Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
What do you mean with nightmare???
I'm using AdGuard, it's the best there is. Never had ANY ads, not even inside other apps.

The UX. The last time I tried it, it displayed a persistent notification, which was impossible to hide. I don't need to be reminded/distracted that the ads are being blocked.

And I remember it broke some legitimate F-Droid app in a weird way, but I don't remember the details. Probably, Conversations got some random disconnects if the blocker was on, but none if one did it the proper way, via /etc/hosts. But I'm not sure, it was a long time ago

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
The UX. The last time I tried it, it displayed a persistent notification, which was impossible to hide. I don't need to be reminded/distracted that the ads are being blocked.

And I remember it broke some legitimate F-Droid app in a weird way, but I don't remember the details. Probably, Conversations got some random disconnects if the blocker was on, but none if one did it the proper way, via /etc/hosts. But I'm not sure, it was a long time ago
You can disable all notifications....
You can try out AdGuard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
You can disable all notifications....
You can try out AdGuard.

This was a Samsung Marshmallow ROM, things may have changed since then.
I'm happy using uBlock Origin/AdAway And my apps have no ads, because F-Droid

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
And I'm happy not using any "flavor" of crApdroid...

All those talks about Android make me sad, if I'm being completely honest and forthcoming.
I understand why the F(x)tec team makes its communication all about Android.
I don't like it, but unfortunately it's where the market is.

But I'd have hoped that on a community such as TMO, people would be all over the more open OS'es, rather than the same old evil octopus who's definitely not your friend (unless you're a bank, I suppose), and of whom we do know the toxic behaviors...

My "next" hope is that people (from TMO at the very least... I categorize the outside world as being 99% sheep) who will buy the Pro1 with the intent to use any kind of Android might actually try some other non-megacorp-based OS (SFOS, Leste...) at some point... *IF* they ever happen to be available and usable, that is.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by British View Post
And I'm happy not using any "flavor" of crApdroid...

All those talks about Android make me sad, if I'm being completely honest and forthcoming.
I understand why the F(x)tec team makes its communication all about Android.
I don't like it, but unfortunately it's where the market is.

But I'd have hoped that on a community such as TMO, people would be all over the more open OS'es, rather than the same old evil octopus who's definitely not your friend (unless you're a bank, I suppose), and of whom we do know the toxic behaviors...

My "next" hope is that people (from TMO at the very least... I categorize the outside world as being 99% sheep) who will buy the Pro1 with the intent to use any kind of Android might actually try some other non-megacorp-based OS (SFOS, Leste...) at some point... *IF* they ever happen to be available and usable, that is.
If Leste gets ported to the FxTec i'm going to run that instead of Trashdroid.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
F(x)tec and Chen did communicate about alternate OSes and the work-in-progress community port for Sailfish. Communication on Android prevails, but I don't think this is surprising, nor is it a bad move from them to secure sales.

My Pro1 will run the Sailfish community port and, hopefully, if dual-boot is supported, a streamlined version of Android (not sure which, I know nothing about Android forks) to run applications that have no alternative (mainly neobanks*, parkings, smart home stuff) and that I cannot run without Alien Dalvik on a community Sailfish port. If triple-boot is possible, I'll definitely have Leste too and I would use either Sailfish or Leste as my main OS, not sure yet.

* I don't want to change banks because of my phone. I do regret, however, that these banks do not offer any alternatives and enforce the use of applications instead of websites. But if this was only a trend a few years ago, this has now become the rule, and neobanks are not the only example. This is bad.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-05-13 at 12:30.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by British View Post

But I'd have hoped that on a community such as TMO, people would be all over the more open OS'es,.
well, we are. But then you realize that even sailfish which is by far more complete from all of them just doesn't do for everyday tasks. What's the point or running sailfish just for calls (since nobody is texting any more, at least not the old fashioned SMS way and our beloved OS doesn't support any other popular platform) and then boot android to do everything else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I do use SMS the old fashioned way on a daily basis, and obviously not with myself. A standard that does not require any specific OS or Internet access is still very useful, and so are MMS for the same reasons. But it is true that fewer and fewer people are using it, too bad that the main replacement is a proprietary locked system owned by Facebook.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Why all the Android hate?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Why all the Android hate?
Lol, you've got guts.

Prepare for this thread to go off-topic in 3... 2... 1...

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit