Active Topics

Thanks for making it possible for us SFOS supporters that happen to be stateside. I can't send PMs, even though I've had this account for almost 8 years..., is this offer still available?

Originally Posted by Wolda View Post
Hey all!

I am currently living in Canada (and also have US paypal and bank accounts), however, my permanent residency is in the Czech Republic (EU). I am happy to assist anyone from US/Canada who would like to buy Sailfish X. Feel free to PM me for details.

PS: It could be that there are some 'hidden' legislation-related reasons why Jolla doesn't want to sell an OS in the region. Maybe, in order to be officially allowed to do so, you need to be co-operative with some of the three-letter organizations... I do not have any information and evidence for this so don't quote me here, I'm simply trying to come up with a plausible story that sort of makes sense. Also, we should keep in mind that Sailfish X is supposed to be (at least for now) a community project. And I bet Jolla does know us - their community - and they are definitely aware there will be many Europeans who will offer assistance to many from the US (hidden pun^TM). But do you really expect them to officially write sthing like "If we wanna sell a phone OS in the US, we need to have a backdoor for organization XYZ. So we won't do that, and you guys from the US just email your mates in EU and do what needs to be done" ? I doubt. So let's wait what will be the exact conditions, but I would be surprised if they will pro-actively fight against this gray-area of software smuggling (who would believe that there is gonna be such a thing as smuggling software). Also, we should not expect them to publicly write "guys, guys, calm down, the system is designed to be hacked"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meatbiscuit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Robissimo View Post
The supply of the F5121 in the US seems to being drying up and the prices are creeping up. Have Sony discontinued to manufacture this model?

I was waiting to hear about North American availability of the official release before purchasing but it seems if I wait too much longer, I will have to buy a used phone or pay an exorbitant price for a new one.

My primary reason for posting is to ask if anyone knows if the delay for release to the u.s. and canada is a technical or legal issue?

B&H Photo still has some for 230usd.
Go with B&H. That's where I got mine in the US, and it took only a few days to get here. A few eBay sellers might have it for slightly cheaper, but I can vouch for the fact that they were exceptionally fast and the device was brand new and sealed... unlike many on eBay.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Serously for how long do you think that will be possible? Fact stand Sony has pissing in the boat and Xperia series is not an open platform.

When I used FP2 fastboot WAS the official flashing tool same goes for other open android phones such as nexus I guess. I don't want to use some crippled binary from random company that ponly work for broken OS'es like windows.

Sony are just same garbage as samsung/iphone and now trying locking in the user. Xperia is over for me I will not spend a second try install SFOS on the phone. I will probably sell the phone later (unrooted).

So sick and tired of locked in shitness. If I did know above a month ago I would not sell my FP2. Instead keept it and wait for:

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Indeed I just contributed for that phone. If people want true open phone they should also support librem 5.

Sony plain dead for me.

Over and out.
Use recovery and Linux to flash it. I did so to downgrade to MM and there was no problem. It is very childish to get cranky over something without even knowing the facts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post

the quoted:

clearly is wrong as there are no news regarding flashing methods but i pardon james. It is not a lie but an error based on him assuming the new development he was informed about was on top of the sony developr page. so he assumed it was news.

And why i forgive him? Its people asking überfluous questions that force him into such unnecessary timewasting answers. Not me.

You would definitely be right if he haven't gave this link on chat for that RECENT NEWS he has mentioned. That link points to description of Sony Flash Tool (EMMA), and it hasn't been changed for years. Other people asked him on the comments about it, i asked him in chat about it, that it is not a recent news or a news at all.

I am wondering, don't you think we should have higher expectations from a Public Relations person? If this was any other company and their PR claimed that there is a news about the topic being talked, then link to something unrelated, would your idea of that PR department be same?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atbeyi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atbeyi View Post
You would definitely be right if he haven't gave this link on chat for that RECENT NEWS he has mentioned. That link points to description of Sony Flash Tool (EMMA), and it hasn't been changed for years. Other people asked him on the comments about it, i asked him in chat about it, that it is not a recent news or a news at all.
So, James was wrong in this bit. Do you never make any mistakes? How long do you want to drag this example on to show that "Jolla is lying to us about everything" (or what do you want to prove here)?

I am wondering, don't you think we should have higher expectations from a Public Relations person? If this was any other company and their PR claimed that there is a news about the topic being talked, then link to something unrelated, would your idea of that PR department be same?
"Any other company" probably have a bigger PR department where publications are reviewed by multiple people and adjusted until they are soulless and as uninformative as possible. Is that what you are looking for?
I don't think Jolla has the funds for a big PR department, so it's probably James alone who has to handle all that stuff. Seeing the reactions and language in the blog comments and forums, I'm frankly glad I don't have to do his work.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jenix For This Useful Post:
Don't put words on my mouth, i haven't said "Jolla is lying to us about everything.".

I am saying Jolla needs a better Public Relations practice. That "wrong" or "mistake" is just an example of the PR problem of Jolla,

"Any other company" probably have a bigger PR department where publications are reviewed by multiple people and adjusted until they are soulless and as uninformative as possible. Is that what you are looking for?
Do you think claiming there is a recent news about this new development, is informative? just a claim for a non-existent news is also soulless and uninformative, soulless because it is factually incorrect and uninformative because there is no information about it. Do you really think this is a good PR practice?

and again, all i am saying is Jolla needs a better public relations management. you can be happy about how the current state is, i am not, and i am showing why i am not.

And i understand that this can be seen as a lie told by a PR person, but i am not saying that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atbeyi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Don't put words on my mouth, i haven't said "Jolla is lying to us about everything.".

I am saying Jolla needs a better Public Relations practice. That "wrong" or "mistake" is just an example of the PR problem of Jolla,

Do you think claiming there is a recent news about this new development, is informative? just a claim for a non-existent news is also soulless and uninformative, soulless because it is factually incorrect and uninformative because there is no information about it. Do you really think this is a good PR practice?

and again, all i am saying is Jolla needs a better public relations management. you can be happy about how the current state is, i am not, and i am showing why i am not.

And i understand that this can be seen as a lie told by a PR person, but i am not saying that.
The only consequence of us complaining and asking for better PR will be less communications from James. Because he will be careful not to say something borderline. Do not expect more resources from Jolla on PR!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
also my lie reference could be interpreted to have been layd into your mouth. sorry, not my intention only ment as a climax to proof the point that they are not. It is a symptom of too few manpower again and again, not of the wrong person as suggested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
uhm, today is the sales start day, right?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
uhm, today is the sales start day, right?
It is indeed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x