Hello!

I've been searching for recent information about it, but I can't seem to find anyone else having similar problem... Which is: my battery started to drain like crazy! When I checked battery-eye it seems it started after 4-5 may. And I can't recall installing anything that could cause such drainage. Last backup is from 8th may (and done because of dropN900). And it weights 124MB if it changes anything. Tried finding the culprit with top, powertop and found nothing really interesting (nothing constantly on or new, weird process) most usage has
Code:
/usr/bin/Xorg -logfile /tmp/Xorg.0.log
next one is changing - sometimes top, sometimes hildon-status-menu or desktop. but 1%CPU at max.

http://pastebin.com/5WqmdyCp here's Xorg.0.log. I can see some errors, but they tell me nothing...

P.S. No - no permanent connection. I've purposefully disabled connections for a whole day (except three or four short calls)... And with old battery drainage i could use 3g, listen to music and do all things and still I did get more than 2 days!

P.S.2 I've got two batteries and both have allmost the same drain time.
Attached Images

Last edited by sonofabit; 2013-05-17 at 13:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sonofabit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I have a problem with N900 battery charge, too. I had BatteryGraph installed, I purged it, this strange problem didn't change.
Facts: the battery-status hildon-menu indicator can show you red battery and "Battery low" notification when, according to bnf, the battery charge is about 30%-50%. And, after leaving the device turned-on, cellular-radio-on, wifi-off, no-windows-open, no-charging, no-usb, no-bluetooth, no-GPS... The battery indicator returns to normal, bnf-compliant, green value. And this nerves-destructing event can repeat itself several times during one short trip. I don't know the reason. I can only thank bnf for supplying me with plausible information.
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Hi
sonofabit: Check this out in x-term and post a powertop.txt content.

sleep 60 && powertop >> powertop.txt

Wikiwide: I had similar problem but in my case, n900 was turning off every time the red led and notification of low battery state appeared. After some researching I found out that power amlifier ( gazoo ) was the culprit. It was spontaneously dropping down the voltage below 3.2v what was causing shuting down. Puting a sim card above gazoo helped. It can be also related to no telephony problem, because when I stoped bme and voltage dropped down the "no sim card" icon appeared
Did you have problem any of this problems ?

The Following User Says Thank You to madry72 For This Useful Post:
@Wikiwide - I'd say your battery is dying... But my problem is a tad different - it started happening overnight.

@madry72 - http://pastebin.com/hhNUuZgP here's powertop. Interestingly enough my mmc is 90% empty. I will take it out and test battery life without it, but I've had it in from the begging. And it's only 2GB one.

But what seems odd is my today's (or rather tonight's) batterygraph slope... As I came home wasted out of my mind I didn't want anyone bothering me, but I'm not the turned-off-phone type of guy, so I've decided to set silent profile without vibration... And strangely enough slope was almost flat!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to sonofabit For This Useful Post:
It think that your battery problem is just related to your every day use. Powertop output you've posted shows quite good idle state, so for now there shoud not be any battery drainage. You can repeat test and check powertop without sd card. Also install powertop from repos. Version you already have must preinstalled with maemo. Seems that it hasn't got some features.

The Following User Says Thank You to madry72 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by madry72 View Post
It think that your battery problem is just related to your every day use. Powertop output you've posted shows quite good idle state, so for now there shoud not be any battery drainage.
Well... no... My daily usage is shown on screenshot. I'm not talking/texting much, but I'm often connected (for chatting). And typical 2day runtime is what I want to achieve. But less than a day?

You can repeat test and check powertop without sd card. Also install powertop from repos. Version you already have must preinstalled with maemo. Seems that it hasn't got some features.
I will test it and download powertop and post results.
Attached Images

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by sonofabit View Post
I've been searching for recent information about it, but I can't seem to find anyone else having similar problem... Which is: my battery started to drain like crazy!
P.S.2 I've got two batteries and both have allmost the same drain time.
Well, you are not alone
I have exactly the same situation and it started on Thursday, May 16th. My typical runtime has been also 2 days (about 48 hours), but now it is barely about 18 hours... Command "top" shows usual processes and the CPU load is the same as peviously. And I also have 2 batteries and they behave the same...

The only thing I did on Thursday, was that I upgraded to kernel-power-settings 0.17 from extras-devel and as I did "apt-get upgrade", I also got updates for libmagic1, gstreamer0.10-maemo-xiph and file packages. After every reboot I load the "default" profile with kernel-power-settings. After discovering the battery drain I downgraded all these packages to their previous versions, but the problem remains...

Could it be possible that kernel-power-settings 0.17 introduced some change that is not reverted by downgrading the package? Or are both of my batteries from the same series and their lifetime has just gone to the finish??

Any ideas what to check further?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
what king of config do you use for your kernel-power? can you post-it here? maybe you overvoltage the cpu , that's why the drain

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
@acrux - try switching profile to silent w/o vibrations and back (maybe give it some time). Also take out your SD card. I haven't done much else (apart of what I've already mentioned) but my runtime have increased abit...

@Alecsandru - Well... I don't think it's about CPU. Why? Because if I'd have overpowered CPU it'd at least get warmer... And it haven't. Also what's funny is that that slope wasn't changing much even with 3G...

The Following User Says Thank You to sonofabit For This Useful Post:
I don't know if it's a placebo , but my battery life seems to last longer with 8gb ext4 home +1gb swap+kp52+thumb1 +starving profile

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-05-20 at 10:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, nokia n900