Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Is anyone aware of an application which would allow the N8x0 to work with a USB HDTV tuner?

These are now going for about US$69.

That would be a very valuable addition to the NIT repertoire.

I think you are out of luck there. I bought a USB (not HD)about a year ago hoping to get it to work on my Linux box. I never did find a driver for mine which of course is the first thing you need: http://www.linux-usb.org/ or here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Video_capture_card - very limited at best. If your card is among the lucky few then you might have a chance though horse power of the NIT will be the next major problem. If the card contains all the mpg decoders in hardware then just maybe....
It would be cool I must admit.

C

Well, if you get whatever tuner to working, it'd be the same as the DVB-H stuff here. (i.e. mplayer FTW)

However N8x0 doesn't have enough power to decode any HDTV material, actually SD resolution mpeg2 is also too much

That's not entirely clear; mplayer has some rather new stuff to actually only partly decode the video (downsampling during decoding) for lower CPU usage; there's also the possibility to do audio decoding on the DSP without pulling the CPU down to 330 MHz. That's all pretty hackish at the moment, but it's the sort of stuff that you can figure out once, and write a script so you click an icon and get video.

It's also possible that the HD receiver can provide a downsampled video stream. (Since 720p is already 2.4x as many pixels as the N8x0's screen, decode-time downsampling of an already downsampled stream would likely give visually good results, and has a decent shot at pulling usable framerate, I think.)

Still, it assuredly won't be tap-and-click easy.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Is anyone aware of an application which would allow the N8x0 to work with a USB HDTV tuner?

These are now going for about US$69.

That would be a very valuable addition to the NIT repertoire.
Spend less than 2X the money, you can have it now, from HAVA....

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-22 at 06:44.

Spend less than 2X the money, you can have it now, from HAVA....
please, more info - model or part number, links to specifications...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Gourmand View Post
please, more info - model or part number, links to specifications...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...highlight=hava

I bought the platinum package and I recommend it. There is no monthly subsription

bun