Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pali View Post
dist-upgrade needs gnu coreutils (and other gnu packages) which are in conflict with busybox. And busybox is required for Maemo core system.
Good to know, but would've been even better to know a few pages back so that I'd went with apt-get upgrade instead. Luckily my system seems to have survived the ordeal ;-)

By the way, on the subject of CSSU, I wonder if it's okay to report a minor bug/feature (unsure which you would call it) in this thread? Since I've had my N900 (2010), I've used the built-in dictionary system but have noticed that, in certain cases, it incorrectly stores new words/entries. One example is with right parenthesis, ")", where it would store e.g. "foo)" instead of "foo". This can of course be avoided by putting a space in between, e.g. "foo )" would only store "foo", but it's a bit of a hassle. IIRC, there's a few other cases ("/" if I'm not mistaken). As I said, the issue has been around since the beginning of N900 so I'm unsure if it's really to be regarded as a CSSU bug per se.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
After getting the update installed, I can't confirm the behaviour you're getting, everything seems to work as normal. Most likely it's due to incorrect file attributes/ownership set for the MyDocs folder (and subfiles) as having owner/group set to root/root would prohibit non-elevated applications (camera for instance) to store data there. In my case the owner/group of MyDocs and subfiles/-folders is set to user/root, and I'm fairly sure that's how it's suppose to be. Seeing as it reverts the ownership when you try to change it, maybe it's caused by some monitoring process and/or improper settings for mounting it. For me, mount | grep MyDocs gives
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /home/user/MyDocs type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noauto,nodev,exec,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0000,rodir)
and ls -lAd /home/user/MyDocs
Code:
drwxrwxrwx   30 user    root      65536 Dec 27 08:49 /home/user/MyDocs
Maybe you run those and compare.
In my N900 the mount | grep MyDocs show the same except the attributes in brackets show only (rw).

The earlier indication that I was able to change the file owner and group to user/users was incorrect: When I try to do that I get error message "Operation not permitted". (Yes, I'm root at that time.) When I said it was working was when I unmounted the MyDocs and tried changing the MyDocs mountpoint (?) at /home/user/. (When mmcblk0P1 is not mounted the above mountpoint is empty.) Once mounted, the MyDocs gets populated with files but without user write access...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
IIRC in N900 /etc/mtab (what `mount` lists) is not a symlink to /proc/mounts and can be unreliable. Specifically, when kernel notices the corruption of fs and remounts it read-only, /etc/mtab will not be modified.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Milan - Italy
updated and ALL working very well

good work as usual!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexporta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
IIRC in N900 /etc/mtab (what `mount` lists) is not a symlink to /proc/mounts and can be unreliable. Specifically, when kernel notices the corruption of fs and remounts it read-only, /etc/mtab will not be modified.
Still not being able to resolve the issue.

So far I have tried running fsck and disk check from Windows as removable drive several times without finding any errors.

When MyDocs is mounted as removable drive I can access (and delete) files from WIndows computer without issues.

In the /proc/mounts I have this:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs vfat rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Wondering if these are correct?

I was thinking of wiping the MyDocs clean by flashing emmc image but I'd also lose the opts, and all the applcations, thus requiring a complete reflash of the device including the fiasco image and reinstall all my apps. Am I correct?

EDIT: I tried manually mounting MyDocs using umask=0000 and fmask=0000 options and now I have write access to MyDocs!!! So the proc/mounts file having the 0022 masks blocked the write access when auto-mounting the file system. Now the question is that why had it changed to 0022 and how do I fix it? (Manually editing the mounts file doesn't work, I can't save it.) The masks must be defined in some other configuration file?

Last edited by Mara; 2014-12-28 at 18:02. Reason: Found something

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
There is a new config file in CSSU, that define mounting opts (and MyDocs, and SD) options. I don't remember where it is, as I've ditched this mechanism in my personal setup, but it must be "somewhere" in documentation - maybe someone stupid ended up being written there (or double-written, or whatsnot)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pali View Post
dist-upgrade needs gnu coreutils (and other gnu packages) which are in conflict with busybox. And busybox is required for Maemo core system.
pali, but I do have gnu-coreutils and other gnu packages installed? Okay together with busybox-power.
Could you elaborate that a bit more, please?

For sure I would never ever do a dist(/deselect)-upgrade...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
There is a new config file in CSSU, that define mounting opts (and MyDocs, and SD) options. I don't remember where it is, as I've ditched this mechanism in my personal setup, but it must be "somewhere" in documentation - maybe someone stupid ended up being written there (or double-written, or whatsnot)?

/Estel
I have been looking around the config files etc. to see if I can pinpoint where the issue is. So far no success.

In the etc/fstab I have /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs vfat defaults 0 2

The fstab is generated by the script etc/event.d/rcS-late. I looked into this script and didn't notice anything unusual there.

The config file for user's filesystems seems to be the etc/default/mount-opts. I have there lines for "home-opts=" which I don't think applies for MyDocs case. The second line says: fat-opts="noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratim e,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed, dmask=000,fmask=0133,rodir". I did try changing the fmask to 000 and rodir to rwdir, after which I mounted MyDocs, but it did not help. (Then I changed them back to original.)

There is another config file /etc/default/mount-opts.dpkg-dist, but there I have pretty much the same options except the fmask=0000, which should work fine?

The file etc/profile file I have line "umask 022" but when I changed it to "umask 000" it did not fix the problem. (Then I changed it back.)

The simplest workaround at this point is to umount /dev/mmcblk0p1 and then remount it using this command:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 -o dmask=000,fmask=000

In other words the mount command finds the all the correct default options from somewhere. It only needs manual overrides for dmask and fmask values.

Maybe this gives enough details for someone with detailed file system experience to pinpoint where the issue might be?

EDIT: Before someone points out the space before the last "e" in "nodiratime", it seems to be created by this forum: In post edit mode the space doesn't exists.

Last edited by Mara; 2014-12-31 at 15:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
The config file for user's filesystems seems to be the etc/default/mount-opts.
Yes, this is the file I was talking about. If editing it doesn't help, I don't have a freakin' idea what is going on. It seems that on your system, something overrides those values no matter what, and AFAIK you've checked everything that could do it, humanly possible. I really would like to help you (I'm following your issue since start), but nothing more than xkcd's "your computer is literally haunted" comes to my mind at this point
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
I can't install mp-fremantle-community-pr because it depend on nokiamaps.
Code:
# apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  nokiamaps-navigation-provider
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nokiamaps-navigation-provider
The following packages will be upgraded:
  mp-fremantle-community-pr
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.3kB/27.1kB of archives.
After this operation, 94.2kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Err http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free nokiamaps-navigation-provider 0.200-2+0m5
  302 Moved Temporarily
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/community-testing/pool/fremantle/free/n/nokiamaps-navigation-provider/nokiamaps-navigation-provider_0.200-2+0m5_armel.deb  302 Moved Temporarily
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
Where can I get the nokiamaps-navigation-provider_0.200-2+0m5_armel.deb file?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing