Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Yes I have to do my homework.

Stskeeps, you may notice that in many ways I share some level of agreement with abill_uk on this topic.

As for misconceptions, please note that what I am asking is not the following:
N900 (hardware is not of interest) + Meego + closed propriatory bits of nokia + closed propitiatory bits of third parties

I am asking for the following:
open source hardware drivers for all of the device (770, 800, 810, 900 and maybe future device).

Yes you have provided the status of these components for n900, not for the other devices. You have stated we should be safe with closed source drivers, but have you ever had a machine with Broadcom wifi module, and did you ever experience the reliability of a similarly designed blobs?

I have, if you didn't you may want to spend some time in exploring how this really works in reality.

In short I simply want fully open platform DEVICE+DRIVERS+OS
Yes, I've had devices like that and am well aware of the problems with this. This is also one reason we're actively trying to open source what we can of the N900 stuff (before MeeGo, there was even no open source telephony stack), but let's face it - there's too much money in embedded still. There's much to be gained from hardware manufacturers such as ImgTec(SGX) and others to keep their IPR/source closed.

I won't go into N8x0, 770 as the situation is much worse there than on the N900. On N8x0, BME, GPS, Battery charging, WiFi is closed source.

I can't help but wonder - If you want a fully open platform, why did you buy a device that has known hardware components that only has support for it through closed source binaries?

At least our kernel has no closed source modules.

My stance is that well-maintained closed source redistributable binaries are better than none at all. And even with those binaries, we actively try to see what we reasonably can get open sourced.

Redistributable SGX drivers (libraries) were a win, compared to the crap situation before.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thank you for opening this thread as a more specific part of the problem abill_uk is pursuing.

I can't help but wonder - If you want a fully open platform, why did you buy a device that has known hardware components that only has support for it through closed source binaries?
Well the reason is as you put it at the other place:
"I did not do my homework"

Seriously, I've made extreme effort to obtain 770 ( I bought it in Berlin) since at that time I really thought it was the platform the Nokia Champions (you know those guys with fancy blogs, nice glasses, traveling around, giving lectures, being mostly silent or defensive now) branded as open source.

The flash and similar third party garbage was not of interest to me. You know, nobody bothered to tell us: there are some closed source bits.
So I've decided not to develop anything for a closed platform, and used it since as common consumer.

I've bought N810 because I had to replace 770, and nothing on the market was close to the form factor and features. It was already considered obsolete by many, since the maemo5 talks have started.

When your Mer project appeared I was hopping to join it, but it ended before that.

So that is the short sad story.

Now, I do have the worthy alternatives, but prefer to keep my n810 in working condition as long as possible.

Having OSS drivers would be great in order to have other distros instead of aging maemo.

The additional interest is to bring the topic to be noticed by the people who are being "teased".

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-02 at 11:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
...There's much to be gained from hardware manufacturers such as ImgTec(SGX) and others to keep their IPR/source closed.
I won't go into N8x0, 770 as the situation is much worse there than on the N900...

My stance is that well-maintained closed source redistributable binaries are better than none at all. And even with those binaries, we actively try to see what we reasonably can get open sourced.

Redistributable SGX drivers (libraries) were a win, compared to the crap situation before.
This is useful information, which even if you did post before got lost because of various other "contributions". Are we to imply from this that improved drivers exist? If so, how far do these drivers go to fixing the vsync and playback-framedrop problems?

From the point of view of a distictly amature graphics programmer, it would be good to know is how available these updated drivers are: can they be/are they ready to be installed by users and application (not OS) developers. And, are they accompanied by headers for us to create our own (?redistributable/oss) software?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-06-03 at 12:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
A user only needs to use the OpenGL ES headers as the SGX driver binary blobs include the closed source userspace OpenGL ES implementation from the hardware vendor.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
A user only needs to use the OpenGL ES headers as the SGX driver binary blobs include the closed source userspace OpenGL ES implementation from the hardware vendor.
Yes, I meant are these SGX blobs new, are they available and do they fix the graphics bugs that have been widely experienced and equally widely discussed?

As an aside, if the graphics system was less buggy, when the N900 was still on general release, I wonder: might there be an armv7-deb version of flash 10?
- guess we'll never know.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This is useful information, which even if you did post before got lost because of various other "contributions". Are we to imply from this that improved drivers exist? If so, how far do these drivers go to fixing the vsync and playback-framedrop problems?

From the point of view of a distictly amature graphics programmer, it would be good to know is how available these updated drivers are: can they be/are they ready to be installed by users and application (not OS) developers. And, are they accompanied by headers for us to create our own (?redistributable/oss) software?
vsync works in the MeeGo N900 drivers. I've tried to backport the kernel side to 2.6.28 without any success. 2.6.37 will -NOT- work on Maemo5.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
vsync works in the MeeGo N900 drivers. I've tried to backport the kernel side to 2.6.28 without any success. 2.6.37 will -NOT- work on Maemo5.
Indeed. Backporting this far back was always going to be unlikely.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Seriously, I've made extreme effort to obtain 770 ( I bought it in Berlin) since at that time I really thought it was the platform the Nokia Champions (you know those guys with fancy blogs, nice glasses, traveling around, giving lectures, being mostly silent or defensive now) branded as open source.
Wait-- we're entitled to nice glasses???

I wish FN would post all of the perks publicly...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I had a moment of hope when I read the first post. Oh well, thank you for clarifying. Guess that's it then: no chance of fully working graphics/properly implemented GLES on this device?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-06-03 at 22:07.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Wait-- we're entitled to nice glasses???

I wish FN would post all of the perks publicly...
I am sorry to hear you did not manage to grab your own pair of glasses. You understand off course who are the people getting targeted by this.

In their defence: nobody is immune to the glory. In this respect nokia has allowed people really involved in project to gain their share of publicity. Usually, in corporations, people like Steve Jobs and Mad-pig-Ballmer get the attention.

Back to open source drivers...