Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
The majority of people who picked up the N9 and just wanted to use WhatsApp would probably never have even signed up on TMO in the first place if that had happened
So basically for something such as WhatsApp to be RE'd you need a large enough set of people with the same itch so that there is at least one of them with enough knowledge to RE it but without enough fanatism/Stallmanism

I suspect such a large set of people is only possible when basically a big % of N9 owners demand it i.e. when they cannot run the official client via emulation -- but maybe we should ask the actual N9 Whatsapp client devs

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
Molome?
THANK YOU! I've been trying to remember this one all day it seems.

Valid point (I agree with both you and javispedro just to be clear).
All jesting aside, I have to say that javispedro is more correct than I am but in this case, we're coming from different angles. I can actually see his point though.

The majority of people who picked up the N9 and just wanted to use WhatsApp would probably never have even signed up on TMO in the first place if that had happened
100% agree.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Yes. I was expecting to use this example history of recent migrations as an example of the reason on why you don't need a large `application baggage' to be a successful platform. In my opinion, thus, having Android applications does not imply or is even a necessary condition for reviewers ditching their `preciouss'.
I think we're discussing two different things. Applications is thinly veiled talk for features. Any platform that I choose will invariably have the features I want. Connectivity to web, web services, instant messaging with picture sharing, social media, online storage, note taking, sketching and do so in an efficient manner. I'm ecosystem agnostic, but features I do require. Or I'll get it from another precious shiny, shiny.

Obviously, because you are cutting off the emulation, the net result of the isolationist tactic is that you have less access to popular and not-that-popular programs. I fully acknowledge there is a tradeoff here. The benefit is that, because such lack of access to popular programs implies more demand for native programs, there are more native programs.
I agree 100% with everything stated here. In fact, thank you for saying it better than I ever could have.

I am realistic: if you're interested in having access to as many programs as possible, then I'm certain the emulator strategy will work much better for you.
Can I be honest here and say that I see it as a compromise or way to add time to your product viability? If not today (native), then emulate until a native version arrives. It's a compromise that I only welcome because it shuts up the naysayers on the spot. But it assumes I have the patience to wait for the native apps to come.

But precisely because you will be content, you will not call as much for native applications (e.g. to developers on this forum) and the net result is less native applications. Therefore, (a) `isolationists' lose (b) Jolla loses.
To not be the content, you have to control the flow. That means something seriously needs to change. The isolationists might be onto something; however it needs momentum. And the need for native applications that bring features to the forefront instead of apps that collect data and sell it.

I'm game for stuff like Tox.im to replace Skype. But for that to happen, Jolla needs to be as disruptive as Hades and folks that have been isolated need to discuss openly and clearly why better options exist. And folks will have to be willing to jump ship and learn new things...

Oh hell. We're doomed.

Yes, money and marketshare deliver native applications. There are two plausible scenarios:
a) Jolla device ends up getting money and marketshare
b) Jolla device never gets money and marketshare
It's not so black/white to me. I think something new will happen since we're now a gadget based world full of features, frameworks, sharing information and very short attention spans. Disruption now would be quite easy once you establish new parameters.

...thus I lost a bit more faith in humanity, but that's another story.
The scenarios you've listed out have led me to your aforesaid sentiment all too often. I'm folding back into hope. Emulation is a gateway drug for some. For me, it'll mean that the initial step(s) might gain momentum easily. Let's hope that's the case.

Great points all around from you. Thanks for sharing them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
All great points guys and very interesting, but please MODS move those Android-compatibility-a-plus-or-a-curse posts to a separate thread, how is this user experience on Jolla?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Well, we developers are users too and with a device like the Jolla, where you can actually develop on the device, "user experience" takes on a larger meaning.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Please share your developer experience with Jolla, not just Jolla anticipation and worries about ecosystem and if android is gonna help or not, that is hardly an experience yet, just speculation, not for experience thread

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Dude, we're almost a 1000 posts in, lighten up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Dude, we're almost a 1000 posts in, lighten up.
That's just the first week ^^ (check the dates lol)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
That's just the first week ^^ (check the dates lol)
Time to start PR1.1 thread.

Kidding aside, can anyone tell me whether searching in Mail app works well? Also, can I edit quotes when replying? How about copying texts in a mail?

Does anyone know how Viber and Skype work on Jolla?

I also wonder how Facebook and GTalk messaging works. I am currently using Windows Phone and Facebook messaging is horrible (notifications are very problematic) and GTalk is not integrated. I miss N9's messaging capabilities. Is there instant notifications when a Facebook or GTalk message is sent to me?

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience