Active Topics

Hi there,

I have just wanted to download some google satellite maps area around my city but google banned me (my IP address) after a 5 MB of downloaded data.

I was downloading within a scratchbox from a maemo-mapper.

Any suggestions how to automate a process of downloading satellite maps around a specified area without being banned by BIG BROTHER Google ?

Thank you

I have never heard of Google banning someone for this. Why to Google would downloading maps from a pc be different than downloading from an internet tablet?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
There is probably a secret military site near his home

Somehow I have the same problem. Using maemo mapper and Google Satellite repository, just download a few Mbs, then go slower and finally stop downloading. It happens with maps on any place. I'm in Sonora Mexico, DSL service from Prodigy Infinitum Telmex.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I have never heard of Google banning someone for this. Why to Google would downloading maps from a pc be different than downloading from an internet tablet?
Google tries to take care of his resources ...

Every application which comunicates with google's API is limited for resources (do not know exact numbers but for maps API it is limited for max tiles downloads per day and more).

Maybe it would help not to download tiles concurrently but one by one.

I have no trouble using GoogleEarth ... so I guess that Google makes a difference while getting tiles via GoogleEarth or MaemoMapper or whatever other application !

I have the same problems... And then I can't even use googlemaps on my computer! (same router -> same IP).. It comes back after a while.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
I have also seen this behavior from google maps on my n800

I've never experienced this from Google or Yahoo and I've downloaded quite a few maps. But then again I'm usually at a cafe away from home when I download. I guess that cafe is no longer welcome on Google. hehehehe
You might be on a terrorist watch list. :0
If ITT cuts you off I would definitely call your Congressman and complain.
If you are in a foreign country that has mountains, lots of bearded, turbaned, AK47 toting, religious nut balls you have about three seconds before impact.

This happens all the time for me. I can only download just a few tiles, then that IP is blocked. I can't even download the tiles covering the area where I live, just a few square kilometers: after a little while it fails, and I have to switch over to VE or any of the others, or move to another IP. I'm not sure how long it stays blocked, a day maybe (I usually don't try it anymore that day so I'm not certain).

It seems to block your address for only 24 hours. Then you can download another few megs.