Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
is anyone from jolla team here..

its really great to have peoples like you...
Some maybe are on the IRC channels at freenode.net. But dont ask details they probadly will/can not give us any answers.

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
is anyone from jolla team here..

its really great to have peoples like you...
I don't think they wanna be too much in open yet. They made it clear on Twitter that they wont "leak" any stuff.

They will have product out this year and will inform more in coming weeks, that's about it for now.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I don't think they wanna be too much in open yet. They made it clear on Twitter that they wont "leak" any stuff.

They will have product out this year and will inform more in coming weeks, that's about it for now.
I'm part of the Jolla team, though working on Mer Core and I can't really say more than what twitter and press releases say.

Ask me anything about Mer though.

However, I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around this?

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Some updates:

Qt Components
According to this Tweet, regular Qt Components should be part of the software stack. This should enable easy porting (or simultaneous release) of Harmattan applications.

Python & PySide support
I asked about Python support on the Jolla IRC channel. It seems that as long it works on Mer, it should be no issue. There are actually already quite a few buildable PySide RPM Mer packages on COBS.

Nemo
Might be a good starting point to prepare for Jolla due to similar architecture (Qt, Qt Components, RPM, Mer based). Nemo supports the N900, N9 and can be alse run in a virtual machine on desktop.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm part of the Jolla team, though working on Mer Core and I can't really say more than what twitter and press releases say.

Ask me anything about Mer though.
Tangential on both: is the Jolla OS a proper Mer Core with their bits on top, or more loosely defined in the same sense that Maemo was described as Debian-based?

However, I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around this?
I would like to see more engagement in both directions rather than the freebie mentality that Nokia cultivated. Ie, open development with external participation accepted and welcomed, open bugtrackers etc. Make me want to spend my time trying to improve the platform (and I admit that's pretty hard after all the disappointments in the last few years), and make my time spent worth it by engaging rather than ignoring.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Anyone know how heading this show?

Ari jaaksi?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
What would be really interesting is if there is any relationship between the announcement and the news that Amazon is in the midst of developing a handset targeted at competing with iOS and Android.
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
I would be very glad with this.
But then again, why would Amazon trade an existing ecosystem, with apps already developed, installed user base, just for a new and unknown system?
Well, they could use Alien Dalvik / OpenMobile ACL, for which the only massive hurdle is to get users access to the Google Play Store (impossible without actual android?) or (the RIM approach) get apps re-submitted to another store like ... the Amazon App Store ... wait a minute! I might be onto something here!

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Tangential on both: is the Jolla OS a proper Mer Core with their bits on top, or more loosely defined in the same sense that Maemo was described as Debian-based?

I would like to see more engagement in both directions rather than the freebie mentality that Nokia cultivated. Ie, open development with external participation accepted and welcomed, open bugtrackers etc. Make me want to spend my time trying to improve the platform (and I admit that's pretty hard after all the disappointments in the last few years), and make my time spent worth it by engaging rather than ignoring.
Jolla bases on top of Mer, with their bits on top. Jolla participates and has been participating in Mer work for quite a while, though in stealth. Naturally if you do contributions to Mer (or when Jolla does), they're governed by the Mer governance/methods and discussed/reviewed in the open.

Open development is encouraged, but stay tuned for specifics.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone know how heading this show?

Ari jaaksi?
Ari Jaaksi is with HP.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla