Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I might be hanging out at the Tizen/B2G forums more regularly soon.....
Think I'll wait till there's actually devices before I start wasting my time though...
I have some faint hope for RIM too, don't think it's fair to rule-them-out entirely just yet...
Still like iOS/Android, & to a lesser extent WP, but my 1st love is a full FOSS mobile stack (within reason ofc).
I want to see that dream FINALLY realised beyond serial experimental launches; ALA Nokia.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-15 at 18:20. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Tizen is more than meltimi. Nokia never said anything about it,. Samsung have talked about tizen plus there are devdevices around. Big difference!
its ported to sgs2,

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Well,
I see it in this way: someone has to take over, why not get organized around this community? I mean the momentum is here, everything is evolving, let's take over. I mean there are serious software people here and folks who have the right assets.

I am being serious.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
its ported to sgs2,
Tizen is plain ridicilous.

If Samsung takes that damn Tizen serious why the **** do they bother add Android support? Anbd where is the damn devices!?

Tizen will never success they to damn scared going that direction. Tizen is just a way to scare Google a bit but it will NEVER be mainstream. Not even released for geeks. Just a few crapdevices.

Its just a ****ing hype to make geeks hope for something that never will appear.

Will you people NEVER LEARN from what we already has seen this years!?

Maemo4, Maemo5, Meego, WebOS and so on?

STOP DREAM. we will NEVER see a fully opensource platform.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-15 at 20:20.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You are a dramaqueen.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
[...]
Will you people NEVER LEARN from what we already has seen this years!?

Maemo4, Maemo5, Meego, WebOS and so on?

STOP DREAM. we will NEVER see a fully opensource platform.
If that's true, it's largely our own fault. Instead of coalescing around a single project, we fragment. If the Mer, Maemo, Meego, WebOS, SHR, NITDROID, qtMoko and CSSU groups all pooled their efforts on a single distribution for, say, the gta04, we might get a phone that we really controlled ourselves. Instead, what will probably happen is 1) The people who bought N900s and N9s because they looked cool, but who are not FOSS devotees will quickly leave. 2) New apps will stop showing up. 3) A year from now, all the effort will be centered on things *only* geeks care about, like getting Ubuntu to run on these phones.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by ombre View Post
Well,
I see it in this way: someone has to take over, why not get organized around this community? I mean the momentum is here, everything is evolving, let's take over. I mean there are serious software people here and folks who have the right assets.

I am being serious.
If the Vivaldi tablet is successful, then maybe there's scope for something to grow from there into other form factors.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Insanity continues; Sweden England 2-3.

Now even football fails me this week. At least I, unlike Nokia, have a Plan B. It's called Denmark. Danmark, Tuborg og søde piger i Jylland. My heart goes to Meltemi people who were locked out of their source code and internal servers yesterday before the annoucement and to the Tre kronor. I'm also drunk and depressed at the moment. So pretty much all normal and regular for a finn.

Originally Posted by ombre View Post
Well,
You don't happen to have about 8,7 billion euros of spare cash lying around? If yes, let's take over. I can be the guy who makes you coffee. You like milk and/or sugar? If no, then we can continue being a Yet Another Cool and Geeky Open Source Community.

More seriously, it would be nice if we could somehow get Nokia to release closed and unreleased code from Maemo, Meego and Meltemi projects. They won't be using it, nor will be the corporation that will buyout Nokia before or after the bankruptcy. All that code will just rot away. Now is the time to get Nokia to release it before it's too late. Its going to be too late quite soon.

Maybe we could start stalking and begging Elop in front of his apartment in Katajanokka. Those two bodyguards currently tailing him due to lay offs might be a problem. Lets just say that we come in peace and take us to your leader.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
If that's true, it's largely our own fault. Instead of coalescing around a single project, we fragment. If the Mer, Maemo, Meego, WebOS, SHR, NITDROID, qtMoko and CSSU groups all pooled their efforts on a single distribution for, say, the gta04, we might get a phone that we really controlled ourselves.
I have actually met one of the GTA04 developers on our conference. He had a GTA04 running Qt Moko or Debian with him. Looked quite nice & fast (finally!). There price (for +- improved N900 class hardware) is rather prohibitive though.

On the other hand, it has a magnetic compass, USB host out of the box, FM transmitter, 512MB RAM and built-in navigation board (pressure sensor, magnetometer, gyroscope, ...). Oh and tons of GPIO/SPI ports and a removable battery. And complete schematics + open drivers to about everything (there is a GPU blob).

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-06-15 at 21:29.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I have actually met
[...]
On the other hand, it has a magnetic compass, USB host out of the box, FM transmitter, 512MB RAM and built-in navigation board (pressure sensor, magnetometer, gyroscope, ...). Oh and tons of GPIO/SPI ports and a removable battery. And complete schematics + open drivers to about everything (there is a GPU blob).
Yup, in many ways it is the Geek Dream phone. When they started talking about building their own successor to the Freerunner, I poo-poo'd the idea. I didn't think of the possibility of leveraging the Beagle Board. It was a very clever thing to do. Everyone who can afford to should buy one.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories