Originally Posted by itschy View Post
s. And thats why we need mild regulations. Not to keep us safe from evil people (aka "them"), but to protect us from things that people like us are involved in.

Coming back to my initial statements in some very early post: Most US-Americans posting here really scare me because of their attitude. Sungrove may be the only exception. Well and qole obviously, but he's from Canada.
Cheers you two. I salute you for coping with fatalsaint!
Thanks for the support itschy. Although I totally disagree with fatalsaint, I respect him/you for holding and expressing your belief.
I think it's good to talk these things out with those we disagree with.

Neil

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
fatal, I can go buy an assault rifle for a thousand dollars today. Period.
I challenge you to prove that. My definition of an assault rifle, like most people I know from gunsmiths to military to LEO, all consider an "assault rifle" to be a fully automatic firearm.

1 pull of the trigger. 30 rounds are fired.

I compel you .. LEGALLY go outside and purchase a Fully Automatic firearm for less than 1k dollars. Today.

I'll be waiting.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by itschy View Post
The point is, they might be seen as low life afterwards, and from an outside point of view, but it isn't that easy to spot while its going on.
I disagree. It IS easy to spot early on, and in this case, WAS. As I posted earlier, state governors a few years ago identified the warning signs and approached the Bush administration, which was (criminally IMO) predisposed toward allowing the shanigans.

So don't believe anyone who says malfeasance is hard to spot. It isn't. And in fact the signs are usually apparent to those close to the situation early on. The problems begin when you find that regulatory agencies are highly staffed with corrupt insiders, and whistleblowers are abused.

When you suffer the culture of corruption that we've had for some time, spotting a problem means nothing. Just ask Nancy Pelosi, who upon becoming Speaker of the House announced that no impeachment proceedings against Bush would be allowed to proceed under her watch. That's scary, too.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I challenge you to prove that. My definition of an assault rifle, like most people I know from gunsmiths to military to LEO, all consider an "assault rifle" to be a fully automatic firearm.

1 pull of the trigger. 30 rounds are fired.

I compel you .. LEGALLY go outside and purchase a Fully Automatic firearm for less than 1k dollars. Today.

I'll be waiting.
"LEGALLY" is a red herring. Sungrove did not qualify his post with that term.

I have seen people claim to do what sungrove posited. I cannot however determine the veracity of such claims.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
"LEGALLY" is a red herring. Sungrove did not qualify his post with that term.

I have seen people claim to do what sungrove posited. I cannot however determine the veracity of such claims.
Yes but "Legally" is the important part. You can not do what sungrove posted in a LEGAL way. Which, by definition, means that it is already illegal to do it.

Thus, we do not need more laws to make something that is already ILLEGAL, more.. Illegal?

Lets look at Drugs... there's already a outright ban on things like Marijuana, Cocain, LSD, etc, except for Medicinal Purposes. That's as close to a 100% ban as we'll probably ever see. And yet it's still buyable on the streets.. but the very act of BUYING, and of course SELLING that property is, already, illegal.

Anywhere that is selling a full on Military Assault Rifle and lets you take it home *same day*, A) is not likely to be under 1k, but B) is already an illegal transaction.

Now.. where sungrove is right, and I'm sure what he intended, is that I *can* go to my nearest gun store and buy me a new shiny Bushmaster AR-15 for less than 1k and walk out the door with it. However:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon
A key concept in defining the military assault rifle is the ability to provide a large volume of fire through fully-automatic or burst fire modes. Every nation that uses the term assault rifle refers to a rifle with said capability. A semi-automatic rifle does not have the capability to lay down large volumes of fire required for modern military assault operations and has not been defined as an assault rifle by any nation. The term assault weapon is more encompassing and fluid than the term assault rifle and leads to confusion that these semi-automatic weapons are fully automatic or would be used by militaries in assault operations. Further, the National Firearms Act of 1934 specifically addresses fully automatic weapons, and the private ownership and usage of them is extremely regulated. To add to the confusion, the media often refers to these semi-automatic rifles as military-style assault weapons.[4] Military assault rifles are also designated under the heading of assault weapon systems by several countries but are capable of full automatic fire creating more confusion.[5]

There is also the perception that firearms that fall under this category can be easily modified for fully automatic fire. This is not the case since the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regulations for manufacturers place certain restrictions on firearm product design to comply with the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934 and the amendments to the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986 that pertain to machine-gun ownership. These regulations require that semi-automatic firearms sold in the United States be especially difficult to convert to fully automatic operation.
And, for added measure (as this is directly the word used by sungrove): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and high-powered rifle ammunition.
What is selective fire?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_fire
A selective fire firearm can be fired in both semi-automatic and any number of automatic modes by means of a selector.
My AR-15 that I can purchase, legally, today, and take it home with me cannot be fired in BOTH semi-automatic, and fully automatic.. Thus, is certainly not an "assault rifle", and is only an "assault weapon" in the sense that that's what politicians call it.

Fatalsaint, I recognize the appeal to authority, but to me (and many people) it's a hair split. The article cited wants to make the claim that the term "assault" only has a military context, but that isn't realistic. Assault upon civilians can have radically different contexts than assault between or by military activists.

I would really, really hope we could avoid this sort of semantical entanglement...

The problem arises into what exactly is an "assault weapon".. since it's technically not definitively defined anywhere. IF an "assault weapon" is merely a gun that looks scary.. well that's just ridiculous. Why in the name of the heavens and earth would we ban anything just for "looking" scary? Should we ban cars that have flames and teeth painted on them because they "look" scary or intimidating? People might crash on the road if they "see" it?

Or, does the term "assault" put before, mean as this article describes:
"A key concept in defining the military assault rifle is the ability to provide a large volume of fire through fully-automatic or burst fire modes."

Now.. THIS makes sense (at least, from their arguments). Because firing into a crowd, large volumes of fire, through automatic mode, could obviously cause a massive amount of destruction.

A semi-automatic rifle does not have this capability.. and there are many, many, semi-automatic rifles used for Hunting, Varmints, Sporting, etc.

Just because the news called it a "military style assault rifle".. doesn't actually make it military style, an assault weapon, or even more dangerous than your average semi-auto rifle. It just sounds scary, and gets the news ratings.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat
I would really, really hope we could avoid this sort of semantical entanglement...
...by agreeing that "assault rifle" should include any semi-automatic rifle, and thus be banned/illegal? Well, that would certainly help you make your point, wouldn't it?

I think the whole point (and I don't pretend to speak for fatalsaint) he was making was that the government made up the term, and purposefully gave it a very loose definition, specifically so that they could play the semantics game and thereby back-door a semi-automatic weapon ban.

Originally Posted by Texrat
The article cited wants to make the claim that the term "assault" only has a military context, but that isn't realistic.
I think the article cited was making the point that "assault rifle" only has a military context, not that the word assault has only a military context.

You're constructing straw men again.

I understand if you enjoy going off on those tangents for the sake of it, but it really does pollute a discussion...

You are also arbitrarily editing the argument by pedantically focusing on the military definition of "assault". That's unrealistic. We are not talking about military use of weaponry. We are not talking about a military theater. We are talking about civilian situations. Ergo, military contexts and definitions need not apply. While "assault" may mean, say, 30 rounds of automatic ammo in a military context, in a civilian context it could be as little as 10 (for example) semiautomatic (please don't run with that statement as if it was an absolute).

That's what is so frustrating about these "debates"-- defenders of an issue want to willfully and even capriciously exclude important context and force the discussion into unreasonable black-and-white boxes that they control. And then, ironically, gripe about the media's spin...

Originally Posted by briand View Post
...by agreeing that "assault rifle" should include any semi-automatic rifle, and thus be banned/illegal? Well, that would certainly help you make your point, wouldn't it?
I am not so petty and I resent your unwarranted implication.

I think the whole point (and I don't pretend to speak for fatalsaint) he was making was that the government made up the term, and purposefully gave it a very loose definition, specifically so that they could play the semantics game and thereby back-door a semi-automatic weapon ban.

I think the article cited was making the point that "assault rifle" only has a military context, not that the word assault has only a military context.
And I am saying that "assault rifle" can have different viable connotations in a military versus civilian context. That is just my opinion, briand. it was not derived from any source playing word games, either. Here's a newsflash: I'm a grown-up, just like you, capable of making up my own mind and constructing my own arguments. I'll let the spinning government lawmakers and breakers speak for themselves... and they sure don't speak for me.