Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Where did you get the error message "Network connection error"? When trying to connect to the WiFi network or starting the browser?

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
When trying to connect to the network.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Davis, CA
Hi All,

Thought I'd bump this thread up again so we could get a conversation going.

I've been having this problem off an on as well.

For the past few days here has been my experience.

Wake up, still connected to wifi from the night before. Use wifi around the house no problem.

Leave the house, switch over to AT&T Edge on the way to work.

Come back home in the evening, pick up my phone to upload a picture I took during the day, and I'm not connected to wifi. Try to connect to wifi through the internet connection manager and only get a "Connection Failed. Try again?" pop up after 15 seconds. I can try again, and it fails again.

I've tried going in to manually reset the wlan, but I'm not sure how to pull it off on the n900:

Code:
/user/home # ifdown wlan0
ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured

/user/home # ifup wlan0
ifup: ignoring unknown interface wlan0
The only remedy I've found so far is rebooting.

I'm running the latest firmware, I do have extras-testing and extras-devel open and a few apps installed, but nothing too crazy. Most notable would be the Haze-Telepathy stuff.

I've capture some dmesg output from trying to connect, but its none to revealing for me:

Code:
[29282.470397] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780 
[29282.486083] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.6)
Is there any other log I could try to peek to get more information about this?

Thanks,

J

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrox For This Useful Post:
I confirming that I have the same problem. When the device has been using a 3G/EDGE connection, it occasionally fails to reconnect to WiFI. The only remedy I (and others, it seems) have found, is to reboot the device. After that it works normally.

However, I've noticed that I can connect to unprotected WLANs just fine when this happens. I'm using WPA2. Perhaps this has something to do with this issue?

I wonder if we should file a bug report about this?

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Would like to confirm this as well. Occasionally after going on and off wifi the device refuses to reconnect with the "network error try again?" message, reboot fixes the issue. Sometimes this happens within a day or so from booting, the last time I ran into this was after five days of uptime. There seems to be no consistency or a common cause (that I can find).

Dmesg unhelpful, using wpa2-psk (both access point and n900 set to wpa2 only). Scanning for networks and connecting to unencrypted networks works okay.

...next time this happens I think I'll install syslog and see if there's anything in there...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I have had this problem once in awhile with campus wifi. What i understood from bugzilla conversations is that you might want to try from connections advanced settings other category turning power saving off or intermediate.

Lets hope next FW fixes this.

.edit
Normal result from above is that it uses more power.

..edit
And fukit. doesnt solve my problem i cant connect.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-29 at 13:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
..edit
And fukit. doesnt solve my problem i cant connect.
Tried that too, no help. And would have been odd if it did... the device connects several days in a row with the same AP with no problems with maximum power saving and minimum transmission power, then suddenly refuses, while all other (unencrypted) APs still work.

Been also trying to debug this from the router point of view (restarting AP, restarting router, modifying settings) but nothing seems to make a difference. I don't even see a connection attempt in the router's logs so I suppose it fails on the device side somewhere...

The Following User Says Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
if you have access to AP then check this
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...866#post500866

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Nah, no help.

Some more interesting observations: (now that it has happened again)

- If I restart AP, no help
- If I disable WPA2 on the AP and connect with no security at all, it works
- If I re-enable WPA2, it fails to connect again
- Syslog reveals nothing (same messages as in dmesg)
- It took this time a bit over a day for the n900 to drop off wifi, last time it did it in 5 hours and the record is 5 days of being connected
- Tried restarting networking (no help) and wlancond (no help either)

I wish there was some way to debug this... maybe I'll go and read some documentation now

The Following User Says Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Have you tried to connect to a different AP with similar security settings. I spent ages with a similar issue but found when I went to parents house it suddenly connected to their AP. When I got home it suddenly cleared. I suspect that the is potentially a corrupt cache in play here somewhere for the last AP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:

Tags
connect, connection, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, network, problem, wifi, wireless, wlan