Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for the dillema of how to distribute - I would still say that "encrypting" database or merging closed-source modules with open-source base would be quite pointless, as dishonest people will be able to bypass it (with more or less effort). Having everything open sourced makes it less work for you, with - probably - same results - honest people will pay for it as you request.
I agree, usually it is not worth the effort to do so, I just brought forward some procedures that could be used if so desired.

There's one alternative which I would probably use myself if I'd create an application with cross-platform target;

I'd release the application as open source (of course! I cannot really even imagine ever writing in order not to release as open) but with a license so that the Maemo/Harmattan/SFOS versions would be available without charge, and the iOS/Android/WP versions would be with a commercial license.

This makes sense in multiple ways;
  • It promotes the platforms with a smaller user base
  • It is a giveback to the community
  • There already exists a commercially viable distribution method for the latter OS'es

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@juiceme, what a brilliantly simple idea!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
One suggestion would be:
provide the open-source program in the usual way (maemo extras, etc.) and then, on request per e-mail plus payment you reply with an encrypted database that the user must place in a given directory.
I kinda like this idea too. With asymetric encryption you could even devise a system whereby multiple different keys could be used to decrypt it. With a system clever enough, you might even find out which key was used to decrypt it if it ever escapes to the wild.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: