Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
First and third posts by thp and claesbas, respectively, were merged into a single post by thp as requested.by claesbas. It's the closest thing i could find to changing ownership.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
First and third posts by thp and claesbas, respectively, were merged into a single post by thp as requested.by claesbas. It's the closest thing i could find to changing ownership.
Thank you Flandry..

thp: You can now add updates and links in the first post (just delete/clear my stuff). Much easier for people to find..

Last edited by claesbas; 2010-02-02 at 10:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to claesbas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
Does it just take practice to write on the screen with the stylus, without any part of your hand touching the screen at the same time? I find it awkward and difficult (with paper my hand often rests on the paper while writing). Am wondering if there is some trick to it?
Nice app!
Can't save a memo if N900 is connected to my pc, but I think that's a maemo bug, not a maepad bug?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by joelus View Post
Can't save a memo if N900 is connected to my pc, but I think that's a maemo bug, not a maepad bug?
Yes, the memos.db (or whatever name you gave it) is saved in MyDocs, which gets unmounted when you connect the N900 to your PC. One option would be to save the file into your $HOME with the negative side effect that you don't "see" the memos.db file anymore in the file manager.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
thp: You can now add updates and links in the first post (just delete/clear my stuff). Much easier for people to find..
Great, I've kept your initial post intact (just quoted it) and added relevant links to it. (On Slashdot, you still have to stay up all night long to achieve first post.. here on t.m.o, you just get first post assigned )

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thp View Post
The app is crashy, and I still need to figure out why (I can't reproduce the bug when starting from the terminal, but it always "crashes" when started from Desktop shortcut or menu). It does not really "crash" per se (there's no core being produced), but somehow closes down. Maybe some ugly D-Bus magic going on there. I'll upload another .deb as soon as I get it in a more stable state (I don't want hate-mail from people who lost their precious checklists or artisty paintings because of that .
Hi thp, great work so far!

Have you found this Bug?
If yes, what was the reason for it?

They guys at the Navit Thread have the similar problem. Perhaps the same reason?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hi thp, great work so far!

Have you found this Bug?
If yes, what was the reason for it?

They guys at the Navit Thread have the similar problem. Perhaps the same reason?
It's called not osso_initializeing() if using X-Osso-Service in the desktop file. (And, of course, having the service names matching. e.g. "com.gstar.weed" in the desktop file and the service file != "com.nokia.weed" so osso_initialize ("weed"...) doesn't work...)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-03 at 11:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Wow - this app looks amazing.

But I've never installed anything from Devel before (and only one or two things from Testing). How safe is this to install from Devel? (I'd obviously disable Devel straight away!)

I'd be more than happy to test it out and report bugs, etc (once I learn how! to do that for Testing and Devel stuff!). But not at the expensive of it screwing up my N900.

I don't mind the program crashing, but don't want it to fudge up any main system stuff, or any of my other personal stuff on the N900.

As you may have guessed, even though I've had my N900 since mid-Dec now, I'm still very much a Noob in the Maemo/Linux dept, but willing to learn.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Wow - this app looks amazing.

But I've never installed anything from Devel before (and only one or two things from Testing). How safe is this to install from Devel? (I'd obviously disable Devel straight away!)
Actually I never had any problems with packges from the devel repositories though I am constantly using it for apps which are not in testing but raised my interest.
Note that lots of apps ported from the desktop are not optified yet while the ones written from scratch often already are. That means that they will fill your small root file system with data and binaries thus quickly overloading it. In certain cases it is even hard to get rid of those after they have been optified some day.
As a second issue programs might require higher versions of libraries which might then be incompatible with the ones already provided. If such libraries are installed they can ruin your installation.
However operating with care helps here and reducing installation of apps from devel repositories to the mininum increases the chances of keeping everything in order.
As I said I never had issues with extras devel but be prepared for the worst case according to Murphies Law

Originally Posted by ofels View Post
Actually I never had any problems with packges from the devel repositories though I am constantly using it for apps which are not in testing but raised my interest.
Note that lots of apps ported from the desktop are not optified yet while the ones written from scratch often already are. That means that they will fill your small root file system with data and binaries thus quickly overloading it. In certain cases it is even hard to get rid of those after they have been optified some day.
As a second issue programs might require higher versions of libraries which might then be incompatible with the ones already provided. If such libraries are installed they can ruin your installation.
However operating with care helps here and reducing installation of apps from devel repositories to the mininum increases the chances of keeping everything in order.
As I said I never had issues with extras devel but be prepared for the worst case according to Murphies Law
Thanks for replying. I kind of know about this Optification of apps, I know that if things aren't optified then the "app space" can get eaten up quite quickly.

Is MaePad optified?

And, slightly OT, how do you know what is and isn't optified?