you could have a look through www.n900wallpapers.com or you can resize any image to 800x480 to fit your screen.

There is also the show us your maemo5 desktop thread that has loads of wall papers littered through it. It is a huge thread but don't worry, it is mostly pics.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
BaronKatz, don't overclock unless you think it's absolutley necessary (ie a specific application runs too slow to be usable). If you really feel you need more speed you could check out cssu-thumb which is bleeding edge and might make you lose everything, cause a reboot loop or other things but at least it can't harm your device in the long run.

It's true that very few people had problems with overclocking but a brand new N900 is really hard to find anymore and I would take as much care as I could of it.

Finally, don't bother with app manager, except for cssu updates. Use fapman for browsing/installing and apt-get/dpkg

If you download a deb file off somewhere do dpkg -i mydeb.deb as root and you're good to go. Beware of deb files not specifically made for the N900, they might fill up your rootfs space.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
BaronKatz, don't overclock unless you think it's absolutley necessary (ie a specific application runs too slow to be usable). If you really feel you need more speed you could check out cssu-thumb which is bleeding edge and might make you lose everything, cause a reboot loop or other things but at least it can't harm your device in the long run.

It's true that very few people had problems with overclocking but a brand new N900 is really hard to find anymore and I would take as much care as I could of it.

Finally, don't bother with app manager, except for cssu updates. Use fapman for browsing/installing and apt-get/dpkg

If you download a deb file off somewhere do dpkg -i mydeb.deb as root and you're good to go. Beware of deb files not specifically made for the N900, they might fill up your rootfs space.
Cool thank you! One thing I'm noticing is that when people call me it sometimes freezes up a bit. Especially when the screen has gone to sleep... I miss call this way as there is no "button" to answer calls but you have to touch the screen...

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
you could have a look through www.n900wallpapers.com or you can resize any image to 800x480 to fit your screen.

There is also the show us your maemo5 desktop thread that has loads of wall papers littered through it. It is a huge thread but don't worry, it is mostly pics.
My problem is that once I download these wallpapers, themes, etc... I don't know where they go. They are not in the images folder... Where by default are the wallpapers stored?

I want wallpapers that are not just single ones but that seemlessly merge together into one from my 4-5 desktops as the default Nokia one does and some other ones... Isn't there something that automatically just replaces all 5 wallpapers from the files or?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The site with a lot of wallpapers has a program called Prism or similar that makes setting up particularly easy.

In general -- the most important thing to learn is how to flash. That gives you a safety net that will get you out of almost any problem.

Listen to everyone but test and draw your own conclusions. Make lots of mistakes and recover. Even some of the least respected programs like battery patch have their good points. Learningto overclock is another good way to learn. The doc umentation is excellent.

Learn to use apt-get. Use Backupmenu and the backup that comes with the device; they both have their uses.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The site with a lot of wallpapers has a program called Prism or similar that makes setting up particularly easy.

In general -- the most important thing to learn is how to flash. That gives you a safety net that will get you out of almost any problem.

Listen to everyone but test and draw your own conclusions. Make lots of mistakes and recover. Even some of the least respected programs like battery patch have their good points. Learningto overclock is another good way to learn. The doc umentation is excellent.

Learn to use apt-get. Use Backupmenu and the backup that comes with the device; they both have their uses.
Besides seeing any possible error reports. What is the advantage of using apt-get over just installing from FAPman? Will it be a cleaner install?

Last edited by BaronKatz; 2012-07-16 at 02:58.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Yeah sorry I meant rootsh and not rootme lol

It's usually best to install apps through an app manager because it is safer to do so.. apt-get is usually more suitable for power users.. The reason why I told you to use that is to see what error will come up when trying to install merge contacts.. For you it's best to use apt-get command as a last resort thing (if all else fails).. At least until you get more familiar with the N900 and Maemo.. The reason I said all this is because there is a slight potential that the apt-get (if used incorrectly) will break important packages and will then create a big problem for u..

Last edited by bandora; 2012-07-16 at 05:53.

Originally Posted by BaronKatz View Post
I've installed the new Power Kernal now as well as you suggested! it's 2.6.28.10-power50.

BTW any other must have apps would be great. My N900 is working super fast and smooth now thanks to you all! I don't see the need to overclock just yet although it is tempting! I am a newbie and would love to learn all these great linux commands. I once installed MAC OS through a linux program on my PC and I had to learn a lot of the Sudo commands, etc... to get it running and install drivers, etc...
What differences have you noticed with the new kernel? I am thinking about upgrading my kernel too, to have access to nice things such as ppp, nat and usb drivers for several devices, but I would like to know if you noticed any difference with stability, speed or battery life. Anybody else care to comment?

Was the kernel update what made your n900 smoother, or was it something else?

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post
What differences have you noticed with the new kernel? I am thinking about upgrading my kernel too, to have access to nice things such as ppp, nat and usb drivers for several devices, but I would like to know if you noticed any difference with stability, speed or battery life. Anybody else care to comment?
Yes.
It's highly recommended to increase performance of all mentioned above.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post

Was the kernel update what made your n900 smoother, or was it something else?
What made it faster really was the Swappolube, that's the thing that really changed it.

As far as reliability. I'm not sure whether this is due to the new Kernal but in General if I have the unit on for 24 hours for example and use it quite a bit, it will eventually start to freeze up. It's actually restarted or shut down on its own accord before, and sometimes when I open an app it will just close it automatically after a couple of seconds before even loading it. Not sure what's causing this?