Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I just installed kdm (kde display manager). How can i use it? I would like to logout from hildon and use kdm to start kde 4.1 (example)

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-10-25 at 13:18.

how can i logout fron hildon. it seems to be impossible?

How the hell did you install KDM? Did you compile it along with KDE or something?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
chroot I'd guess...

meizirkki , you do realise the tablets only have one single user that you can use (aptly named user and excusing root) so why would hildon let you log out?

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
chroot I'd guess...

meizirkki , you do realise the tablets only have one single user that you can use (aptly named user and excusing root) so why would hildon let you log out?
I think he wants to set at startup which which enviroment to use, which is a nice idea because of the small amount of ram the Internet Tablets have.

I think he has KDM installed via debian chroot. Even if you would start up kdm instead of hildon directly, you could't be able to start hildon again, because it is out of the chroot.

However it would be nice to have a login manager to select hildon/kde or whatever sessions.

The Following User Says Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
I did not use chroot.

KDM is available in mkruisserblinks KDE 4.1 repository.

That is the same repository i have kde 4.1 installed from. No need for the chroot.

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
It would be nice to have multiple users too (but ablolutely useless)

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
It would be nice to have multiple users too (but ablolutely useless)
Are you kidding??? I'd love to be able to easily switch users so I could let my kids use it for the games etc, and know they wouldn't mess up anything important.

My Palm used to have a pgm to lock them into one program, was nice.

I tried following i killed matchbox and hildon and started KDE 4.1 then i was able to log out, but the screen becomes black and it seems that kdm does not wiok correctly in diablo. kde shows a lot of dbus errors anyway so maby it does not work. Its fun to play with kde, i started xephyr and then kde inside the xephyr. KDE in maemo is a lot faster and eats less memory than KDE in debian chroot.

EDIT: Funny, all maemo apps can be ysed in xephyr with kde exept microb. Microb starts in hildon, even if i click the menu item in kde.

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-10-26 at 08:49.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
EDIT: Funny, all maemo apps can be ysed in xephyr with kde exept microb. Microb starts in hildon, even if i click the menu item in kde.
Maybe Qole's stuff can give you a hint?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...light=kbrowser

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: