any upper limit of flash memory to use... or if it has, nobody I know has set it up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, whatsup is used for transfering a lot of media files. Delete them. Or some of them from time to time and that's it. Internal storage has nothing to do with how slow the device is. It's mostly because of android itself and OEM bloatware plus users (cr)apps that are just piling up with 86358962587 background services running 24/7. My Z2 tablet is close to one year without restart and still run as fast as after restart. With official MM FW, just rooted. uneducated users are the problem, not that much android as such.

EDIT: to be precise, 303 days without restart.

Last edited by kinggo; 2017-09-04 at 05:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Is that what slows down an Android device? Whatsit?
And apps like Facebook, which is also a real hog. Notice that both of these apps are made by the same company!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, whatsup is used for transfering a lot of media files. Delete them. Or some of them from time to time and that's it. Internal storage has nothing to do with how slow the device is. It's mostly because of android itself and OEM bloatware plus users (cr)apps that are just piling up with 86358962587 background services running 24/7. My Z2 tablet is close to one year without restart and still run as fast as after restart. With official MM FW, just rooted. uneducated users are the problem, not that much android as such.
If no available flash memory is available, a lot of softwares and services can't write/update configuration files, cache files, etc, so they will show a lot of erros, don't open at all, etc.

Yeah, uneducated users are the problem... because they agree to use Android

PS: I don't use WhatsApp. Android just to test some softwares.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
And apps like Facebook, which is also a real hog. Notice that both of these apps are made by the same company!
There seems to be no quality control at Facebook. "Does it work? Yes? Ship it. Test later."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: