Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey guys, if you guys know more information on which app or apps would cause our precious N900 to run down into the mud please post it here.

So far there are a few people experienced the battery issues with the Nokia N900.
It possible that some apps are not baked properly and causing it to hang and draining up the juice on the N900 that we do want to know and share with this community and warn those other users to avoid installing such utterly terrible app on our beloved N900.

Please passing it on thank guys.

Sorry I double posted.. here and General. First one was a wrong post tho lol

useful thread for all end users.......thanks
although can't make any useful post as still waiting for my n900..

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Hey guys, if you guys know more information on which app or apps would cause our precious N900 to run down into the mud please post it here.

So far there are a few people experienced the battery issues with the Nokia N900.
It possible that some apps are not baked properly and causing it to hang and draining up the juice on the N900 that we do want to know and share with this community and warn those other users to avoid installing such utterly terrible app on our beloved N900.

Please passing it on thank guys.

Sorry I double posted.. here and General. First one was a wrong post tho lol
I think what you are asking for may be a bit larger then just apps?
  • Applications that potentially cause problems, use too much memory, slow the device, crash etc?
  • Ways of using the device that could cause problems (Proven!) - ie using 999 apps at once... probably not sensible...
  • Hardware issues with the device that could cause problems... (stylus snaps etc...)
  • Miscellaneous..... Methods of doing things, right way v wrong way...

- i think there are lots of things that could cause the device to go wrong, and i agree a list of them, maybe wiki'fied would be good?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
first, to avoid battery issues, stay out of extras-testing and extras-devel.

second, i'm not sure this is the optimal way to go about memory leaks and other application troubles. instead, you could be a part of the solution by filing very specific bug reports at bugs.maemo.org.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I wish if I have my N900 here in my hands lol Gotta wait for it to be shipped to me first from Amazon. But this thread would help many End Users of N900.

And it could be very useful at some point

Facebook apps might be a potential problem? list it here guys..

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Edgar2 said it allready, stay away from extras-testing and extras-devel repositories! Its plain stupidity to install those apps and then whine about problems (if you really wanna test, then create bug reports, not useless threads), problem is the user, not device/app.

Another thing that annoys me here, is the fact that people with NO device give advices to people with problems. Usually most are inaccurate or plain wrong.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by ihmemies; 2009-11-29 at 11:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ihmemies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I just noticed that keeping a webpage with any flash component active in a window sucks a LOT of cpu cycles (and therefore presumably a lot of battery). Running Facebook and a local news page with a few flash ads in two backgrounded web windows gave me a constant cpu load of 40-80.

So if you have a lot of webpages open in their own windows and feel your N900 is slow, please consider closing the ones that have flash components and see if that makes your device snappier.

You can check cpu usage with "top". I've written a small tutorial on my N900 blog at n900experience.blogspot.com. Sorry if this sounds like spamming. I'll remove the mention of it if it offends people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by ihmemies View Post
Edgar2 said it allready, stay away from extras-testing and extras-devel repositories! Its plain stupidity to install those apps and then whine about problems (if you really wanna test, then create bug reports, not useless threads), problem is the user, not device/app.

Another thing that annoys me here, is the fact that people with NO device give advices to people with problems. Usually most are inaccurate or plain wrong.

Just my 2 cents...
I think you misunderstood the context.

He's asking for apps in general which could cause such problems as "draining the battery". There's also apps on extras which may be causing a problem & an end user wouldn't know about it. Not to mention that your answer was totally irrelevant to the OP. Nobody is whining here, it's only you who's giving me nausea listening to your moan. Refrain from posting nonsense.

Just my 500 cents.

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
I think, that application, which shows CPU and memory usage (and adds ability to take screenshots and screencasts) has a memory leak. Whe I had it installed after ~12 hours usage phone rejected launching of new applications and said, that I must firstly close something to free memory.
After deinstallation I don't have this issue any more.
But I had deinstalled several other applications, so I'm not sure. And I don't have time right now to investigate the case.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by God View Post
He's asking for apps in general which could cause such problems as "draining the battery". There's also apps on extras which may be causing a problem & an end user wouldn't know about it.
Then this thread is mistitled. Cause if you find a bug in a extras app (extras app should be tested and stable, but of course, bugs can still pass through undetected) you shouldn't "avoid the application" but notify the authors (possibly by filing a bug or emailing him calmly exposing the situation in a clear way).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: