Notices

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I searched on "VCR PVR DVR Video Tuner" and didn't find anything at all, so now I'm posting.

I want to use one of my N800's as a replacement for a VCR. I have a Tivo, and rather than dumping my programs to tape, or even a DVD recorder, I want to put a TV tuner of some sort on my N800 and record straight to MPEG.

Ideally, I could run a web server on the N800 for controlling the recording/tuning behaviors on the N800, or a VNC server on the N800, as well, so that I could remote control it (from my N810 even) when I want to initiate such a recording. It would also be nice to be able to use something like NFS or Samba to move the programs over to my Mac or Ubuntu systems.

Anyone have ideas for the Tivo->N800 hardware, or the remote controlling of the N800 for this purpose?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I think you may over-estimate the processing power of your N800. Encoding requires way more horsepower than reading ...

Some USB TV-tuners/PVRs/DVRs will do the encoding for you.

I'm really just looking for what such devices someone might have gotten working on their N800, if any. Or if it's known that you can't do it at all.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It would also be nice to be able to use something like NFS or Samba to move the programs over to my Mac or Ubuntu systems.
The TiVo Desktop software transfers recordings over a network to a Windows PC. Galleon should be able to do the same on other platforms.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Ideally, I could run a web server on the N800 for controlling the recording/tuning behaviors on the N800, or a VNC server on the N800, as well, so that I could remote control it (from my N810 even) when I want to initiate such a recording.
The TiVo should be controllable via TiVo's website.

Originally Posted by ace View Post
The TiVo should be controllable via TiVo's website.
Controlling the Tivo isn't the problem :-)

The problem is not having to walk over to the entertainment center and tell the N800 "start recording now". I can already control the Tivo from my couch, and that's good enough. I want to also be able to control the N800 from my couch (when it's probably hidden behind the Tivo).

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Even if you get a USB tuner driver compiled for Maemo, and then use a hub and stuff to plug it in, and compile recording software, its going to be really bad quality. You are better of buying (or building) a MythTV or similar box.

Originally Posted by ace View Post
The TiVo Desktop software transfers recordings over a network to a Windows PC. Galleon should be able to do the same on other platforms.
Galleon looks interesting... except my Tivo doesn't appear to be compatible. While it's a Series 2 Tivo, it's a DirecTV series 2 Tivo. It only has firmware version 6.x on it, and Galleon seems to require version 7.2.1 and doesn't mention the DirecTV variants of the Tivos at all. Plus, if I'm reading it right, it wants to have a networked Tivo. Mine is not.

Well, after reading things here, I went and looked at other solutions. Sounds like I can get a Sandisk V-Mate for this (mostly, I'll have to transfer the files via sneaker-net), for as little as $36.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
I'll post this here cuz its a new thread and this is the only thread where Galleon comes up. I have a Tivo and am wondering if anyone has, or knows if Galleon will work on the N800?