Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
As RS-MMC cards are expensive and hard to get a 2 GB one, I used a modified SD card (the "cut open and glue to a piece of plastic"-method) instead. Please, do remember to install Fanoush's SD card kernel flash. In my case MMC was mounted read only, despite correct fstab settings, leaving all LXDE applications inoperable

The Following User Says Thank You to mrp For This Useful Post:
I went for the 3-in-1 micro SD usb adapter from dealextreme. The result is pretty much stuck in the mmc slot (using tweezers is fine, though), it works well.

Sounds interesting...
I still use my 770 all the time.
Just a few questions.

How much space does this take? A whole 2G card? That seems like alot to me. I have one tho, but I use it for MP3s and such. How much space will this leave me?

Do I understand correctly that, because of the nit-env-lxde install problem, it actually doesn't work with a GUI (lxde) currently? Or did I misread that?

Looks good. I've been keeping my 770 at OS2006 as it works well for what I do and the HE seem like a possible road to nowhere eventually. Thanx for the work!!!

desiv

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Monroe, La
Successfully have Deblet running on my 770 with help from Stskeeps and some changes to the instructions.

I was able to follow the chain of dependencies and get nit-env-lxde installed. After removing the dummy start-stop daemon and rc.d init file it booted up fine.

I'm looking forward to getting the wifi working....

-r2

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm using a 2 gig MMC and have 744mb free after installing deblet. I think I made the swap 240 mb or so...

Last edited by r2d2rogers; 2008-10-31 at 17:13. Reason: adding more info...

The Following User Says Thank You to r2d2rogers For This Useful Post:
Thanx. 750M should be enough for some music files and such.
I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

You mentioned WiFi. Is there an issue with that or just something you haven't got around to yet? Can deblet use the binary driver or is there an OSS driver yet?

Thanx,

desiv

Never mind.
Found wget here:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2006/wget/

Thanks

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2008-11-01 at 17:18.

--update--

OK, just checked and it's a network issue getting to that server, so I'll try it later and post then.

--new update--

It's back, although I can't believe I waited for a 4 line script. :-) I could have typed that in. Oh well...

Thanx, desiv

----------------------------------------------
I am having trouble with this line:
# wget http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/start-stop-daemon (put this in /root or something)

I haven't received a response from the server yet. DNS resolution is working, but no DL. (I'm on "try: 2")
Is that site working? Alternate site?

Thanx,

desiv

p.s. What are the odds that a minute or two after I post, I get the file? :-)

Last edited by desiv; 2008-11-02 at 17:31.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hi!

I've just got my second 2 GB RS-MMC card (around $10 on eBay!), and I'm itching to install Deblet on my 770 (although I'll probably have to wait a bit due to a shortage of time and and excess of things to do, coupled to my suspicions that a neighbor has a 802.11n router nearby :-( ).

I have this preliminary question: Can I install it in the second partition in the MMC card? My current card has a 3 partition setup (1st FAT, 2nd OS2008HE, 3rd OS2007HE) and I'd like to use one of the pre-existent bootmenu entries to boot (and I would like to avoid having to change the already working card!).

Thanks!

Pablo B.

Ok, having problems.
nit-env-lxde didn't install as in this thread. So I installed nit-env-basic instead.
Finished the install.

Now I can boot into a shell, but it's a 770, so no keyboard, no way to log in.

I'm trying to boot into deblet recovery (ethernet device?), but my host won't show me a usb0.
I have also tried recover as a serial device, and still no usb0 on my host machine.

I've used my standard OS and Ubuntu live.

If I plug in a USB network cable I have, I get the usb0 device, so my machine is working. But of course, the 770 would need to be configured, and I have no keyboard on the 770.

---update---
At some point, I had flashed my 770 for host mode. I just had to reflash to disable host mode.

Installing now.. Interesting issue I am having is that my root fs is coming up RO. (Well, it says rw, but it's ro and I have to mount -o remount,rw to be able to write. I think I'll try a kernel upgrade..

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2008-11-02 at 23:09.

Looks like I got it! (Thanx Stskeeps!)

I had two issues, but I think they were related.

I went through the install and couldn't install nit-env-lxde. So I did the nit-env-basic.
And finished the install.

Then I could boot in in console mode, but was having some problems.
/ filesystem was mounting read only and apt-gets weren't happy.

I think that was because I finsihed the install instructions, which had me restore the files from there non-dummy state to the originals, but I wasn't technically done installing yet.

Anyway, after alot of installs and errors about hal, it finally finished.
Now it's up and swap is mounted and / seems to be rw.

Had I left the dummy files in:
ch# rm /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d; mv /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d.REAL /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d

ch# rm /sbin/start-stop-daemon; mv /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL /sbin/start-stop-daemon
..until after I was done with the installs (instead of running those lines after I was done with the apt-get install nit-env-basic), it probably would have gone smoother.

Anyway, I have 868M free on my memory card right now.

Thanx again,

desiv

The Following User Says Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet 770 experiment