Active Topics

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
My big stop in using Windows Mobile is that is too much closed for my taste
Closed system is ok with me I admit windows phone does no have as beautiful ui as sailfish. Having a DSLR-like phone camera is so much fun. I can say no to carrying dedicated camera while holidaying, and it will not make me look like a tourist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
i dont use camera so frequently, so i dont care too much about it. I must admit that the one of jolla is very crappy. i would like to have a camera just like lumia 735, wich i have got. it is enough for me.

Instead i personally consider opennes of os more important than camera. a curiosity (without any sense of polemics), if you are so ok with closed os, why did you come here? i mean, others OS (like IOS, android, WP) are much more mature than sailfish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
My sister-in-law used a Lumia 1020 for a while but finally gave up for lack of "apps". I assume she meant retailer-specific coupon generators and other quick-n-dirty website viewers that everybody wants to cram on your phone. Me, I saw that as its best feature. Well, maybe second best after the camera. Since then, she's gone through two Android handsets both of which had too little storage for all the wonderful things she had to install.

Now the only two people I know with Windows phones are a couple where one spouse actually working for Microsoft.

I can see why a 2% share would be a disappointment for them, especially if you compare it to their share of the desktop/laptop market.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
So weird to see Windows in the position of no apps, I remember long ago nontechnical people would say Linux has no apps and wne was made to help them. Now people go to Android as Windows has no apps.

In my opinion no phone is DSL-R like by any stretch. Phone cameras do vary widely in quality though. I like phone cameras as it is a camera one always has with them a DSL-R can be a big distracting thing to lug around all the time. A phone can be a good enough point an shoot camera. The Jolla camera is horrible IMHO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Dead with 2% market share? Where does thay put Jolla, then?
Glad you asked little Billy!

Why...
With this famous guy about 8ft down from 2%...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Technically, if it's dead but doesn't know/accept, then it's a revenant. Best not to mess with those. You cannot kill that which is already dead. Sailfish fhtagn!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Pining for the fjords. And besides, the Finnish Keira Black prefers keeping on its back.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dead or not, lately Microsoft is doing something that has my attention and is in place at my office per my request - Continuum. I've removed 4 of my PM laptops and replaced them with 4 Microsoft 950XL's and the Continuum dock and oddly enough, their productivity has increased.

I personally thought it was a gimmick. But it hit a few use cases for people in my organization that I cannot quickly replicate with less than savvy users in other platforms without some training.

Windows Phone was never going to have a massive market share. Their app gap deficiency is only second to perhaps Jolla. Folks want certain apps for their social media that are more convenient than say using the mobile versions via a browser.

With that said... are they dead? Perhaps. But if they were to only get/keep 2% of the market, that's sizable enough for some companies out there. Just sad that the company happens to be Microsoft, which inherited these devices via Nokia with a mobile OS that was thrust upon them by Elop.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I wonder how Lumiaman is taking this news?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I think I just heard a mosquito......
Was that you, Jolla?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post: