Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by michaelmhk View Post
Screen always is people first impression of a phone.
Is it, really ? My 1st impression is the mobile OS. For example :
- my N900 is best mobile computer I've ever bought because of Maemo 5 and its qwerty keyboard;
- my N9 is my best touch smartphone because of MeeGo Harmattan;
- my Nexus 4 is the worst smartphone I've bought if only for Android (4.2/4.3) use, because after 1-2 hours of typical use with few simultaneous applications, the lame Android 4.2/4.3 closes applications even with 2GB of RAM ! At least I run and experiment Ubuntu Touch on this Nexus 4...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
How you judge numbers is also an opinion...
really? than nokia 3310 has the best screen ever! There is nothing philosophic about numbers. They represent tech values. Not asking for retina, asking for decent display.
I bet you are not using 15" at work, right? I think 15" is pretty workable display and can be used in everyday needs, but still you hardly find one using it.
Is it, really ? My 1st impression is the mobile OS. For example :
- my N900 is best mobile computer I've ever bought because of Maemo 5 and its qwerty keyboard;
- my N9 is my best touch smartphone because of MeeGo Harmattan;
- my Nexus 4 is the worst smartphone I've bought if only for Android (4.2/4.3) use, because after 1-2 hours of typical use with few simultaneous applications, the lame Android 4.2/4.3 closes applications even with 2GB of RAM ! At least I run and experiment Ubuntu Touch on this Nexus 4...
If your N900 was so great, why to get N9 and now Jolla? Why to move on by switching from something so awesome.
Btw i never used android, except rarely playing few games on my roomates Nexus S, but a lot of my cowokers have Nexus 4 and no one complains.
Again do not compare with iPhone and their phone, Jolla said they would be unlike, so if they want to be unlike, don't sell cheap specs for big price. It's not a secret that iPhone is over prices.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
If your N900 was so great, why to get N9 and now Jolla? Why to move on by switching from something so awesome.
As a user, to follow the new developments in mobile Linux (<> Android). As a developer, to release new softwares (all free and open source).

N900, N9 and now Jolla smartphones were far from perfection. The Maemo community has spent many months (or 1-2 years) complaining about small screen, small keyboard, etc of N900 (coming from N810), lack of keyboard and aegis of N9, etc.

But, IMHO, Maemo 4, 5, MeeGo Harmattan and Sailfish OS are not dumbed down mobile OS (like Android, iOS, Windows Phone). This is unlike.

Btw i never used android, except rarely playing few games on my roomates Nexus S, but a lot of my cowokers have Nexus 4 and no one complains.
While me and all of my friends have experienced applications being closed by the Android system.

Again do not compare with iPhone and their phone, Jolla said they would be unlike, so if they want to be unlike, don't sell cheap specs for big price. It's not a secret that iPhone is over prices.
The logic is very simple : it is impossible Jolla to release one smartphone which is perfect for everybody. It is not for me (would be with 5 row qwerty keyboard, 4.3", HDMI, etc), not for you, etc. Need to live with it. Or else buy one of 100 Samsung smartphones, at least one of them will fit your needs.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-09-25 at 00:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
i guess, you need to learn the difference between qHD and QHD.
There's difference between qHD and QHD, I know.

qHD = 960×540 display
QHD = 2560×1440 display

In this chart:
http://www.qualcomm.cn/sites/default...specs_9-12.pdf

You will find out something:

The best SoC in Snapdragon S4 Prime MPQ8064 Quad-Core with an Adreno 320 GPU only support FullHD = 1920×1080!

The MSM8930 with Dual-Core and an Adreno 305 to support QHD = 2560×1440, ARE YOU KEEDing me or something?
The MSM8930AB just support HD = 1280×720!

Qualcomm make typing mistake, that's what I can say here.

Last edited by fullauto; 2013-09-25 at 00:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to fullauto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
interesting cheers.

makes the 305 seem quite gutless.

the 225 was quite happy with WXGA, seems to have traded features for performance.
MSM8930AB support HD display with Adreno 305 GPU as well.
So I think, for supporting display resolution, is not just decided by GPU, but the entire SoC itself.

Last edited by fullauto; 2013-09-25 at 07:06.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
HD monikers are *****ic.

qHD = quarter of 1080
HD = 720
QHD = quad 720
1080, 720 = horizontal lines
4K = vertical lines

At least somebody decide what's the reference HD resolution and primary orientation

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Oppo and Cyanogen is a much much better device than Jolla.
Jolla Y U DISPOINT ?!?!?

You hooked us on with Qt-MobileLinux OS.
You lined us up with a gesture-based UX (even though it was flawed).
You sunk it all down with delays, high prices, low-end specs.

Why didn't you go for something more mainstream/on-target ??
- 5.2inches (pocketable, nice and big)
- 720p or higher
- OtherHalf for qwerty, gamepad (Shield eat your heart out), etc etc
- $650 or less
- Snapdragon 600 or better
- improvements to OS/ecosystem

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
As a user, to follow the new developments in mobile Linux (<> Android). As a developer, to release new softwares (all free and open source).

N900, N9 and now Jolla smartphones were far from perfection. The Maemo community has spent many months (or 1-2 years) complaining about small screen, small keyboard, etc of N900 (coming from N810), lack of keyboard and aegis of N9, etc.

But, IMHO, Maemo 4, 5, MeeGo Harmattan and Sailfish OS are not dumbed down mobile OS (like Android, iOS, Windows Phone). This is unlike.
I always don't get the logic. When you(or otheres) are getting to some point and suddenly you break it in the middle and using "unlike", "different", "revolutionary". It's like telling story "I wen in the middle in the street, and yu wouldn't believe, suddenly ... TADA"
What do you mean by dumbed or not? Dumbed like what? Yes they do have support, yes they promote. Yes they made people to run after companies and wait in lines just for piece of hw, while once companies where running after customers, but now thye do what ever they want.

The logic is very simple : it is impossible Jolla to release one smartphone which is perfect for everybody. It is not for me (would be with 5 row qwerty keyboard, 4.3", HDMI, etc), not for you, etc. Need to live with it. Or else buy one of 100 Samsung smartphones, at least one of them will fit your needs.
No one said it's possible, than why no reduce price, or not go at such scales. Why no reveal specifications before pre-order? And even now not all of them revealed ( it would be nice to find out that i need to but TOH for bluetooth for example as there is no info for that )
Why not tell ahead. I was promised for " we would make it different this time, we know all mistakes by Nokia", everyone loved N900 and N9 but still people kept telling that a lot of mistakes were made. We were promised for that "unlike" and now it's same "likely" story. You are telling that Nexus is sh**tty, but yu know that a lot of people think different, samsung(LG) devs think that it's awesome. So what?
You can't tell android or iOS is sh*tty so if we make phone at least a little bit better it would be good. You can't say something bad, than telling you are good as you are better than X. If you are better than X doesn't mean you are good enough.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Oppo and Cyanogen is a much much better device than Jolla.
Jolla Y U DISPOINT ?!?!?
You're funny

At least I am not disappointed... up to now what I have found out it is exactly what I expected. (and even exceeding it just a little bit...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What do you mean by dumbed or not? Dumbed like what? Yes they do have support, yes they promote. Yes they made people to run after companies and wait in lines just for piece of hw, while once companies where running after customers, but now thye do what ever they want.
I do not understand what you mean here, are you referring to largescale device manufacturers, Apple mostly propably?
Why do you need support? (What kind of support are you getting?)
Why do you need promotion? (What is the promotion you are talking about?)
I do not see any point in queuing up for a device launch, or running around after somebody/something, what's the value for you there?

As for support, Nokia gave me better support than anything I think Apple could ever have done, namely the sources to the kernel used in my device. I have had no other requirements for support.

No one said it's possible, than why no reduce price, or not go at such scales. Why no reveal specifications before pre-order? And even now not all of them revealed ( it would be nice to find out that i need to but TOH for bluetooth for example as there is no info for that )
Why not tell ahead. I was promised for " we would make it different this time, we know all mistakes by Nokia", everyone loved N900 and N9 but still people kept telling that a lot of mistakes were made. We were promised for that "unlike" and now it's same "likely" story. You are telling that Nexus is sh**tty, but yu know that a lot of people think different, samsung(LG) devs think that it's awesome. So what?
You can't tell android or iOS is sh*tty so if we make phone at least a little bit better it would be good. You can't say something bad, than telling you are good as you are better than X. If you are better than X doesn't mean you are good enough.
I cannot understand what you are saying here, please be coherent in your language