Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Korean maker UMID has released a MID whose product name is ... MID.

UMID MID MID

Though, it's a 1.1GHz Atom, so I expect it'd be an even bigger power hog than the 800MHz Atom based MIDs. And, unlike the other MIDs, I don't see a mention of a Linux variant.

It's a clamshell, so it's sort of like a Nokia E90. I think that'd be an interesting format for a Maemo device... (as I've said before, an updated E90 with both kinds of North American 3G (AT&T and T-Mobile), complete with full phone functionality, and Maemo, would be quite interesting to me) we'll see how the UMID MID MID does though.

Another cheap and ugly little laptop that will end up running Windows (slowly), for a couple of hours. So, what is the point?

It is nothing like E90. It is a laptop. Not pocketable by any measure.

What I hate about many mini clamshell devices, is that the border around the display is way to big. This looks so ugly, and is unused space.

The Following User Says Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
It is nothing like E90. It is a laptop. Not pocketable by any measure.
While it certainly looks to be a little bigger than an E90, it does look to be in the pocketable category to me. I haven't seen actual measurements, though.

It is DEFINITELY not a laptop, though. Way too small for that. Looks to be too small to even categorize as a netbook.

And the reason it's "like an E90" is:

It appears to be pocketable.
It's a micro-laptop clamshell format.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It is DEFINITELY not a laptop, though. Way too small for that. Looks to be too small to even categorize as a netbook.
Has the same form factor (but smaller size) as a laptop. Opens up like a laptop. Has keyboard like a laptop. Has standard PC hardware like a laptop. Runs Windows like a laptop. Sucks battery like a laptop. It is a laptop.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I agree it's a laptop, but if anyone is interested in a battery-sucking micro-laptop, a better option seems to be the Raon Everun Note which looks very, very similar (except with a better screen and keyboard) and has the advantage of actually being available for purchase:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=174416

Supposedly there's an SSD/Ubuntu version coming later this month.

Roger.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
It's much smaller than the Everun Note - look at this 4.8" screen. Overall size is therefore a little bit larger than Aigo MID etc.. Standby time is some days at least, linux drivers have been announced. That means for me: very interesting device.

Sorry, but no, it's not a laptop, anymore than an E90 is a laptop.

Laptop implies a size that relates to the size of your lap. That's part of the distinction, say, between a "laptop", "netbook", or "portfolio clamshell palmtop". If you want to say "mini-laptop" (instead of netbook), or "micro-laptop" (instead of "portfolio clamshell palmtop") that makes sense, as you're diffusing the inherent size assumption of the term "laptop". But simply saying "it's a laptop" is silly (at best).

And this device is definitely not a laptop.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
It's much smaller than the Everun Note - look at this 4.8" screen.
This UMID device might only have a 4.8" screen, but it has a big bezel around it so I think the devices may be similar in size.

The Everun Note is 200mm by 118mm by 28mm. It has a 7 inch 1024x600 touch screen. Quite decent, apart from the fact that it runs XP and gets three hours battery life "in idle mode"!

Roger.

Last edited by eiffel; 2008-11-13 at 16:45.

Work ordered me an Everun Digital Note with Ubuntu and a 32GB SSD. I also ordered the extended battery, and the external charger (holds the standard battery, but I don't know if you need to swap batteries to use it, or if you can use it like an 'external battery' to boost your internal battery). It was supposed to be available on the 7th, so hopefully it wont take too much longer to get to me.

So far it looks like the best "netbook" category device for what I want. Small enough to fit in my gadget bag, vendor supported ubuntu, touch screen, decent storage. But, I do wish it had a convertible tablet format (like the fujitsu lifebook U810), and I wish they were actively marketing the PCI-Express-Mini card options so that I could get an AT&T HSPA card for it, or something (you can do it, except it doesn't have a built-in antenna, so you have to break open the case and install one, which someone did... I just don't want to have to void my warranty for that).

So, anyway, Raon Everun Digital Note ubuntu version + antenna connection for the PCI-Express-Mini card slot + convertible tablet format == probably ideal netbook for me.

That still leaves open the question of the ideal pocketable .... right now I think the G1 almost fills that category (almost; battery life is a little short, mini-USB cable is oddly placed, and there's some missing, but non-critical, software features ... and I wish the device was more like an HTC Touch Pro with a larger screen area, and a tilt screen).