Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Doesnt this sound like an other phone platform ? glad to know this wasnt all thrashed then
Yes, I was surprised to see that the device indeed seems to have been continuation of the Harmattan platform and in a way a kind of bridge product towards what became SFOS on MER.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
A little digging around the filesystem:

Code:
meltemi-release:    0.0.01
meltemi-version_id: 12w02e
meltemi-platform:   clipr
meltemi-build_id:   0.0.01.12w02e
meltemi-timestamp:  This image was generated on:
                    Fri Jan 13 14:26:59 UTC 2012
Forgot to say;
  • It has kernel version 3.0.1.11
  • The display is using Wayland
  • UI is based on QML
  • Javascript is used all over the place
I've been poking around too and also discovered the following:
  • Appears to be based on MeeGo 1.1.80 (reported by /etc/issue.net).
  • Uses RPM and ZYpp.
  • Packages are armv7hl.
  • Uses System V init.
  • Uses Qt 5.
  • Uses standard GNU programs (i.e. no BusyBox).
  • The web browser is called Slickrock, is QML based and uses QtWebKit.
  • Couldn't find any indication that it uses Aegis but it does have a refhashlist file.
  • Uses a Nokia proprietary compositor called Baldr.
  • Has X-Prot modules like N900/N9.
  • RPM spec files can be found under /.meta
  • I found a reference to an internal wiki at http://wikis.in.nokia.com/Meltemi (maybe juiceme can let us know if it still exists ).

If you want to chroot into this on a Linux PC with QEMU, just copy /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static to /usr/bin of the Meltemi file system and QEMU will run automatically when you run the chroot command.

DirkDagger, you realise that whoever supplied you with this device is legally obliged to provide you with Meltemi's Linux kernel source code should you request it. It wouldn't hurt to ask for it.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-01-19 at 06:29.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Here is the list of packages that were available in the ZYpp repositories (output of zypper pa). Installed packages are marked with an "i".

The udev-rules-nokia-n900 package makes me wonder if they had this running on the N900.
Attached Files
File Type: gz meltemi_packages.txt.gz (17.7 KB, 101 views)

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
[*]I found a reference to an internal wiki at http://wikis.in.nokia.com/Meltemi (maybe juiceme can let us know if it still exists ).
It seems that it does have a DNS entry, but unfortunately I cannot reach that subnet. Could be it is inside MS now;

juice@ahma:~$
juice@ahma:~$ nslookup wikis.in.nokia.com
Server: 10.159.0.11
Address: 10.159.0.11#53

Non-authoritative answer:
wikis.in.nokia.com canonical name = newwikis.in.nokia.com.
Name: newwikis.in.nokia.com
Address: 147.243.14.159

juice@ahma:~$

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Bavaria
today i had a conversation at work with a colleague and he told me that he was a trainee @ nokia ulm and developed for a "successor meego OS".
when i asked him: "could this be the meltemi os?", he was kinda surprised that i even know about such things and answered "YEAH! it was calling meltemi!". of course i wanted to know as much as possible about everything he experienced. he told me that the OS was pretty much done. he also told me that there were several prototypes taken by employees as nobody gave a ***** anymore about anything since they already knew that they will be fired in some months. and he talked not about prototypes like the pics posted in this thread. he ment prototypes in "black boxes", means with provisional housing. he also mentioned some cool features like a back-cover that recognize touch-gestures for quick navigation. also he ment, that a buddy of him actually own such a prototyp (or at least owned back then)...i will ask him whether he could contact him for more information.

oh and he told me something funny too: the employees dont give a crap after they were informed about the cacelaton of meltemi and other linux projects, so they just watched movies and drank beer and ate chips or played card games some months before they were fired.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to v0id For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
today i had a conversation at work with a colleague and he told me that he was a trainee @ nokia ulm and developed for a "successor meego OS".
when i asked him: "could this be the meltemi os?", he was kinda surprised that i even know about such things and answered "YEAH! it was calling meltemi!". of course i wanted to know as much as possible about everything he experienced. he told me that the OS was pretty much done. he also told me that there were several prototypes taken by employees as nobody gave a ***** anymore about anything since they already knew that they will be fired in some months. and he talked not about prototypes like the pics posted in this thread. he ment prototypes in "black boxes", means with provisional housing. he also mentioned some cool features like a back-cover that recognize touch-gestures for quick navigation. also he ment, that a buddy of him actually own such a prototyp (or at least owned back then)...i will ask him whether he could contact him for more information.

oh and he told me something funny too: the employees dont give a crap after they were informed about the cacelaton of meltemi and other linux projects, so they just watched movies and drank beer and ate chips or played card games some months before they were fired.
I heard similar things from a contact I used to have who lived and worked in Nuremberg, and had business (with Nokia) in Ulm.

He did however say that there was a last ditch effort to gather up all the remaining devices (and destroy them) before the office was finally shut down. Presumably as part of Elop's scorched earth, leave nothing behind strategy.

Maybe I missed it, but I never heard about Jolla courting ex-Meltemi developers or hiring m/any of them. Seems strange, given its apparent Meego / Harmattan base.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
More information on Meltemi that I stumbled onto:

http://mynokiablog.com/2014/11/25/my...d-safest-best/

http://mynokiablog.com/2014/11/27/my...ia-clipper-qt/

This is somewhat old now but I don't think it's been mentioned on TMO, at least not in this thread.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Great to see the OS and the device(s) seeing the light of the day!

The OS was more or less ready but the hardware integration certainly was not. The screen looks like 3.5", probably it is because that was what the first wave of Meltemi device(s) had. Some suggest the OS is extremely light-weight and use very up-to-date linux components wherever possible. I have never seen Meltemi OS in action but the description was it had N9-like application launcher, notification pull-down and event page probably like fastlane on Asha. Cannot wait to see the video tour!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 314 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Russian Federation
Good News. Looks I finally found HW RM-784.
I don't knew is it wiped or not, but HW build pretty high: Prototype B2.4 HWiD: 0240. If all would be good, will get it in the end of March 2015.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DirkDagger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Curious question...

If anybody holds Meltemi-OS powered device in their hands... Wouldn't it be possible to request source code for open-source parts of Meltemi from Nokia-or-Microsoft? And maybe, in far away future, reverse-engineer the closed blobs?

Since Meltemi OS was intended as replacement for Series 40... How close are Meltemi prototypes to Nokia Asha phones?

Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

Tags
eskmaemo, meltemi, nokia, prototype, unreleased