... 'cause I don't know any other German users on any other boards :-)

Some time ago I saw an interesting all-weather vest on a German mail-order catalog (Pro-Idee), the "Brandungsparka" made by Wellensteyn.

Originally they made stuff for sailors on the North Sea, but nowadays their gear seems to be used a lot by German horse riders. Comments on Web forums (translated by Google :-) are generally very positive, and there were also eBay shops selling it at the time.

Well it thought it over for a while, and when I decided to order one, they had all but disappeared from the face of the Earth... gone from eBay, and also from Pro-Idee, who went from listing them with long lead times (5/6 weeks) to "non-deliverable"...

Anybody here knows anything about this ? Is it just some regular Xmas-time crunch, or is there maybe something going on with Wellensteyn itself ?

TIA,
fp

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
Nope, sorry... not a clue...

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
The parka is still available on their website!?

Beware of my English! Beware of my English!

Last edited by rok; 2008-12-20 at 22:55.

It is still listed in the product list on their site, yes, but it's not an online store, I don't think they sell directly. Anyway the prices there are totally insane (389€ !), while the street prices are typically over 50% less (169 bei Pro Idee).

Maybe I'll try that "Kontakt" form of theirs and see if I get an answer :-)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Phone them.

Man, that's *so* twentieth century... just like my German :-)

I will if all else fails, but I sure hope they speak at least english !

Thanks for that - it doesn't solve the problem but I did learn two things.

One, about Google Products : the "Shopping" link isn't available on the French Google site (yet), so I didn't even know about it...

Two, Google's handling of its international sites is incredibly (maybe increasingly?) weird... so much so that I can't tell what that mysterious query returned for you !

When I clicked on your link, I went to Google.de but with an English user interface. There was barely more than one page of hits, all in the USA, at 299$ :-)

Finding that strange, I went up one level to the Google.de home page. The UI was displayed in French, and there was no "Shopping" link. I clicked on the link to display the German interface, and "Shopping" appeared (Doh, French are too stoopid I guess :-).

Then I ran the search again and this time I got a half-page of only German links : Pro-Idee and some second-hand offers from Quoka.de (all of which I had seen through Google.fr already).

The fun part is that now I must have a cookie somewhere because if I click on your link again, I get the German UI on google.de and the German results, not the US ones :-)