So I need to aquire an tab for the missus. This thing needs to be around 7-9 inch. Have INSANE battery life and be rather robust. It will probably be used to read PDFs and some other mild appz garbage. Doesn't need GPS, Camera, GPRS, ethernet, or USB. MicroSD a must.

It will of course have to be android ***shudder*** as frankly there is no other OS available at the moment.

Suggestions please?

In B 4 joojoo tab.

The motorola xoom seems really pretty

-edit-

Disregard that, its 10.1 inch.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post

It will of course have to be android ***shudder*** as frankly there is no other OS available at the moment.
Never heard of the Blackberry PlayBook?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I am happy with the Galaxy Tab. Bought one for wife in September last year, had time to examine it thoroughly, then took one for me in June.
Frankly, if you judge it from an user point of view, it outperforms the N900 in comfort of use. The seven inches form factor makes it readable and pocketable, and the speed of operation is commendable - especially with the Gingerbread update.
Battery life is enough and generally young girls, not the ubergeek type, tend not to stay fiddling 60 minutes each hour with their computer gear, so if it's enough for me (not young, not girl, reasonably geek) should be enough for your gal.
After rooting, you can have Debian chroot onboard if you need something more hackish.
So, this for my 2 eurocents.
If you want to browse a selection of good programs, browse the link in my signature.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Price limit?

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I am happy with the Galaxy Tab. Bought one for wife in September last year, had time to examine it thoroughly, then took one for me in June.
Frankly, if you judge it from an user point of view, it outperforms the N900 in comfort of use. The seven inches form factor makes it readable and pocketable, and the speed of operation is commendable - especially with the Gingerbread update.
Battery life is enough and generally young girls, not the ubergeek type, tend not to stay fiddling 60 minutes each hour with their computer gear, so if it's enough for me (not young, not girl, reasonably geek) should be enough for your gal.
After rooting, you can have Debian chroot onboard if you need something more hackish.
So, this for my 2 eurocents.
If you want to browse a selection of good programs, browse the link in my signature.
+1 on that. I own a Galaxy Tab, its 7" display is just intelligent, I wonder what smartass decided that size, perfectly mobile and TAB-ish at the same time.
If you don't care for GPS, GPRS, ethernet... you can buy the WIFI version only. I guess its battery life, hmmm, well 4000mAH seems good for my usage.
EDIT: Oh, and it isn't highly priced these days, you can get one for 400$, maybe less.

Last edited by ammyt; 2011-08-03 at 14:59.

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
Price limit?
For the sake of discussion consider no limit. However, suggestions like Xoom are immediately discounted on account of the fact it is complete overkill for someone wanting read PDFs.

So I assume the Tab is relatively easy to root n' stuff. I am looking into it now

For the sake of discussion consider no limit. However, suggestions like Xoom are immediately discounted on account of the fact it is complete overkill for someone wanting read PDFs.

So I assume the Tab is relatively easy to root n' stuff. I am looking into it now
Sure. Are the size specifications final? I have an Advent Vega, costed me £200, has Tegra 2, community Honeycomb build(still not finished) but has 10.1 inch screen. The main negative aspect of the device is likely the viewing angle of the screen.

Otherwise, I would definitely say Galaxy Tab.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Concerning the Tab, Froyo gets rooted with z4root or superoneclick. Gingerbread, so far, needs to flash a modified kernel.
Nothing that a N900 user isn't used to do many, many, too many times

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
So I need to aquire an tab for the missus. This thing needs to be around 7-9 inch. Have INSANE battery life and be rather robust. It will probably be used to read PDFs and some other mild appz garbage. Doesn't need GPS, Camera, GPRS, ethernet, or USB. MicroSD a must.

Suggestions please?
In B 4 joojoo tab.
Dell Streak 7 - About $200 (US) - runs Android 2.2

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post: