If they want to have more people get their phone, then they need to make it work on more frequencies.
Even the N9 works in the US but was not released there. Because the N9 has all 5 bands for 3g, but the Jolla phone does not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
That's right. Jolla failed because it tried to make a mass-market consumer smartphone.
That's not exactly what I'm trying to say. And, in fact, I think Jolla still has quite a good chance of achieving a successful mass-market consumer phone OS; they've identified areas where Apple / Google are weak (BRICS localization, security, America-based centralization with all the various ways that can be corrupted). They've created a pretty and user-friendly UI on top of a powerful mobile OS infrastructure. There's no reason why they couldn't actually gain some market share with what they've produced.

What I'm trying to say is that Sailfish could not be produced by the open source community. Open source coders are not going to donate huge portions of their lifespan supporting a UI built for novice users, because open source coders are naturally themselves not novice users. The most obvious way to create a situation where a person writes code that will be used mainly by other people is to offer that person something in exchange; in particular, money.

Thus, I reason that a user-friendly UI (as defined in the way that Apple and Google define user-friendly -- that is, usable by technical novices) is best produced in the private sector, by closed-source means.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You'd think the moment an alternative to Apple/Google would come out, folks would buy it... instead, they seem to be quick to disprove of whatever is offered and want to walk away quickly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Meego was a misstake, Maemo is the right answer
i dont think even jolla deserve a place at here then

The main problem for Jolla focuses on two things:
1: Economic model: what did they try to do to earn a stable continuous amount of income? Advertisements? Subscriptions fees? A steady flow of new devices with the manufacturers paying a fee per device for Sailfish?
If you don't get it right to have a stable income...well, that just ends all. Period. There's no debating about that.
I think Jolla should let their contributors pay a small subscription fee for the updates. Let's say somewehere around €5 per month or less.

2: open source, but not regarding to news. I've read big issues on several channels, but not from Jolla itself. Do they have to hide something? I've asked many times for the stock internet browser to have the option to change the user-agent (a base feature for a mobile browser), without any response. "No, it's not possible", or "No, it's not our focus now" is a response, rather than no response. Jolla, talk please!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
mistake ?
right answer is ipill

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You'd think the moment an alternative to Apple/Google would come out, folks would buy it... instead, they seem to be quick to disprove of whatever is offered and want to walk away quickly.
Because there is huge difference between something new(when android and iphone came out) and alternative to already mature and strong player in existing segment. To challenge them you need not only offer what they have but add something that they have to get users from their side to yours. And if you don't have that you at least should build strong community starting with existing supporters and not scary them and use them as just resources.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
You're sort of right Copernicus but for the wrong reasons.

It's rare that the open source community attracts user interface designers of any worth. Often it's the same programmers working on the back end code that do the front end and what a programmer will put up with as a UI is often miles away from a user. Often it's a reflection on the underlying function and they've not thought about how a user interacts first and this is where Apple usually wins. Eg. A programmer coding a map application would have just slapped a +/- zoom button on, Apple came up with pinch to zoom.

The UI you get is therefore often self selecting in the open source community. You'll get 1000 programmers remaking Windows XP because that is easy and it suffices.

It'll be interesting to see where Sailfish now goes without a designer.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So whom to blame?

Aliens, Greece or just bad luck
Immigrants?
Just kidding. Most people would call me an immigrant too.

Edit: Added Dave's quote which was left out.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Last edited by The Wizard of Huz; 2015-12-23 at 01:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Guys.... Will Jolla return back to their position after the big disaster?
Some people say yes, some say no......

I think it's time for all of us to take the red pill...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post: