Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I never paid much attention to the karma system as I'm not really contributing anything; only recently I found out that most of the people registered at maemo.org have even less karma, so I started to have a closer look. I found the results are a bit strange, so I just wanted to compare to others - maybe you can tell me if this is correct:

On my profile, there's a section "Favourites" I seem to get a few karma points for. It lists news from Planet Maemo I voted for. What I find strange is that these news are quite old, almost 2 months. I know I clicked on much more news items recently; don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to get a karma of 792 by favoring stories on the planet, but I'd like to know why this section lists those old headlines instead of the most recent ones.

Also, I only recently bothered to update my profile so that it contains jabber, website and, among others, my nickname on ITT. Again, I would have expected my karma to change after the system realizes that I did some posting here and got thanked a few times. (At least that's what I heard would happen.) It didn't, I still have the same karma points as before and there's no indication that any reference to ITT is made.

Does anyone know whats going on? Isn't the profile updated in real time? Or doesn't ITT count that much and are the old headlines leftovers from an old system that will never be removed or changed?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Or doesn't ITT count that much...
It doesn't count at all...yet. Someday.

You'll know when it starts working by the eerie sound of GeneralAntilles' distant cackling.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
It doesn't count at all...yet. Someday.
See, I'm getting old. I could have sworn I'd read somewhere it already counts.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You'll know when it starts working by the eerie sound of GeneralAntilles' distant cackling.

So the only open question is: Why those old news in "Favourites" ?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
On my profile, there's a section "Favourites" I seem to get a few karma points for. It lists news from Planet Maemo I voted for. What I find strange is that these news are quite old, almost 2 months. I know I clicked on much more news items recently; don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to get a karma of 792 by favoring stories on the planet, but I'd like to know why this section lists those old headlines instead of the most recent ones.
There've been more than a few times where the karma system stops updating. This could be one of them. Filing a bug couldn't hurt.

. . . my nickname on ITT. Again, I would have expected my karma to change after the system realizes that I did some posting here and got thanked a few times. (At least that's what I heard would happen.) It didn't, I still have the same karma points as before and there's no indication that any reference to ITT is made.
See bug #2303 and bug #2304.

Does anyone know whats going on? Isn't the profile updated in real time? Or doesn't ITT count that much and are the old headlines leftovers from an old system that will never be removed or changed?
Karma is only updated once every 24 hours, but the updating could've stalled on favorites. itT stuff simply isn't counted yet.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There've been more than a few times where the karma system stops updating. This could be one of them. Filing a bug couldn't hurt.
OK, now that I know it actually *should* update... Thanks for all your info on this.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
As GA says, file a bug or comment on one of the ones given above. I had a problem with karma some time ago that was investigated and fixed, took along time to sort out though but when it was fixed it retrospectively gave me karma points that I had missed.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are there karma rewards or something? Can I redeem my points for prizes?

ie why should I care about maemo.org karma?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
ie why should I care about maemo.org karma?
Well, it's used to help determine who to give device discount codes to, who to sponsor for events and, now, whether you're eligible for maemo.org Community Council candidacy.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think I have zero.

...can it go into the negatives?

EDIT: crap, it can go negative, but I didn't want to see it happen to people I like...

Can I give my 16 points away? I don't need 'em.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-08-28 at 04:26.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Check out ThoughtFix's karma! (Poor guy!)

-T.