Fortunately I got hotsync to work, but only partially so.
The street addresses don't sync over from my desktop to
my N800 when I input contact info into Palmdesktop. Everything else does. Oddly everything does
sync from n800 to desktop. I've looked for settings
that may be limiting what gets synced but I don't
see anything. So am I missing a setting somewhere or is
this just sort of disfunctional?

thanks,
Neil

OK, I figured out what the problem was. I now have the addresses syning also when typed into Palm Desktop. Solution: The address in Palm Desktop is set on Work address by default. There are two ways to change this. One is to switch to the 'Home address' field at the top row of tabs. The other way is to tap the down arrow at the address line and change the setting to home there. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it appears that the VM version of Palm's address book only has one address field. So, apparently what was happening was that since it was listed as a work address in Palm Desktop, it didn't get synced over to the N800 VM. I know this doesn't make much sense. I would think that the VM address book version would have more flexibility here. I also could be wrong about what is going on. Anyway, this is what solved the problem for me. Ironically, when I input an address into the VM address book and then sync it over to the Palm Desktop, the address in PD reads as a work address. Go figure All in all though, my syncing is working really well in both the calendar and address book.

Neil

I just noticed that my address database was missing a lot of street addresses. I just searched and found your thread describing the same problem - none of the "home" addresses get synced to the GVM address book. Unfortunately I don't think your solution will work for me. It sounds like I'm running a different version of Palm desktop (I recently downloaded the current version). It doesn't have the tabs and pulldowns you describe to change the address fields around.

What a disappointment. I was really excited when I found a PIM solution with GVM, now I'm back to square one.

Originally Posted by rhkuo View Post
I just noticed that my address database was missing a lot of street addresses. I just searched and found your thread describing the same problem - none of the "home" addresses get synced to the GVM address book. Unfortunately I don't think your solution will work for me. It sounds like I'm running a different version of Palm desktop (I recently downloaded the current version). It doesn't have the tabs and pulldowns you describe to change the address fields around.

What a disappointment. I was really excited when I found a PIM solution with GVM, now I'm back to square one.
Hang in there. If mine can work, I would think yours can too. I think I just had good luck with the software versions. I'm using Palm Desktop v4.1.4 I downloaded and installed Datebk5 I gave the version of that in a previous post here, can't remember it off the top of my head. Using my n800 to write this

Neil

Thanks for the info. I'm running Palm Desktop 6.2.2. I'll see if I can find the older version and downgrade. I don't have Datebk5, but are you saying that it is necessary for proper address syncing? I'm assuming not, but just wanted to double check. I have heard that it's a great calendar replacement.

Originally Posted by rhkuo View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm running Palm Desktop 6.2.2. I'll see if I can find the older version and downgrade. I don't have Datebk5, but are you saying that it is necessary for proper address syncing? I'm assuming not, but just wanted to double check. I have heard that it's a great calendar replacement.

Well, I have only used Palm Desktop v4.1.4 since I found I could download that for free. I just googled and I think I found that at one of Palms companies. But just search on it and you'll find that version for free. So, with this desktop version I had no luck getting the datebook that comes with the GVM to work. But when I tried Datebk5 in combination with Palm Desktop v4.1.4 that worked ,as I said. I don't know. There may be other datebk versions or combinations that work, but this combo works for me. And it can't hurt to try the downgrade since it's free. The datebk5 can be found at Pimlico software. It's free for 45 days then costs something like 25 bucks.

Neil

The Following User Says Thank You to sungrove For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm