Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I am a fan of Google, but who here isn't?
Anyone who values their privacy, I guess.

I bought the N900 for positive reasons, but it was only available recently. Android's been around for a couple of years now - I could have got an Android device. They do lots of fun things.

But I found I just couldn't bring myself to participate in the GoogleTracksYourLifeAndOneDayTheyWillSellItToWhoev er{BuysThemOut/MakesTheLaw/TakesThemByForce} program.

It's not that I mind people knowing what I talk about, where I am, what I'm interested in, who my friends are and so on. I'm generally very open with people I meet.

It's that, one day there will be something ugly like a war or whatever, and if it happens to be where I am, all that past knowledge raises the risk of being classified digitally as on the 'wrong' side, along with all my friends, perhaps just because of who my friends are and what they got up to. It does already happen in a small way, if you engage in political activism or have the wrong accent / racial characteristics in an airport.

Some things you can't hide, and it's silly to get paranoid. There are lots of positives to the cloud. /but still, I'd rather not have every little whim of detail about everything I did throughout every day and with whom in just *one* company's cross-referenced database. Diversity is good.

I'd rather keep more mystery about who I am and who I know, just in case that day arrives where I am.

The Google phones can be used like that, but you lose a lot of the reason for buying them if you don't use lots of Google services with them. I'd rather be able to mix and match different things from different providers.

So I found myself actively not choosing a Google phone, despite them being great devices that are plenty of fun....

I won't be channelling all my personal activity data through Ovi services, either...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by Batmensch View Post
fatalsaint: still, the OP seemed to say the N1 didn't multitask. Hard to say that up to 6 isn't "multi"
I did say that, technically I was right *and* wrong. As Google's help page for the phone mentions:

When you open an application, its screens open, but the previous application doesn't stop; it keeps on running: playing music, rendering a webpage, and so on. You can quickly switch among your open applications, to work with several at once. Android and each application work together to ensure that applications you aren't using don't consume resources unnecessarily, stopping and starting them as needed (you don't need to quit an application when you aren't using it).
More or less that means it closes out the programs when it thinks you don't want them anymore, but it doesn't really keep instances open. I consider multitasking to guarantee *keeping it open* and the ability to switch between open instances and close then as *you* need, not as Android *thinks* you need. So this is multitasking to an extent, but not true multitasking.

Honestly I'd be afraid of this draining the battery really fast, but I won't comment on the battery till I've given it time to really give some consistent results. (aka Me not playing on it for hours cause it's a new toy :P)

Source: http://www.google.com/support/androi...168452#1147812

The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nexus One buyers discover the joy of reverse logistics:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18639...omplaints.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
That's not surprising, Google prefers to help people through the web (email or Google Groups). Though their Google Group forums in general are pretty helpful. Must save them alot of money (calling centers and staffing them, or even paying a company to do it for you can be expensive).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
And the winner is? Google. Even if you buy the N900 most likely your homepage is set to google.com.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

Input(typing) I've always disliked touch screen only phones because there's no tactile feedback for keys so I don't know when I'm on the edge and pressing down might select the next key over. The N900 indulges me and lets me type really insanely fast. The Nexus One introduces voice input for text. And it actually works. Unlike the older days of Dragon Naturally Speaking, straight out of the box it just.. Works.. Something I'm only just starting to get used to. So far I've decided it makes up for the lack of a physical keyboard as it's accurate enough that when I'm sick it can still figure out what I'm saying 6 times out of 10. Long as I don't ask anything too strange

Being Australian with my Aussie accent I have never found a decent voice recognition program that works. Getting any of them to write out "A dingo ate my ...." generally doesn't have very accurate results.

I guess the Nexus One is aimed at being primarily sold in the US but it would be nice to know if it works on people who don't have American accents.

Cheers
Rip

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I saw the Adobe dudes video showing off N1, visiting NG website and playing a video and MiniClip. All of which worked fine on my N900 right now even. I have to agree, the flash video needed a bit of buffering and still stutters a bit. Nothing that a bit of creative optimization won't fix if Nokia/Adobe wants... As for the Google apps, I don't see any reason why Google wouldn't want to port most of them to Maemo. After all, the more people using their services the more money they get, so far Google has been pretty platform independent, supporting all most all major mobile/computer OSes.

Originally Posted by nashith View Post
As for the Google apps, I don't see any reason why Google wouldn't want to port most of them to Maemo. After all, the more people using their services the more money they get, so far Google has been pretty platform independent, supporting all most all major mobile/computer OSes.
Google would if Maemo had a bigger installation base (to justify the cost to them to have people working on Maemo version of their apps), other then that there's little reason for them not to as you pointed out.

Edit: Just read on Lifehacker that apparantly the voice feature requires an internet connection to use. Is this true?

http://lifehacker.com/5443156/androi...=Google+Reader

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-09 at 03:20.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Google would if Maemo had a bigger installation base (to justify the cost to them to have people working on Maemo version of their apps), other then that there's little reason for them not to as you pointed out.

Edit: Just read on Lifehacker that apparantly the voice feature requires an internet connection to use. Is this true?

http://lifehacker.com/5443156/androi...=Google+Reader

Yes it does require an internet conn to work and in fact the slower the connection the worse the accuracy. On wifi its very accurate, anything less and your mileage will vary. With no connection its not actual functional at all.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
I guess that's not to be unexpected..

Voice recognition does require a lot of resources (even on desktop/laptops). Still a pretty cool feature. I'll have to try it out someday.