Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hei,

Canola is really out today =) you can check out in the new website :
http://openbossa.indt.org/canola

Thanks!!

Marcelo

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I'm at my day job, working hard...
Okay I confess: I have my N800 on my EV-Do connection and am installing the latest

Two things - website homepage doesnt show text on my 800 though does on laptop

other is all attemts at installing lead to error with libgcrypt11 missing - where do i get that?

Been using the beta for a little while now on my n800. Canola seems really great. Only feature I'm really missing is podcast downloading (currently you can only stream), which the text on their new homepage implies will be in a future release. Keep up the great work, Canola devs!

Hey guys quick question if you dont mind me asking. What the point of Canola are the only benifits to it is a fancy interface?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by hemplacrosse4 View Post
Hey guys quick question if you dont mind me asking. What the point of Canola are the only benifits to it is a fancy interface?
IMHO , when using a device like the n770 of the n800 a non-squint, non-stylus interface is a huge benefit. If this were a spreadsheet, the interface would be crap, but, this does exactly what it should do. It offers your media in a clear easy to use manner.

The only thing missing is the ability to minimize it (at least while playing music).

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
I'm at my day job, working hard...
Okay I confess: I have my N800 on my EV-Do connection and am installing the latest
That make the FBI job a lot easier when they got a hold of you for interrogation

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Hempla, I can for sure answer you since canola concept was created by me, so I can tell you exactly what I told everyone.

Maemo devices, are great because they are open, and that gives you the power to transform them in something else. We used them daily and it just didn't feel right for Media consumption. Sometime you're on the bus, walking.. there's no room for stylus based usage. Why? because you need precision for that. And finger usage on GTK / hildon is getting better, but still clumsy.
Also to simple media consumption there's no need for a FULL Featured Windows / real desktop metaphor. You want fast access to your media and you really want to consume media, not browser on the internet on that UI.

This is the UI concept, and was very well received by the Users. But of course we did a lot of things under the hood!
1) it's a really stable software. We wanted to provide not a fancy but also Solid application
2) it's incredible flexible. We can plug new backends, create new features pretty fast now
3) We try not only to use but also contribute to the platform, and also to other projects (helping them, sending bug reportings, and even patching some UPnP servers.
4) We improved a lot the Shared media experience, so you can for example slideshow pictures from one upnp server while listening to music from other.
5) We ported libdmap to maemo, and released it for all other devices, so now you are able to see Iphoto sharing, rhythmbox sharings, Tangerine sharings and also Itunes(not 7 now).

In the end, I think it's like frontrow for the OSX or a simplified version of media center for windows. You just don't need your full desktop.. just want the media, easy and simple.

Geatgazoo :

You mean using it while minimized right? because you can press the home button and use maemo while canola stills on the "background". it's there minimized but you can't use it because there's was no way to create a interface with the same usage concept if it was in the application space (touch spots would be in the middle of the interface, smaller, clumsy).

BR

Marcelo

nice job, I've posted a article on the release:

http://www.mobilelinuxinfo.com/157/c...he-nokia-n800/

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
As this is the first time ever I've tried Canola, my questions might be really really stupid. Nevertheless:

I find myself storing more and more photos on NaB00 (my N800) and Canola's interface is indeed both very powerful and extremely intuitive, but the possibilities with the picture viewer seem to me rather limited: I can get either a small, static non-fullscreen picture, or a slideshow fullscreen that I cannot stop or change. Also, there seems to be no possibility to change the orientation of the pictures, nor any zoom facility for that matter. Did I overlook those or are they absent?

My suggestions (at least for the picture viewer):
- make it possible to go manually through the pictures in fullscreen and give more user control for the slideshow parameters
- incorporate zooming facility
- being able to switch from landscape to portrait would be very nice.

Overall, a very nice program. I absolutely love the wood theme (I wish someone would make a general steampunk theme for the Internet Tablets. Maybe I'll give it a shot myself...)