Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by krutznikov View Post
I can assure you the problem is far more complicated. I changed my SIM card twice and no change, now I even get the error message without sim card... it's only temporary (just read the others posts), enjoy using your telephony functions until the last day!
Thanks, I read all the thread, and I saw your problems, but I didn't have all those symptoms and reading all the thread scared me to death.

I have a slightly thin SIM card, with a little bent chip (don't want to change it, costs a lot of money to do that on a business subscription sim card). The thing that makes my sim move is a loose SIM door (that little door you close the sim with), so if the SIM would be a little more thick it would be perfect.

I hope my gsm chip won't get loose like the other users. This device is 2 years old...

I can assure you the problem is far more complicated. I changed my SIM card twice and no change, now I even get the error message without sim card... it's only temporary (just read the others posts), enjoy using your telephony functions until the last day!
Day 2 after I posted, phone functions are completely dead. I did the following:

- Opened up the device, got my soldering iron, heated up the whole zone (didn't open the shield) by overheating the soldering iron ant touching the schield untill everything became verry hot. Got a tip of a pen and blow with all my force to clean out if any dust is under that shield. Now going to the SIM Reader. I heated up all those points that other user said to hit with a hammer.

- Now, I just added some epoxy to the USB port and connected him by epoxy to the nearby shields, for protection.

- Put it all back together and boot it with a Vodafone SIM. SUCCESS!

- Put back my old COSMOTE SIM and... WORKING.

- Apply some good shocks from every side, even doing some drop tests on the carpet and guess what! WORKS LIKE CHARM.

I attached some pics:

Name:  20130501_001.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  20130501_002.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  20130501_003.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  20130501_004.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  20130501_007.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  34.1 KB

This worked for me. Now I am testing what really caused the problem. I am going to walk for a while in my house with the phone in my pocket and see if I get the same problem. I will edit this post after a while so I can se if it works or not!

*****METHOD CONFIRMED FOR WORKING!!!*****

I'm glad it's working again with minimum effort!

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-05-03 at 20:13.

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Yes. This problem is quite common. I've had three N900's all with same problem. Nokia replaced two of them under warranty but my current n900 is well past warranty age now. I have tried all the methods to fix the problem that are documented in this thread, unfortunately to no avail. The two times Nokia replaced them, they told me that they couldn't fix the problem for me, hence the replacement devices. I still live in hope for a fix. It's gutting, because I always take really good care of my devices.

Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
Yes. This problem is quite common. I've had three N900's all with same problem. Nokia replaced two of them under warranty but my current n900 is well past warranty age now. I have tried all the methods to fix the problem that are documented in this thread, unfortunately to no avail. The two times Nokia replaced them, they told me that they couldn't fix the problem for me, hence the replacement devices. I still live in hope for a fix. It's gutting, because I always take really good care of my devices.
Ok, I saw people put some spring and destroyed the shield to get to those parts. Try heating up the shields and press down the shield against the parts. Then heat up all the connectors of the SIM Reader. Do this with a soldering iron, and be sure it's hot like hell! BUT WARNING! Don't even go near the plastic parts!

If this is not working, heat up the GSM chips, press them against the MB, but trough the shield, get some epoxy, and inject epoxy on top of the chips. Then until the epoxy dries up (10-15 mins up to 1h) put something heavy to press it on the MB.

I just fixed mine this way, it's working perfect right now, but I'm going to give it some more time before I can say it really works.

P.S. Didn't use the epoxy on the chip method yet.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
^^Hey wait dont try the epoxy(assuming its the whitesh or transperent thing that when dries up is rock hard) as it will render it unrepairable for future for correct operations like reheating with paste or reballing it.
And how the hell heating with welding iron came to your mind??? That scared me as hell
you better try off the spring thing thats way better then yor current ideas.
Removing or ill fitting sheild is no offence

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
^^Hey wait dont try the epoxy(assuming its the whitesh or transperent thing that when dries up is rock hard) as it will render it unrepairable for future for correct operations like reheating with paste or reballing it.
And how the hell heating with welding iron came to your mind??? That scared me as hell
you better try off the spring thing thats way better then yor current ideas.
Removing or ill fitting sheild is no offence
And how removing the shield didn't scare you? Heating up works because the chips are made of ceramics, ceramics are heat conductors. Touch with a very hot soldering iron the shield and press against the chip, hold it there for 1-2 seconds and then remove the soldering iron head, and press with your finger even more while blowing cold air. The ceramic transmits the heat, and does the trick to fix some imperfect contacts.

