Does Microsoft have the right to use N9 Swipe on their Lumia?

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Just for what Microsoft did to Nokia, I could never use one of their phones again.
I think it was Nokia that did that to themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Who's gonna sue them anyway?

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I wonder how Lumiaman is taking this news?
He's going to reappear as Surfaceman to tell us it's what the masses want.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Who's gonna sue them anyway?
No need to sue, MS has licensed that from Nokia for a number of years to come.
All paid up and delivered already

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Back to the topic, Microsoft will keep on making windows phone even there is only 0.00001% market share until there is buyers. All they have is money.

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Yes. Microsoft bought all rights to UIs, Music, Ringtones, and other "creative" output of Nokia Mobile (apart from Nokia logo and fonts, which I believe were licensed from Nokia Oy).

I have my N9. Although only some people on this board would agree with me, the N9 is the best thing Nokia has ever made.

I did get a Lumia 520 because my N9 was dying and I needed an emergency phone, and the L520 was a lot cheaper and better at that price than any Android. But still, it was so limited compared to the N9 that I had to laugh. W10Mobile made it less limited, but now it can only keep one app in memory at a time...

Thanks to this community, I fixed my N9 and it's still my primary phone. I hope it keeps, it's been working for 5 years and I hope I can get about two years more out of it.

I couldn't care less about Nokia now. My N9 still lives because of TMO.

One could say that this community is the best thing Nokia ever made, but it was all the people that post here that made the community. I'd like to see it survive Windows Phone/Mobile.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tigas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Me too. Me too!
Same here. Still using an N9 as my only phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Hmm, I never thought I'd ever want to have a Windows phone again, but the new Vaio Phone Biz looks very tempting (I really like high-end VAIO laptops)!
  • Elegant metal housing ("Azumino finish", don't know if that means Made in Japan, probably not)
  • Windows 10 Mobile
  • Dual SIM or Single SIM + memory card (microSIM + nanoSIM/microSDXC)
  • 5.5" Full HD LCD screen
  • Snapdragon 617
  • 3GB RAM
  • 16GB storage + microSDXC
  • Around $425 unlocked

Here's a Japanese preview on ASCII.jp.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Despite the drama in the title, I don't feel that Microsoft is loosing.

Nokia deliberately handing it to MS like some people tend to put it higher up in this thread is not entirely true given the size of Nokia's organization.

I am certain that, apart from Elop who must have had briefing from MS, only a limited part of the decision making staff that handed over Nokia plate were aware of the potential of promising side projects such as Maemo.

Microsoft really did not misunderstand the arrogant quote: N900 is step 4 out of 5.

Windows Phone has not known great succes yet. But likewise there has been no great success for the Linux phone.

In 2010-11, the worst nightmare for MS would have been a high end Maemo device that got the critics raving about the mobile devices development status quo finally disrupted, innovative etc..

Why? A considerable crowd that finds itself confronted and accustomed with a Linux prompt on their telephone is not something MS is wishing for.

Linux should be hidden, unknown and embedded or else it could spread further as a desktop OS alternative and eventually become a threat to Windows coming emerging from the immensely popular mobile phones market.

MS and their buddy intel did a great job to prevent this to happen. The rest is side effect. Windows 10 is going to get at you.

It is now much better positioned to take over your device from the desktop side.

Do we really think that Windows Phone could not license Myriad for providing their Windows Phone OS with an Android compatibility layer?
Or purchase Myriad if they wanted a quick success for their Windows 8.1?

See what they did with Pureview (no more development since 2011-12)
What use did they make of the production capabilities at Nokia (only make candybar phones)

For them this Windows Phone thing has just been a side project / placeholder.

In any case you won't be needing and Windows Phone to experience Mobile Microsoft goodness.

Windows 10 phone will have some "new" features such as possibility to connect mouse, keyboard, display (I vaguely recall a certain brand offered this before but nobody cared)

But you won't be missing out on your Windows experience if you are Android fan, you will use a Microsoft app on your Android and put all your data in the MS cloud.

And you will be using Windows 10 on your desktop or touch screen hybrid notebook to take full advantage of the integrated blah blah..

Anyway Windows Phone platform is just a name..
Windows 10 etc will not let go of your mobile experience and is not dead at all.
Remember they have Skype too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: