Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
now you should search a mobile application that has only similar functions (iteration calculation + drawing results).

e: and naturally calculations are really intense.
I don't think I understand this. A mobile application for Meego/Maemo or even Android running native code can do this probably thousands of time faster.

so technically, what is the reasoning behind html5? I read that page "whats next for meego", but I dont get it. Isn't html5 going to be a set of dlls? Or is something really changing in the linux kernel for html5 lol ... Isnt Qt just a set of dlls/libraries (sorry i'm a windows dev so i keep refering to them as dlls)? If we delete those libs, qt will stop working from n900/n9 right? Assuming that the current worldwide trend was html5 and we had it all running on n900/n9(50), and there was this new trend of Qt (assume apple liked it a lot), would we just throw away the whole friggin distro to make a new distro to make it qt compatible?

It just seems like some totally marketing decision which the higher technical people are now trying to justify, willingly or unwillingly. Poor souls.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What's next? For MeeGo? Are you kidding?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Samsung, too, in the Tizen camp... let's not forget. As for slower--that's less a fault of HTML5 and more a fault of the HTML5 engines/virtual machines, wouldn't you agree?
HTML5 doesn't use a virtual machine.

Originally Posted by Radu View Post
I don't think I understand this. A mobile application for Meego/Maemo or even Android running native code can do this probably thousands of time faster.
Native code is faster. The issue though is to create cross-platform applications. For that you need an agreed upon standard. It appears that HTML5 is now that standard.

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
HTML5 = newly born
HTML5 is meant to be backwards compatible with older versions of HTML. It has been around for a very long time.

Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Native code is faster. The issue though is to create cross-platform applications. For that you need an agreed upon standard. It appears that HTML5 is now that standard.
Well... According to the W3C, HTML5 is still at "Working draft" stage (their lowest maturity level). Anyone attempting to build a platform on top of that does so at their own risk ;-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well... According to the W3C, HTML5 is still at "Working draft" stage (their lowest maturity level). Anyone attempting to build a platform on top of that does so at their own risk ;-)
HTML4 was never final. The only issue I can foresee is that people are overlooking the biggest question: What's the future of Maemo?

MeeGo is now Tizen. Maemo existed before MeeGo. It even exists on top of MeeGo basically - dumbing it way down, I know. But that's my question at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
HTML4 was never final.
4.0 has been a W3C "Recommendation" (their 5th and last maturity level) since 1997!

The only issue I can foresee is that people are overlooking the biggest question: What's the future of Maemo?
I suspect it will be completely unrelated to anything Intel and the LF cook up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
When they say that HTML 4.01 Spec is "recommended" and not "final recommendation", I tend to state/believe that it is not final.

W3C Recommendation 24 December 1999
Doesn't mean I'm right, but HTML 4.01 has standing revisions after 1997.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, html != c/c++, meego is dead