Also my epoxy is not solid rock, it's more like hard rubber. You can still remove it pretty easy.

EDIT: I did this even knowing it's risky, but this is how I fixed my faulty cpu on a SPV mobile phone. I dropped it and half of the cpu unit was detached of the motherboard. I took my soldering iron, a temperature sensor that could take up to 180C. I heated up the chip to 100-110 C for about 1-2 seconds, then blow cold air. After about 10 minutes of doing this, the chip was in place, put it back together and it worked like charm, and it worked until my flex cable to the screen broke and got a new phone. I did the same thing here with the N900, but this time i heated up the shiled, and press it against the chip, so the temperature won't be so high, and until now it did the trick. I don't want to edit my first post yet, because I want to give it more time to see if it works!

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-05-02 at 13:42.

TheoX am si eu aceasi problema se mai poate repara pana la urma?!
E-mail splicer2006a@gmail.com sau daca poti pm cu nr tau de tel
Multumesc

Originally Posted by Daniel23 View Post
TheoX am si eu aceasi problema se mai poate repara pana la urma?!
E-mail splicer2006a@gmail.com sau daca poti pm cu nr tau de tel
Multumesc
Salut Daniel, nu, din pacate ce postam noi pe aici sunt doar rezolvari temporare. Adica sunt mici fix-uri care sa te mai tina de la 1-2 zile pana la cateva luni. Problema este mult mai adanca decat zgarierea simului sau lovirea lamelelor citirorului SIM. Daca tie ti-a facut asta si inca nu te-ai apucat ca mine sa il stresezi cu pistoale de lipit sau mai stiu eu ce metoda, eu iti recomand sa-l duci intr-un centru de reballing/reflowing (cauta pentri zona ta pe google) si la un pret de 200 - 300 de ron iti realiniaza si relipeste cipul de GSM. Asta e cea mai sigura metoda. Restul metodelor pot duce la deteriorarea acestor cipuri si defectarea permanenta a dispozitivului.

------------------------------------------------------

And now for all of you, the only way to fix this problem is to find a local X-Box service or SONY PS service that fixes the red ring of death problems or stuff like that. Those services can and will do reballing/reflowing processes. Take your phone there, explain the problem, pay the price and return home with a working N900 device.

I wish you luck!

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
And now for all of you, the only way to fix this problem is to find a local X-Box service or SONY PS service that fixes the red ring of death problems or stuff like that. Those services can and will do reballing/reflowing processes. Take your phone there, explain the problem, pay the price and return home with a working N900 device. I wish you luck! seriously this is one of the best solution for your device put this in n900 hardware wiki and thread

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Salut Daniel, nu, din pacate ce postam noi pe aici sunt doar rezolvari temporare. Adica sunt mici fix-uri care sa te mai tina de la 1-2 zile pana la cateva luni. Problema este mult mai adanca decat zgarierea simului sau lovirea lamelelor citirorului SIM. Daca tie ti-a facut asta si inca nu te-ai apucat ca mine sa il stresezi cu pistoale de lipit sau mai stiu eu ce metoda, eu iti recomand sa-l duci intr-un centru de reballing/reflowing (cauta pentri zona ta pe google) si la un pret de 200 - 300 de ron iti realiniaza si relipeste cipul de GSM. Asta e cea mai sigura metoda. Restul metodelor pot duce la deteriorarea acestor cipuri si defectarea permanenta a dispozitivului.

------------------------------------------------------

And now for all of you, the only way to fix this problem is to find a local X-Box service or SONY PS service that fixes the red ring of death problems or stuff like that. Those services can and will do reballing/reflowing processes. Take your phone there, explain the problem, pay the price and return home with a working N900 device.

I wish you luck!
Sunt din Craiova am fost cu el si mi-au spus ca nu au ce sa ii faca ,am obs ca tu esti din Bucuresti si ma gandeam ca poate cunosti un service bun la care sa ma indrumi .

Tags
antenna, communication, depressing, disabled, error, problem, telephony