Active Topics

Notices

i used to use an app on my palm/treo's that would fax a document - is there anything like that available for use on an n8xx running diablo?

Last edited by prk60091; 2008-09-24 at 18:02.

http://www.cce.com/efax/ would be a good start, but that's only going to work with a faxmodem. Any RS-232 faxmodem and USB-RS232 or BT-RS232 should do nicely.

A cellphone may also work, but I've heard that a lot of providers block that (data and fax calls) unless you pay extra. In theory, it should be as simple as setting up the RFCOMM device and using efax with it, I think (Assuming your handset uses AT commands). (For which RFCOMM to use, I'd go with gnokii, gnokii-gconf, and phonelink, which you probably want anyway; when you've got that working, you know the settings...)

If you think that sounds good, I can give compiling it a shot...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
What might be more useful to you is an online service where you send them a document via email and they fax it. I think there are a couple cheap services for something like that.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
What might be more useful to you is an online service where you send them a document via email and they fax it. I think there are a couple cheap services for something like that.
There are those, but that's boring.

Good call.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
http://www.cce.com/efax/ would be a good start, but that's only going to work with a faxmodem. Any RS-232 faxmodem and USB-RS232 or BT-RS232 should do nicely.

A cellphone may also work, but I've heard that a lot of providers block that (data and fax calls) unless you pay extra. In theory, it should be as simple as setting up the RFCOMM device and using efax with it, I think (Assuming your handset uses AT commands). (For which RFCOMM to use, I'd go with gnokii, gnokii-gconf, and phonelink, which you probably want anyway; when you've got that working, you know the settings...)

If you think that sounds good, I can give compiling it a shot...
if you can compile it i would appreciate it..and use it

Here you go; untar this in your home directory (or wherever) and run make install as root to install it. It was a straight-up build, just like it's supposed to be.
Attached Files
File Type: gz efax-0.9a-001114.tar.gz (212.1 KB, 109 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
i am downloading it as i type- i will give it a whirl later tonite when i have time to mess around

thanks again i appreciate the effort

Benson,
I untared the efax file you compiled above into home directory now in root what do I do?
The efax file shows up in file manager under home directory as a ghost image that I can't open. I read the ' read me ' file but am still lost as to how to get this up and running. TIA

I have no clue what situation you're discussing, since the file manager can't even see the home directory. Fortunately, it doesn't really matter. All you have to do is go to the efax-0.9a-001114 directory and run make install. If you don't have make, you can just read the makefile and copy the binaries to their destinations manually.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I put up deb packages (with the source):
http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/efax/

efax & efax-gtk (not hildonised).

It suggests quite a few packages. If you really need one of those and it's not in any repo and I have time, I'll build them.

This is based of the upstream debian packaging so it has patches from debian.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-10-12 at 09:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: