Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
so assuming you are one of the lucky/unliky ones that receive one of the 540 tablets, does it also mean no support, sw updates?

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
It all depends how the licensing goes. If Sailfish diversifies to many different devices, the tablet will get swept along. Otherwise, there won't be a Sailfish anymore so it won't matter.

What a shame. Personally I find the design of Jolla tablet is sexy. Hope their hardware partner uses the same or improved design

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
How is this information any different than what was said in the Blog from 18th of December and Blog from 31st of December and Antti Saarnio's comments in the community meeting in December?

Wasn't it very clear from those posts that if Jolla survives, then they will either ship or refund the tablets?
Originally Posted by Juhani Lassila
In other words, all of our backers will not get a Jolla Tablet. However, you can be sure you will not end up empty handed. We might even have some positive surprises in stock for you. But more on that will follow, feel free to speculate!
I would not describe the above as 'clear'.

My website

GitHub

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
What a shame. Personally I find the design of Jolla tablet is sexy. Hope their hardware partner uses the same or improved design
It's an ODM design, nothing really custom other than the screen and microUSB instead of miniUSB. Perhaps more on the internals but externally, the AIGO x86 tablet was identical all but in color.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
For those of us who still want a tablet, should we organise a group buy of some android tablet and port sailfish to it?

the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 or another cheap Android Intel Tablet come to mind as a slightly more up to date but basically JTablike in spec.
I don't think there's any need to try to mimic the Jolla Tablet; Jolla appeared to be aiming for showing off the beauty of Sailfish, and therefore went for a device with a maximized (retina) screen and minimal specs everywhere else. The Intel processor was probably chosen to get a subsidy from Intel itself.

I see no reason to avoid ARM processors, as the Hybris Adaptations list has plenty of those listed, including several tablets...

EDIT: ARM, not AMD

Last edited by Copernicus; 2016-01-28 at 15:10.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
so assuming you are one of the lucky/unliky ones that receive one of the 540 tablets, does it also mean no support, sw updates?
So far, Jolla has been very good about maintaining Sailfish across all the devices running it (few as those may be). So software updates may continue (assuming Jolla itself remains standing). But yeah, I don't see how they could manage any decent hardware support for such a tiny user base...

How do we know if we are getting the tablet or refund?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I don't think there's any need to try to mimic the Jolla Tablet; Jolla appeared to be aiming for showing off the beauty of Sailfish, and therefore went for a device with a maximized (retina) screen and minimal specs everywhere else. The Intel processor was probably chosen to get a subsidy from Intel itself.

I see no reason to avoid AMD processors, as the Hybris Adaptations list has plenty of those listed, including several tablets...
I assume you mean ARM not AMD...

No there isn't, I just thought that since we had already put money down for a Retina 8" Intel x86 tablet, that we might be more likely to find something we can agree on following that basic recipe.

I kinda liked the idea of the tablet being x86 personally, as there is a potential to run the mainline linux kernel on the device along with the mesa graphics drivers.

Also, ARM processors being what they are, you still have to start from scratch when porting to a new device, even if it shares the same SOC as an already ported device.

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2016-01-28 at 15:09.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So far, Jolla has been very good about maintaining Sailfish across all the devices running it (few as those may be). So software updates may continue (assuming Jolla itself remains standing). But yeah, I don't see how they could manage any decent hardware support for such a tiny user base...
Huh? Jolla seems to keep an unofficial distance from the ports on https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Most of those are by third parties with unofficial input from some Jolla and ex-Jolla employees. Or is there some official supported device list I'm missing?

It'd be extremely nice to see more of those boxes in the table turn green with official support of common off-the-shelf hardware, otherwise the install base for Sailfish is a diminishing number of Jolla phone owners with 2+ year old hardware and 661 Jolla tablet owners.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund