Just received my XA2 today, impressed by the quality regarding the X.
Now waiting for the official SFOS port... Coming soon...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
Just received my XA2 today, impressed by the quality regarding the X.
Now waiting for the official SFOS port... Coming soon...
thx for the small comparison, more incentive to get one!
Any reason why you (and others) already hump on the XA2?
I mean, the official port is announced for Q3 and the prices might drop quite a bit until then?
Is there a community port available already?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
My apologies for getting back to the topic

The two Xperia X currently for sale here made me look into it again. I never liked the X because it seemed so HUGE but I suppose I could live with it, especially at eBay prices which are MUCH cheaper than those asked here on TMO.

But I have not been following the development very closely and find browsing through 254 pages of posts, mostly off-topic or contradicting each other, rather confusing.

So...

Could anyone be so kind as to summarize, BRIEFLY, in a few bullet points, any pros and cons of going X? What works? What does not? Is it worth it at all?
Especially with the recent update, mostly everything works. I haven't had any stupid our outstanding issues that make me unable to use it as my daily driver (and really, my only phone outside a novelty one I built using a raspberry pi zero). The built in VPN implementation is finicky, but that's really about all. GPS works, locks nearly instantly, they ironed out the timestamping problems in the SMS client, I don't get any lockscreen hangs anymore, the fingerprint sensor works great, bluetooth audio to my Mass Fidelity relay works flawlessly, the wifi is stable and strong, battery life is EXCELLENT (I frequently get 4 days to a week between charges, using it as a normal phone... texts, calls, few emails, looking up things on the go, a little GPS). The camera and gallery have improved dramatically, and it really looks like they're paying attention to user feedback.

A couple tweaks like modifying /etc/profile.d/developer-profile.sh to get rid of env value errors, resizing the rootfs for more space and finding an sd card that played well with it. But really, no problem. I love it, and any complaint would be nitpicking.

That said, I don't really use the Android stuff. In fact, I haven't installed it since I reflashed a few months ago. I don't miss it, either.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
- kernel is built without modules support so you need to use the community kernel
I hadn't even thought of that. Are there any custom kernels for it yet, like the incredible work by @mautz for the Nexus 5? Man, what I'd do for undervolting on my X...

How does one go about flashing the community kernel? Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
thx for the small comparison, more incentive to get one!
Any reason why you (and others) already hump on the XA2?
I mean, the official port is announced for Q3 and the prices might drop quite a bit until then?
Is there a community port available already?
I actually broke my X, and while looking for an X refurbished, I saw that the price was nearly the same between X and XA2.
But the XA2 got really better specs than the X, and now I can confirm it.
I know I'm stuck on android for few months top, but for 200€ a brand new XA2, there is no debate where you can't hardly find a used X below150€ ...

The finition is a lot better than the X, the screen is bigger and don't have edges

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hang on, are we talking about the same XA2? The one that is wider and thicker than X and costs about twice as much on eBay?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
You should probably live in France

https://m.shop.sosh.fr/mobile/sony-xperia-xa2-noir

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Reading this comparison I do not really ee the XA2 as enhancement
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...nes/10772,9986
https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=7948

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Because it's not. It's a low-mid range phone, whereas X was almost top of the line.
Specs are almost the same. So I don't understand what clovis86 is so excited about.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Jan 2018 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
I actually broke my X, and while looking for an X refurbished, I saw that the price was nearly the same between X and XA2.
But the XA2 got really better specs than the X, and now I can confirm it.
I know I'm stuck on android for few months top, but for 200€ a brand new XA2, there is no debate where you can't hardly find a used X below150€ ...

The finition is a lot better than the X, the screen is bigger and don't have edges
My USED X is for SALE ! thnx

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aQUICK1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x