Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Things just get slicker and slicker.
A portable media player
A portable gaming device
http://mobilitysite.com/2008/02/samsung-p9-the-future/

I have no idea what size the screen is. The only downer is that Vista is running - but that can be changed - at least it means that the device is powerful enough.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Aw, come on, it's a badly rendered fake
Or you really think that it can stream full WVGA (at least) signal from base to the screen?) And, as all crappy concepts, it's too slick for today's realities. So cool down

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
'Fake' is too strong a word IMO. It's a concept. Something like it is inevitable though.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
It will be innovative if they release it. Not for computer-geeky reasons, for mechanical and physics reasons. I have no earthly clue how they'll make the hinge set do EVERYTHING that render shows (at&t tilt like sliding/tilting screen in one scene, nokia-patent-like braced hinge in another scene (you barely see it because it's translucent), braced hinge that covers the game pad in one scene, but the game pad is exposed in another scene, oh, and it's a _deteachable_ braced hinge...). I'm really expecting to see some laws of physics violated here.

;-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Also, the Pandora is basically a community-developed device, by and for enthousiasts, without any huge corporation behind it.

Samsung... well isn't.

I guess I didn't catch the 'braced hinge'; or I'm not understanding what you mean. But it looks feasible from here. Wireless video transmission, of course, but it should work. (1024x600 @ 16 bpp: 9.6 Mbps bandwidth.) The screen has no electrical connections, except probably contacts to charge the battery when it's closed. It slides with two pins in each track; that keeps it straight until it gets to the point in the track where it can (if you want) switch to a hinge.

I'd say everything is feasible, given a year lead time and $10000 a unit, minimum order qty.: 1000 pcs.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
braced hinge: it doesn't fold like an AT&T tilt, it has a 3rd rigid piece that sort of makes a triangle. One of the last 2 or 3 scenes of the video shows it. It's translucent/transparent, so you just barely catch a glimpse of it.

Nokia had a similar patent for a tilt screen in late 2007.

Though, looking at the video again, it looks like it might just be a kickstand (I thought it showed it while the screen was still attached to the keyboard, but looking again it shows it while the screen is detached from the keyboard). Though, I also wonder how fragile that will be - detaching the pins from the slide.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
The screen has no electrical connections, except probably contacts to charge the battery when it's closed.
You really think that in 2 mm thin you can add a battery with the screen?) And it will hold power for... 3 minutes of seamless streaming?)
Concept differs from fake because concept is a real-thing or deeply developed thing that produced in one or two speices or "producing-ready" and fake is just a bad fanboy render without any sense So, that bad render with plastic looking like rubber, static screens and same animation thru the whole video is just a fake

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Wazd, your definition of concept is wrong, sorry. Take it from a former product designer of many, many years. Most concepts are at least 2 generations from current capability.

And that video is by no means a "bad render". You're being overly critical.

Oh, and thin film batteries are under development. You might want to at least see where R&D trends are going before ridiculing something or someone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
This is a sad day, just too cruel to have my expectations dashed.

It seems that not only is this not a P9, it is not even a Samsung. Just a university design concept inspired by the HTC Shift.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/21/d...msung-p9-umpc/

Though quite why such a clever project had to be spoofed in this way is not clear. It would have had just as much interest if it was honestly presented for what it is.