Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
if i break something (lost some .po or mo files) do i have to flash n900 or just restoring the device can bring it back?(from backup)
If you know which package the file belongs, you can just "apt-get install --reinstall <packagename>" the package, and it should restore the translation files (I think). It won't hurt to use the following command to create a backup of the files, though:
Code:
tar czvf /home/user/MyDocs/locale-backup.tar.gz /usr/share/locale
Of course, if you accidentally break something else, you might have to reflash, so backing up everything is always a good idea! If .mo files are missing, your applications will still work, they will just have very weird texts in them.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I've created a small package for the scripts - you can get the package here: stringmodding-scripts_0.0.2_all.deb

stringmodding-search and stringmodding-replace is what you want to use. Call them without parameters to see the usage information. The package "stringmodding-scripts" has been uploaded to Extras-Devel.

You still need to copy the output file (saved in the current directory) into /usr/share/locale - for this you need root rights.

Last edited by thp; 2011-02-07 at 14:06.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
I've created a small package for the scripts - you can get the package here: stringmodding-scripts_0.0.2_all.deb

stringmodding-search and stringmodding-replace is what you want to use. Call them without parameters to see the usage information. The package "stringmodding-scripts" has been uploaded to Extras-Devel.

You still need to copy the output file (saved in the current directory) into /usr/share/locale - for this you need root rights.
i am a noob how ever i have chenged my sound file... thanks....

but looks like it is hard to change text for a person like me,there should be some app for this...and ya....

i could not install "stringmodding-scripts" (if it is opreted from xterminal i think it will be be almost imposible for me to use it)
Attached Images

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by hathoda View Post

i could not install "stringmodding-scripts" (if it is opreted from xterminal i think it will be be almost imposible for me to use it)
Try to copy the file from your computer to the root of the N900.
Then open the terminal and type this:

Code:
sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs
dpkg --force-depends-i stringmodding-scripts_0.0.2_all.deb
I hope it will help!!!

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
is anyone interested in making app for this feature???

you can use filebox and just browse to the directory and use edit the file yourselves. either mc (midnight commander) or leafpad and do what thp said (dont forget to backup original files first)

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Does anyone have a pack of icons for application menu? (the 6 dots/2dots/squares)

I used to have bunnie rabbits (tux in rabbit costume).
I've seen cool one, but would like an entire pack!

You can do this already. You have to do a custom "translation" of the UIs in question. If you want to do it the quick'n'dirty way, grab the .mo files for the app you want to edit from
Code:
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES
(where en_US is replaced with the locale you have set up - for me, it's English (United States), it might be different for you). As an example, use the hildon-fm.mo file (the file manager texts). Now, copy that file from the device to your computer, and use
Code:
msgunfmt hildon-fm.mo > hildon-fm.po
to convert it to a plaintext gettext file. You can then open and edit this using e.g. poedit. After you are done editing, save it, and use
Code:
msgfmt hildon-fm.po -o hildon-fm.mo
to compile the message catalog again. Now, copy the updated catalog to your device in the same folder as the old file (/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES) and make sure the permissions are correct.

You might need root permissions for replacing the files on the device. Be careful!

Sounds are replaced by simply replacing the sound files in
Code:
/usr/share/sounds
or
Code:
/usr/share/sounds/maemo/stereo
Have fun, but if you break something, you got to keep the pieces

Update: It seems like the "gettext" package is even available in Extras. With an "apt-get install gettext", you can have msgfmt and msgunfmt directly on your N900, and do everything from the X Terminal.

i have successfully changed the sound but could not understand how change text!! i have grab the file named "hildon-fm.mo" now how what to edit in that file??(i have installed poeditor also on my pc)what do you mean by

Code:
where is hildon-fm.po file plz xplane

app similar to winterboard for iphone would be great, to include all the mods from thread "epic maemo mod thread”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
You can do this already. You have to do a custom "translation" of the UIs in question. If you want to do it the quick'n'dirty way, grab the .mo files for the app you want to edit from
Code:
/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES
(where en_US is replaced with the locale you have set up - for me, it's English (United States), it might be different for you). As an example, use the hildon-fm.mo file (the file manager texts). Now, copy that file from the device to your computer, and use
Code:
to convert it to a plaintext gettext file. You can then open and edit this using e.g. poedit. After you are done editing, save it, and use
Code:
msgfmt hildon-fm.po -o hildon-fm.mo
to compile the message catalog again. Now, copy the updated catalog to your device in the same folder as the old file (/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES) and make sure the permissions are correct.

You might need root permissions for replacing the files on the device. Be careful!

Sounds are replaced by simply replacing the sound files in
Code:
/usr/share/sounds
or
Code:
/usr/share/sounds/maemo/stereo
Have fun, but if you break something, you got to keep the pieces

Update: It seems like the "gettext" package is even available in Extras. With an "apt-get install gettext", you can have msgfmt and msgunfmt directly on your N900, and do everything from the X Terminal.
i have successfully changed the sound but could not understand how change text!! i have grab the file named "hildon-fm.mo" now how and what to edit in that file??(i have installed poeditor also on my pc)what do you mean by

Code:
msgunfmt hildon-fm.mo > hildon-fm.po where is hildon-fm.po file? plz xplane