How I can play Full HD videos on my n9?
What player I have to install?

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
short answer : you can't (99% never will )

longer answer : poor gpu cannot play full hd videos .

Hi! Due to the slow cpu and graphic chip, it's not possible to play full hd videos on the N9. But IMHO the playback of full hd videos on the N9 doesn't make any sense since the display resolution of the N9 has a resolution of 854x480 pixels only. Moreover, as the N9 has no HDMI port, you can't stream videos in more than standard resolution to a TV-set. My advice is to reencode the videos on your computer before transferring them to your N9. Use the settings described in this article: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...oding_settings

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
Hi! Due to the slow cpu and graphic chip, it's not possible to play full hd videos on the N9. But IMHO the playback of full hd videos on the N9 doesn't make any sense since the display resolution of the N9 has a resolution of 854x480 pixels only. Moreover, as the N9 has no HDMI port, you can't stream videos in more than standard resolution to a TV-set. My advice is to reencode the videos on your computer before transferring them to your N9. Use the settings described in this article: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...oding_settings
sorrt but sgs2 screen res is 800x480 and you able to play full hd video there, i repeat samsung galaxy s2 able to play full hd video,

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
sorrt but sgs2 screen res is 800x480 and you able to play full hd video there, i repeat samsung galaxy s2 able to play full hd video,
you missed his point.

"Full HD" is a bizarre industry term that means "1920x1080 pixels without interlacing".

playing videos where the size in pixels of the images displayed exceeds the size in pixels of the screen is a waste of computation.

the CPU or GPU needs to spend valuable time {and battery life} downscaling each image to fit in the viewing window.

the fact that the Shamsnug Goolaxy S2000 can do this comfortably may in fact be an indication of it being wastefully overpowered. not to say that the Nokia N9 isnt slow, or that the Goolaxy isnt fast, i dunno.

anyway, this problem can be avoided by downscaling the video first to fit the dimensions of the target screen. you lose only information that the GPU would be throwing out anyway.

the n9 can comfortably play the highest quality video that the screen can possibly show. i seen em!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
playing videos where the size in pixels of the images displayed exceeds the size in pixels of the screen is a waste of computation.

the CPU or GPU needs to spend valuable time {and battery life} downscaling each image to fit in the viewing window.
For many people these days, their time is more valuable than that of the phone CPU/GPU. Not many want to spend time re-encoding their video collection (plus storing two copies of the same video) for use on their phone.

the n9 can comfortably play the highest quality video that the screen can possibly show. i seen em!
Not always. It depends on the codec.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
i said the n9 CAN play 854x480 videos comfortably. i did not say it ALWAYS did, nor that it could play ANY 854x480 videos.

if you are trying to play a video of you putting your n9 in a bucket of whiskey, it will probably not play very well on your n9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
i said the n9 CAN play 854x480 videos comfortably. i did not say it ALWAYS did, nor that it could play ANY 854x480 videos.

if you are trying to play a video of you putting your n9 in a bucket of whiskey, it will probably not play very well on your n9.
I never re-encoded any of my 720p movies for the Samsung Galaxy S which I owned before N9,

Mplayer, Kmplayer combination is somewhat better but the problem still persists with a lot variety of 720p videos, and re-encoding is a tiresome activity.

yes the goolaxy has swankier graphics. {20 Mtriangles/s vs 14 Mtriangles/s}

this probably has some relation to it playing videos more smoothly, but its also likely that the formats arent being hardware accelerated at all on the n9, or some other issue like that.

since youre always transcoding videos exactly the same for a given device, i find it to be quite straightforward. i do it automatically with an ffmpeg script, and i find it to be not much slower than just copying the gigantic movie in the first place.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Goolaxy win, whatever you gonna said, but i still choose n9 over it,
btw my optimus black was able to play any video up to 720p, and p970 has same gpu (sgx530) cmiiw